Windows 10: Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

Discus and support Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Today I got a new 2TB hard drive. I'm using it with the intention of backing up my storage (video games) drive (D:). I install the drive into my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shmink_, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

Today I got a new 2TB hard drive. I'm using it with the intention of backing up my storage (video games) drive (DUsing "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished? :). I install the drive into my computer. I boot up to add this new drive to my already existing storage pool. Click on "Add drives", choose the new drive that was just added. It goes ahead and does it's raid magic for a while and I get back to the following https://i.imgur.com/LL3WpN6.png

I do a couple of restarts and still no change.

Side note: The only wacky thing I can think of was that this was a brand new drive. There wasn't any formatting done on it before adding it to the drive pool. I saw it as an option within the Add drives section and thought "it should work otherwise I would have been told otherwise."

TL;DR: My "Storage pool" in Storage spaces is reporting a 3.63TB pool capacity but my file explorer and disk management program are reporting just 1.8TB?

submitted by /u/Shmink_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shmink_, Jul 4, 2020

2. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    that should help deal with removing and adding drives:

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10.

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Belariad Win User

Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

Storage Spaces issues adding drive

Thanks for the suggestion Railtech. I have tried that before but when I type that it asks me to confirm, I confirm, and then it doesn't say anything else. Not sure if did what it's supposed to, but it still crashes after about 5 minutes like it has been.

Hydranix, from what I understand RAID is very inflexible and has it's own querks. I couldn't find a straight answer on how to simply add a new drive to expand the storage space in RAID not to mention expanding with a *gasp* different sized drive. I wanted something that could grow with me and didn't all need to be on the same raid controller. Regardless, I'll consider your suggestion after I get through this.

Belariad, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

1. Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished? - Similar Threads - Using Storage spaces

2. Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space: I migrated my SSD and two WD Blue 2TB hard drives to a new build. The two drives were originally a mirrored array. I wiped them in anticipation of the move to the new machine (old case had 9 3.5 drive bays, new case had 2). I converted the drives to basic disks and cloned my...
  3. Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections: Hi We have two 1Tb discs setup as a mirrored pool providing 1Tb of usable storage - it is all working as expected. The two discs are both SATA 3Gb/s. We are considering purchasing two larger SATA 6Gb/s discs and moving the pool, this seems easy enough to do The...
  4. Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added

Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added: I have a Storage Spaces pool with a single parity space created. I was adding a new drive. I'll call the drives OLD and NEW. I did he following steps over time: 1. plug the NEW drive into an external drive dock 2. add the NEW drive to the storage 3. verified that NEW and...
  5. One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?: I went to bed last night with my One Drive storage space 80% used. I turn on my computer this afternoon and somehow my storage space being used has leapt to 92%! I've been deleting photos, and old files, but the amount of storage spaced being used isn't going down! I'm at my...
  6. Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive

Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive: I have been running storage spaces on my Win10 computer for quite some time now (and am happy with it, even when I lost a drive it recovered nicely). It worked without being annoyingly overcomplicated, and I really just needed slow, safe space. My setup: 3x hard drives, the...
  7. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  8. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  9. Storage Spaces issues adding drive

Storage Spaces issues adding drive: I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add them, but I only have space for 1 more at the moment (only 6 SATA connectors on my MB). After adding it (and appearing...
  10. Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?: I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS. When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up. I have done some research and heard...