Windows 10: Using Task Scheduler to Mute System Volume

Discus and support Using Task Scheduler to Mute System Volume in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm wanting to mute my system volume at 10:00 PM each night and unmute at 9:00 AM every day. I installed Volume Concierge but for some reason it's not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mccoady, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mccoady Win User

Using Task Scheduler to Mute System Volume

I'm wanting to mute my system volume at 10:00 PM each night and unmute at 9:00 AM every day. I installed Volume Concierge but for some reason it's not working. I've never used Task Scheduler before but decided to give it a try by following instructions online.

I first downloaded NirCmd and copied it to my Windows Directory then proceeded to try Task Scheduler. As instructed I browsed to the folder on my desktop where I extracted the NirCmd ZIP file, and selected nircmd.exe executable file. To "Mute System Volume" in Arguments I copied & pasted nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1. Once done I created another task to "Unmute System Volume" and in Arguments I copied & pasted nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 0.

This is a desktop PC running 24/7 so I checked or unchecked other settings I thought needed set. Pay no attention to my times I've used since I've been experimenting to try to get it to work. Can you tell by my snapshots of my task to "Mute System Volume" what I might be doing wrong since it doesn't seem to be working?

:)

mccoady, Mar 4, 2018
  2. Bruce Hagen, Mar 4, 2018
  3. When volume is at 0, sound still plays; what is causing this and how can I fix this?

My desktop operation system is Windows 10. When I turn the volume slider down to mute, yet the sound logo on the task bar does now show the logo being mute. Despite moving the volume slider down to mute, sound still plays. When I turn the volume slider
    down on the volume mixer , sound still plays. If I have another web browser play sound, when I turn the volume down on that, the sound does not play. Here is a picture of my issue:

Using Task Scheduler to Mute System Volume [​IMG]

MarBaj2015, Mar 4, 2018
  4. RickC Win User

Have you looked at Nir Sofer's NirCmd volume controls, e.g. nircmd.exe mutesysvolume?

Perhaps a scheduled task using NIRCMD may help?

RickC, Mar 4, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first obvious thing is you appear to have
    nircmd.exe nircmd.exe
    I don't think there should be a second one..

Second thing: from his reference:
    NirCmd Command Reference - mutesysvolume mutesysvolume [action] {Component} {Device Index}

Mute/unmute the system volume.
    In the [action] parameter, specify 1 for mute, 0 for unmute, or 2 for switching between mute and normal state.
    The second parameter is optional, and you can specify one of the following sound components: master, waveout, synth, cd, microphone, phone, aux, line, headphones, wavein. The default value is 'master' (for master volume). Under Windows Vista, the component name must be identical to the one of the device names appear in the sound window of Vista (Control Panel -> Sound). If the device name contains spaces, it must be in quotes.
    {Device Index} is an optional parameter that specifies the sound device index. This parameter is useful if you have more than one sound card. If you don't specify this parameter, the default sound card in Control Panel is used.
    Examples:
    mutesysvolume 1
    mutesysvolume 0
    mutesysvolume 2 waveout
    mutesysvolume 1 master 1
    Vista Examples:
    mutesysvolume 1
    mutesysvolume 0
    mutesysvolume 2 "rear mic"
    mutesysvolume 1 speakers 1
    mutesysvolume 1 default_record

- I can't see the final parameter.

This works for me (nircmd is in the system path in my case so I don't need to specify the exact path)

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  6. mccoady Win User
    @ RickC
    Yes I was using NirCmd - Windows command line tool to copy & paste commands from.
    @dalchina
    Guess I'm still confused like I said never used Task Scheduler or dealt with scripts that often. Yes it does look like I had nircmd.exe nircmd.exe so I changed it like yours but it still doesn't mute. So then I tried browsing from Actions Program Script - C:\Windows\nircmd.exe but that doesn't work either.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are saying? When you get to Actions and it asks you to browse for Program/Script first time I browsed to my nircmd desktop folder where I first extracted it and that didn't work (original snapshot). So next I tried inputting exacting like you have it but that didn't work. Finally I tried browsing to Windows Directory where nircmd is located and used that as my file path but that doesn't work.

I wish the Volume Concierge program worked since it's so simple to use.

mccoady, Mar 4, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    In my case I put nircmd.exe in C:\Windows.

(Of course, you don't have to put it there). But where you put it must be consistent with the path (or implied path) used in the task scheduler. I can confirm that running the task manually toggles the volume icon in the system tray on and off.

(For what it's worth, I run as admin).

Note: you can test this by using the Run box (windows key + R):

In fact that was the first thing I did before using the task scheduler.

Here, nircmd.exe is in a folder on my desktop:
    "E:\User folders\Desktop\nircmd folder\nircmd.exe" mutesysvolume 2

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  8. mccoady Win User

Well when I first extracted nircmd I right clicked and ran as Administrator and was given the option to copy to Windows Director which I did. I also have the original nircmd folder on my desktop but it just has the nircmd.exe along with two other files. How did you get it to show mutesyvolume 2 after nircmd?

Boy maybe just over my head cause I still don't know what I need to do just been trying to follow these instructions Mute System Volume On Windows Lock with Task Scheduler | SumTips

mccoady, Mar 4, 2018
  9. RickC Win User
    My apologies... I wasn't paying enough attention. I do the same as dalchina, i.e. I always copy nircmd.exe to within the system's default filepath. From habit, I copy it to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (and make sure it's un-blocked).

Probably a silly question but have you tried any other nircmd commands (like, for example, nircmd.exe monitor off) just to check the exe is, um, executing as expected?

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 4, 2018
  10. mccoady Win User
    Well my file path is C:\Windows\nircmd.exe unless I use the file path of the nircmd folder on my desktop but neither work. How do you make sure it's unblocked?

