Windows 10: Using Surface as second monitor

Discus and support Using Surface as second monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently started working from home using a laptop from my employer. I have a Surface tablet and would love to use miracast to use it as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eric B5280, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Using Surface as second monitor

I have recently started working from home using a laptop from my employer. I have a Surface tablet and would love to use miracast to use it as a secondary display for my work laptop. If I select "Connect" on my laptop only my roku appears as a device, I cannot find the Surface. However, if I select connect on my Surface I do discover the laptop and can cast to it. But for work purposes this does not help as I need work specific resources only available through the laptop.

This indicates to me that both device are capable of casting and receiving, but for some reason the Surface just isn't appearing. Is there something I am missing in getting the Surface setup as a second device?

The Surface is setup as "available anywhere" under the "Project to this PC" settings.

:)

Eric B5280, Apr 24, 2020
  2. GeoffO11 Win User

Microsoft surface second monitor

I have upgraded to the Windows 10 on my Surface and lost my second monitor???

GeoffO11, May 23, 2020
  3. Microsoft surface second monitor

Hi Geoff,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Let us try to connect second display using DVI port or other VGA port available on your PC and check if the second display works. If second display works in other port, then the possible cause for this issue may be discrete video card driver.

Step 1: Run the Hardware and Devices
    troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Step 2: Update the Display driver.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adaptor.
    • Right click on the video driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Restart the computer.
    Also, see: How to add and use a second monitor
    with Windows 10
    Created by Andre Da Costa.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, May 23, 2020
  4. Using Surface as second monitor

Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Using Surface as second monitor

1. Using Surface as second monitor - Similar Threads - Using Surface second

2. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  3. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  4. Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock 2 Not Recognizing Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock 2 Not Recognizing Second Monitor: My workstation is set up such that I have a Surface Book 3 SB3 connected to a Surface Dock 2 SD2. The SD2 is in turn connected via two USB-C to DVI-D dual link cables to two external monitors. I've noticed an issue that when I connect my SB3 to my SD2, only one of the...
  5. Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock 2 Not Recognizing Second Monitor

Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock 2 Not Recognizing Second Monitor: My workstation is set up such that I have a Surface Book 3 SB3 connected to a Surface Dock 2 SD2. The SD2 is in turn connected via two USB-C to DVI-D dual link cables to two external monitors. I've noticed an issue that when I connect my SB3 to my SD2, only one of the...
  6. Surface Book 3 + Surface Dock 2 Not Recognizing Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7

Second monitor upside down - Surface Pro 7: Hitachi external monitor displays upside down when "Duplicate these displays" is selected under Display settings. With other options Extend these displays, or Show only on 1, or Show only on 2 the external monitor shows the correct orientation. PC is Surface Pro 7 with...
  8. Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive"

Surface Pro 7 - Second monitor "Inactive": Hello, I see a number of others with surface pro 7s have had this same issue and all the threads are locked with no solution. Until a couple weeks ago, my surface pro 7 worked fine with my docking station and two monitors. Now when I go to plug into the docking station,...
  9. Using laptop as a second monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using laptop as a second monitor?: Ive been trying to use my old crappy laptop as a second moniter on my PC. My computer doesnt have wifi, its using and ethernet. I know you can project screens but i cant due to not having wifi. Is there a way to use an HDMI cable to connect the two? submitted by...
  10. Second monitor for Surface laptop 3

Second monitor for Surface laptop 3: Hi there, I have a Surface Laptop 3 and am trying to connect it to a second monitor. On the settings page, the "detect" button does not detect a second display. I am trying to connect to a Dell monitor, model 2208WFPt, through VGA, using a VGA to Micro USB adaptor. Any ideas...