Windows 10: Using the file explorer address bar

Discus and support Using the file explorer address bar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I typed an entry incorrectly into the File Explorer address bar and it gave me a dropdown menu underneath giving me the option to search for it so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Using the file explorer address bar

I typed an entry incorrectly into the File Explorer address bar and it gave me a dropdown menu underneath giving me the option to search for it so I selected to search for it (in the address bar not the Search box on the far right).
    I then got a Windows Security window which said Connect to Bing.com (with connecting to Bing.com underneath it). The window was asking for a Username and Password. What username and password was it requesting?... because I clicked on Cancel and was taken to Bing search. Is this normal behaviour? Its something I've never come across before.
    What is the Search option that comes up in the address bar dropdown menu capable of searching for..because it took me straight to Bing?

:)

sportsfan148, Jun 23, 2020
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jun 23, 2020
  3. delete address bar history

Hi,

Due to the limited information shared on your post regarding the drop-down list in Internet Explorer address bar, we would like to ask for additional information to help us identify the steps to solve your concern. Please answer the following:

• What is the current build and version of the Windows 10 device that you are using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you referring to the automatic search when typing in the address bar?

We will wait for your response.

Jennifer Cha, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Using the file explorer address bar

How do I clear my File Explorer address bar history?

On Google Search, I found the following recent answer to "How do I clear my File Explorer address bar history?" …

"To delete a single autosuggested URL, start typing the address as you normally would—Google.com in my example. Then, when the unwanted autocomplete suggestion appears, use your keyboard's arrow keys to highlight the suggestion in the drop-down menu below
    the address bar. Finally, press Shift-Delete and poof!Sep 14, 2018"

I've tried this with the Address Bar in File Explorer and the Address Bar in the Toolbar. The problem here is THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK for me.

Does anyone know of an alternative approach which will work?

RetiredEngineer, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Using the file explorer address bar

1. Using the file explorer address bar - Similar Threads - Using file explorer

2. How to get rid of white bar under address and search bars in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of white bar under address and search bars in File Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Axius45 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g3i00i/how_to_get_rid_of_white_bar_under_address_and/
  3. File Explorer - Explorer Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer - Explorer Bar: The explorer bar window on my File Explorer seems to think it's re-sizable now, and when I move my mouse over it, the icon changes to a resizing one. Except, I cannot actually resize it. Does anyone know how to remove this? See the below image for what I mean......
  4. Need help troubleshooting the file explorer address bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help troubleshooting the file explorer address bar: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello! As seen in the above two pictures, my file explorer address bar is currently malfunctioning. Occasionally it will work fine, but acts up without any particular trigger. I have already checked to make sure programs are up to date, also done a malware...
  5. Can't use search bar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't use search bar in File Explorer: Hi, I've found an issue with File Explorer in Win version 1909. The search bar freezes and cannot be used. Very annoying indeed. Referenced also here: https://www.slashgear.com/windows-10-version-1909-november-2019-update-breaks-file-explorer-search-25601307/ Anyone...
  6. Windows Explorer Address Bar Width Change

Windows Explorer Address Bar Width Change: I don't know why but the address bar on Windows Explorer suddenly changed after I restarted "Windows Explorer" from Task Manager as the taskbar was acting up. The width of the address and search bar suddenly increased. I will admit to using Winaero Tweaker to change the...
  7. File explorer address bar repeatedly opening and closing

File explorer address bar repeatedly opening and closing: Whilst browsing file explorer, on the address bar, the 'Previous Locations' down arrow icon will select and repeatedly open and close. I can stop it by pressing any random key on the keyboard, but it will eventually start up again a few seconds later. Is there any way to fix...
  8. Show Full Path in Address Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Full Path in Address Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show Full Path in Address Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Show Full Path in Address Bar of File Explorer in Windows 10 File Explorer shows breadcrumbs in the address bar by default. Breadcrumbs display the hierarchy path of folders that were navigated...
  9. File Explorer address bar turned black

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer address bar turned black: Hi there, to elaborate on the thread title: after updating to build 1709/Fall Creators update, File Explorer's address bar has spontaneously turned black and for the life of me, I can't revert it to white like it was before. My Google-fu is coming up empty here, as...
  10. Internet Explorer revealing the content of the address bar

in Windows 10 News
    Internet Explorer revealing the content of the address bar: Hello fellow bug hunter! Today we are going back to Internet Explorer which despite getting old, tons people still use it. I am much happier with MSRC lately, they are really moving forward regarding Edge, design bugs, and they even extended its bug bounty, which seems to be...