Windows 10: Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

Discus and support Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 10 successfully on my HP laptop since I bought it, and in particular clicking on the taskbar icons to switch between open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StewartLee1, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

I have been using Windows 10 successfully on my HP laptop since I bought it, and in particular clicking on the taskbar icons to switch between open applications. Sometime yesterday evening, for no apparent reason, this facility has ceased to work. Having found previous discussions about this problem, I have made sure all available Windows updates have been installed, but this has not fixed the problem.

I have a work around which involves sizing every window when I open it so that I can see and click on any new window which I open, but this is frustrating and slows down work considerably. What can I do to get back to switching between windows via the taskbar?

:)

StewartLee1, Aug 3, 2018
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Taskbar icons

Hi,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to show hidden icons on the taskbar.

• Open Settings, and click on the Personalization
      icon.
    • Click on Taskbar on the left side, and click on the
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar
      link under the Notification area section on the right.
    • Turn on Always show all icons in the notification area at the top

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Aug 3, 2018
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Hello,

In Windows 10, you can personalize the settings of your taskbar. If there are multiple applications opened, same applications will be combined under one taskbar button. If you want to change this setting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Click on the Settings app.
    • Select Personalization.
    • At the left side of your window, click on Taskbar.
    • Under Combine taskbar buttons, choose Never.

Kindly update us with the results and if you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

1. Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications - Similar Threads - Using taskbar icons

2. Taskbar missing open application icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar missing open application icons.: Hi,I have a windows 11 23H2with multiply displays. I have quite frequent issue, that icons in taskbar are missing from open applications. Check picture below.It is quite annoying, as I have to click on it to see what app it is or I am looking for. I believe I had same issue...
  3. Taskbar missing open application icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar missing open application icons.: Hi,I have a windows 11 23H2with multiply displays. I have quite frequent issue, that icons in taskbar are missing from open applications. Check picture below.It is quite annoying, as I have to click on it to see what app it is or I am looking for. I believe I had same issue...
  4. Switching between applications in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching between applications in windows: Good day to you all. Question about switching applications in windows 10 operating system. There are several ways to switch between open applications. Two ways out of several more: 1. Using the alt/win+tab keyboard shortcuts. 2. Selecting the desired application on the...
  5. Switching between applications in windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching between applications in windows: Good day to you all. Question about switching applications in windows 10 operating system. There are several ways to switch between open applications. Two ways out of several more: 1. Using the alt/win+tab keyboard shortcuts. 2. Selecting the desired application on the...
  6. Cannot switch between multiple windows of the same application on the taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot switch between multiple windows of the same application on the taskbar: I have a problem with my desktop where if I have multiple windows open of the same application eg. Firefox, steam etc. and try to switch between them by clicking them on the taskbar, nothing will happen, or occasionally they will pop up for a split second before closing...
  7. Cant switch between applications using taskbar

Cant switch between applications using taskbar: Hi All, I've been facing a issue with taskbar applications. whenever i have more than one instance of the same same application like two workbooks of excel or two windows of chrome i cant switch to different application using the thumbnail that comes on application icon in...
  8. Unwanted switching between applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted switching between applications: Dear All, At work we have some issues with various computers that sometimes it switches automatically between programs. This happens when you're typing an email, work in Word/Excel, browse online with Edge/Firefox/Chrome or any other program. But it also happens when...
  9. Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar

Applications open as tiny screens underneath their icons on taskbar: On my laptop, I asked for a Norton Live Update. Patch applied, failed, message to reset to restore product. Now the laptop will display only on an external monitor (laptop display gives only a grey screen), and applications when opened show as tiny screens underneath their...
  10. Taskbar Icons Re-arrange when switching between Desktop views

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Icons Re-arrange when switching between Desktop views: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) - Clean Install with New Machine I just recently started using Windows 10 Multi-Desktop feature inside of the Task View. I organize my taskbar icons(pinned/running) for each desktop. When I switch desktops the Icons will...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. toggle between applications in taskbar

2. to see and switch between open apps on the taskbar click the ___

3. how to switch between task bar icons

4. to to toggle between taskbar on weeke machine,
  5. switching applications in windows 10 icons only,
  6. switching between taskbar icons,
  7. How to Switch Between Open Apps using Taskbar