Windows 10: Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?

Discus and support Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have windows 10 pro server running storage spaces. Currently there's 7 drives. 2x256GB SSD, 2x4TB HDD, 3x8TB HDD. Right now they are all in one big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FlyingTexan, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?

I have windows 10 pro server running storage spaces. Currently there's 7 drives. 2x256GB SSD, 2x4TB HDD, 3x8TB HDD. Right now they are all in one big pool in parity mode. How do I turn the 2 SSD into cache drives to make the pool faster?

:)

FlyingTexan, Feb 7, 2021
  2. FormUser Win User

SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces (pull down the top item):

"You can use a variety of types of drives with Storage Spaces, including USB, SATA, and SAS drives."

However, when I wanted to use a USB flash drive to create a storage pool, the Storage Spaces Control Panel said: "No drives that work with Storage Spaces are available."

Will a SSD with a USB interface work for Storage Spaces?

FormUser, Feb 7, 2021
  3. FormUser Win User
    SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces

The Storage Spaces with the USB HDDs has been removed, thank you!

Then I tried creating Storage Spaces using USB flash drives that I happen to have handy, but seemingly against what Microsoft says in the given link (...can use...USB drives...) Storage Spaces on Windows 10 cannot use USB flash drives.

Now I am looking into creating Storage Spaces using SSD USB drives that I would have to buy, I don't have them handy.

So again, returning to the original issue in the original post, does anyone have actual experiences using SSD USB drives for Storage Spaces?

FormUser, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?

Need some SSD caching advice

I will add to Eldest's information.

I'm using Intel SRT on my Windows Server 2008R2 box to pair up a 750Gb RAID1 array and a 240GB Agility 3 SSD for accelerating all of my virtual machines (ie: a non-boot volume.) Rather than speeding up the boot time of the host server itself, which almost never reboots, I'm instead speeding up the disk performance of all of my virtual guests.

The performance is drastically different when comparing the VHD performance from the spindles themselves versus SRT in caching mode. I highly suggest it.

EDIT: The storage subsystem of that server looks like this:

Intel ICH10R Controller
    • 320GB RAID 1 array (OS boot + apps)
    320GB WD Scorpio Black
    320GB WD Scorpio Black​
    • 750GB RAID 1 array (VHD storage)
    750GB WD Scorpio Black
    750GB WD Scorpio Black
    240GB OCZ Agility 3 (SRT acceleration enabled)​
    • LG 12x BDRW
    HighPoint 2720SGL SAS RAID Controller
    • 6TB RAID 6 Array (WHS storage)
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue
    1TB WD Scorpio Blue​

Albuquerque, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?

1. Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces? - Similar Threads - Using SSDs cache

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  4. Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces: Thanks in advance.I recently upgraded my storage spaces and increased my storage size. I added an 18tb drive to an existing storage space. During this process I increased my storage space size logical to 80TB. I have 5X 18tb hard drives. The drives are set to parity, since...
  5. Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces: Thanks in advance.I recently upgraded my storage spaces and increased my storage size. I added an 18tb drive to an existing storage space. During this process I increased my storage space size logical to 80TB. I have 5X 18tb hard drives. The drives are set to parity, since...
  6. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  7. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  8. shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  9. Why does storage space show incorrect used space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does storage space show incorrect used space?: Storage Space is telling me I'm using 7.26 TB of 7.26 TB on Storage space E: but everything else is telling me I'm only using 1.66 to 1.7 TB. Below is a collage of various utilities reporting storage usage as well as the result of a CHKDSK command. Based on other guidance...
  10. Error using storage spaces/mirror

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error using storage spaces/mirror: I upgraded from W8.1 to W10. After the upgrade my mirrored volume was 'gone' (created with disk management). Fortunately I was able to restore the data on one of the disks. I cannot manage to recreate a mirror on Windows 10. I tried using disk management as well as...