Windows 10: Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

Discus and support Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi We have two 1Tb discs setup as a mirrored pool providing 1Tb of usable storage - it is all working as expected. The two discs are both SATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iwaddo, May 9, 2020.

1. iwaddo Win User

Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

Hi

We have two 1Tb discs setup as a mirrored pool providing 1Tb of usable storage - it is all working as expected.

The two discs are both SATA 3Gb/s.

We are considering purchasing two larger SATA 6Gb/s discs and moving the pool, this seems easy enough to do

The problem and hence the question is the that the motherboard only has one remaining 6Gb/s port.

Can I even create a pool with two identical drives on different SATA speed ports?

If I am able to create the pool what can I expect in terms of performance, will the mirror perform to the speed of the slowest drive? This is what I'd expect.

An alternative would be for me to install a card with two SATA 6Gb/s ports, this might be my better option.

Thank you for any help

:)

iwaddo, May 9, 2020
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

333t, May 9, 2020
  3. Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, May 9, 2020
  4. Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

Storage Spaces setup doesn´t recognize my SATA disk

I want to use ReFS (Reciellent File System) to store my files on Windows 10 because it seems like ReFS is safer for file storage than NTFS. As far as I understand, you need to configure Storage Spaces with mirror space as well to really make use of the ReFS
    monitoring and file maintenance.

Read more on the HowToGeek website:

How to Use Windows 10’s Storage Spaces to Mirror and Combine Drives

My problem is as follows. I have one SSD and two 2 TB SSHD:s my laptop. The SSHD:s are of exactly the same kind, but one of them is installed as a SATA disk and one is installed as a USB disk in a HDCaddy where the optical drive used to be. When I try to
    setup Storage Spaces the SATA disk is not shown as availible only the USB disk in the HDCaddy is shown, why is that?

If my research is correct, I need to have two disks in storage spaces and format as ReFS to get the protection against file corruption that NTFS don't provide so I'm very grateful for any suggestions.

My system is Windows 10 pro Version build 17134.

EDIT AUGUST 11TH 2018:

I suddenly realized there is a Windows recovery partition on the SATA disk, and I suppose I need to delete it to get Storage Spaces setup to recognize this SATA disk. Since I have several backups of the OS, and a couple of bootable USB sticks, I don't need
    a recovery partition. But I'm not ready to go ahead just yet. I need to do som more file backups first and dwell on this for a while, I don't want to rush into such a big change.

salvemundum, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

1. Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections - Similar Threads - Using Storage Spaces

2. Storage Space drive accidentally wasn't connected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space drive accidentally wasn't connected.: I have a two-drive pool set to mirror. One of the drives was accidentally disconnected somehow for about a month. I now have a drive that is missing a number of files.I have tried resetting the drive that has files missing but keep getting an error "configuration database...
  3. Storage Space drive accidentally wasn't connected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space drive accidentally wasn't connected.: I have a two-drive pool set to mirror. One of the drives was accidentally disconnected somehow for about a month. I now have a drive that is missing a number of files.I have tried resetting the drive that has files missing but keep getting an error "configuration database...
  4. Storage Spaces using Powershell

Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  5. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  6. Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space: I migrated my SSD and two WD Blue 2TB hard drives to a new build. The two drives were originally a mirrored array. I wiped them in anticipation of the move to the new machine (old case had 9 3.5 drive bays, new case had 2). I converted the drives to basic disks and cloned my...
  7. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size: I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could...
  8. One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?

One Drive Storage Space used Suddenly increasing?: I went to bed last night with my One Drive storage space 80% used. I turn on my computer this afternoon and somehow my storage space being used has leapt to 92%! I've been deleting photos, and old files, but the amount of storage spaced being used isn't going down! I'm at my...
  9. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  10. Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?: I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS. When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up. I have done some research and heard...