Windows 10: Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

Discus and support Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Could some one give me step by step instructions on how to use either a system repair disc or a system image on a external hard drive. My computer has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BudE, Nov 19, 2018.

1. BudE Win User

Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

Could some one give me step by step instructions on how to use either a system repair disc or a system image on a external hard drive. My computer has been acting up, losing files, documents, music and pictures, right clicking on start button will not produce context menu, and clicking on edge does not open it. I created a system image and a repair disc a month or so ago, but do not know how to use them to see if my problems could be fixed. Also, can't I just reinstall windows? How do I do that without a CD. None came with the computer; Thanks for any help.

:)

2. momo.bob Win User

System image recovery from external hard drive

So basically I had windows 10 pro 32bit, I wanted to upgrade to 64bit.

I created a system image on my external hard drive, so that I can restore later.

After I installed windows 10 64bit , I went to advanced start up and tried to restore THE SYSTEM IMAGE.

I got this message from Microsoft:

The selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment.

To restore this system image:

1. Insert a system repair disk or a Windows installation disc (x86)

2.Boot the computer from the disc.

3. Choose 'Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier' and then select this system image.

Does this mean that 32bit system image cannot be accessed in 64bit windows version.

Any help ???

momo.bob, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Anon7861 Win User
    Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

System Repair Disc

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

What is system image?

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the
    contents of the system image.

What is system repair disc?

A Repair Disk is a bootable disk that is used to boot the computer if there is a problem and you are not able to boot into windows. The System Repair Disk can also be used to replace the windows installation with the System Image backup.

I suggest you to refer the follow Microsoft help article to turn on file history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Note: The steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

1. Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc. - Similar Threads - Using system Image

2. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot use System Repair Disc: I created a system repair disc and it does not boot. In reading support, some necessary files may be missing. Is there a way to download the the files to create a system repair disc?...
  3. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use System Repair Disc: I created a system repair disc and it does not boot. In reading support, some necessary files may be missing. Is there a way to download the the files to create a system repair disc?...
  4. Cannot use System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  6. System Repair Disc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System Repair Disc: what type of disc do i need to use to make a system repair disc e.g. CD-R or DVD-RW? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disc/cae802a8-3358-40a7-99ed-d164cb8f435e
  7. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  8. Restore from system image, no system repair disc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore from system image, no system repair disc: I have an HP laptop running windows 10. The screen was badly broken so I sent it to HP to be repaired. They recommended that I backup my files beforehand because they may need to completely reset the computer. So I created a system image on an external SSD of mine. I now...
  9. Restore system image without system repair disc

Restore system image without system repair disc: Hello. I've created a system image and was trying to restore it. I did not have a blank disc, so I did not create a system repair disk. I got into Advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Image Recovery After selecting the system image, the computer...
  10. System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive

System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive: Dear Sirs- I am running Windows 10 Home Edition on an Acer E5 laptop. I just created a System Image Backup on an external hard drive (Seagate Slim 2 GB). I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! Upon successful completion of the image backup, I...