No I haven't tried any other commands since I'm not sure I'm doing anything right. Lol

I tried Run > nircmd mutesyvolume 2 like dalchina did but it asks if I want to copy to Windows Directory?

Tried to run a command to open cd door but doesn’t work either.

mccoady, Mar 4, 2018
  11. RickC Win User
    Just right-click on the nircmd.exe file, choose Properties from the context menu and see whether there's an Unblock button or checkbox showing:

EDIT: Never mind... I've just checked and nircmd still works even without being unblocked.

The reason I suggested nircmd.exe monitor off is that it's immediately obvious whether the executable is working.

Apologies in advance but... are you sure you downloaded the nircmd version that's the same as the 'bitness' of your OS? (e.g. NirCmd 64-bit for an x64 version of Windows)?

Whilst I haven't used nircmd for a while, there doesn't appear to be any problems with Win 10 Pro 1709 x64. I used both nircmd.exe monitor off and nircmd mutesysvolume 2 to test... both worked perfectly, so I'm a bit confused why you are having problems.

EDIT: I think I know what the problem is. You're not using nircmd within a commandline window or .BAT/.CMD file.

Try this... right-click on Start and choose either Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin).

(Note: From Windows 10 version 1709 [Fall Creators Update] you may see Windows PowerShell or Windows PowerShell (Admin) instead of Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin). I've just discovered that nircmd won't work from within the PowerShell commandline window so you may need to use Start > Personalisation > Taskbar and change the toggle switch to 'Show Command Prompt' instead of the Windows PoweShell prompt.)

Once a CMD commandline window opens, just enter your nircmd command, e.g. nircmd.exe monitor off.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 5, 2018
  12. mccoady Win User
    Yes I’m running 64 bit Windows 10 and the file path of NirCmd shows it as 64 bit.

I’m copying and pasting the commands from NirCmd - Windows command line tool . I didn’t try monitor off command but did try command to open cd door (changed drive letter) and it didn’t work. Guess I can try that but expect the same results.

I think where I could be going wrong is how I’m inputting the commands on the Action tab. I’m browsing to file path C:\Windows\nircmd.exe which is correct. Now under “Arguments” do I input nirmcd.exe monitor off?

mccoady, Mar 5, 2018
  13. RickC Win User

You're doing fine. My fault for not realising sooner... which is why I amended my previous post.

Open a commandlne window (CMD, not PowerShell) and try nircmd.exe monitor off.

RickC, Mar 5, 2018
  14. mccoady Win User
    Yes that works.

I also just created a desktop shortcut for mutesyvolume 2 and it works.

So apparently it has something to do with how I'm setting up Task Scheduler?

mccoady, Mar 5, 2018
  15. RickC Win User
    Excellent! Have fun playing with nircmd.

Sorry but I don't have any familiarity with Task Scheduler (apart from scripting the deletion of a number of default tasks).

RickC, Mar 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Task Scheduler to Mute System Volume - Similar Threads - Using Task Scheduler

2. Volume Full or Mute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Full or Mute: Issue is volume by pressing buttons moving it up or down or dragging to change it- when it is above 0 anywhere to 100 - the actual volume coming out is exactly the same. When it is 0/mute, nothing comes out. So volume bar doesn't control or influence the actual volume, bar on...
  3. Volume Full or Mute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Full or Mute: Issue is volume by pressing buttons moving it up or down or dragging to change it- when it is above 0 anywhere to 100 - the actual volume coming out is exactly the same. When it is 0/mute, nothing comes out. So volume bar doesn't control or influence the actual volume, bar on...
  4. Use task scheduler for hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Use task scheduler for hibernation: Windows 10 64 Pro ver. 2004 (os build 19041.1165) Most time window will not hibernate after the designated time has past and keeps on running. So I decided to use task scheduler to tell my computer to go to sleep. It works with one exception, it doesn't wait the 30 minutes...
  5. Unable to run Task using Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to run Task using Task Scheduler: Task scheduler using local non-admin account to run shutdown /s not working. Asks for password then gives error that account does not have privileges'. I change the user running the account to admin, run whether logged off or not, not storing password, same error after...
  6. volume mute not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    volume mute not working: When i press the mute volume button on my keyboard, it doesnt mute the volume on my computer. the button isnt the problem though. when i press it, the volume thing pops up in the top left, and shows an x in place of the number thats usually how loud the volume is, so it...
  7. Scheduled task crashing system on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled task crashing system on startup: I have a device that, once I login, after a ~30 second pause, is bombarded with countless command prompt windows, to the point where it freezes the system entirely. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing to stop it; the mouse doesn't even track after the process has been going for a...
  8. Using Task Scheduler to run a task on AC unplug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using Task Scheduler to run a task on AC unplug: Hi all, I'm looking to improve the battery life on my laptop. It's usually docked and plugged in so I leave most of my programs running. However, I want to create a task that in the event of an AC unplug, terminates all non essential background processes (dictated by me). I...
  9. Are there any system messages I can use in Task Scheduler to...?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Are there any system messages I can use in Task Scheduler to...?: I have an HP 15-d089wm. HP provides an AC power management software to auto turn on/off the use of ac power between time x and time y, and only in that maner I am wanting to know if there are system messages I could use in Task Scheduler to set my own rules for when to turn...
  10. Using Task Scheduler without a password

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Task Scheduler without a password: I have Win10 64bit Home Edition. I was following your tutorial for using Task Scheduler to provide automatic scheduling for System Restore. When I reached the final stage it failed. The error message suggested that this was because I was using a blank password. A bit of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task scheduler volume

2. adjust volume windows task scheduler

3. schedule task to mute pc