Windows 10: Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

Discus and support Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have two desktop PCs and a surce laptop - all with Windows 10 and connected to the router and each other? via a switch/ethernet. I used to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Pgrfowler, May 17, 2022.

1. Pgrfowler Win User

Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

I have two desktop PCs and a surce laptop - all with Windows 10 and connected to the router and each other? via a switch/ethernet. I used to be able to documents on compter A's hard drive using Windows Explorer to navigate via 'Network' on Computer B. Sometime ago somthing changed and I no longer are able to do this.I keep coming up against 'Credentials' and no matter what I try, I can't access the other computers. I've tried adding credentials including username, full name, email ID registered with User on MS. I have the same username, full name and email ID on all the computers. Even so, o

:)

Pgrfowler, May 17, 2022
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, May 17, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 17, 2022
  4. Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

Network Credentials - Does each computer on a network need a DIFFERENT UserName and PassWord?

Andre, Thank you

I changed the UN for each computer.

I tried accessing the external drives and

used the new credentials to log in and

get the same error message:

"username or password is incorrect"

and suggestions???

thanks

Karen Stavert, May 17, 2022
Thema:

Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

1. Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home - Similar Threads - Using same username

2. Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home: I have two desktop PCs and a surface laptop - all with Windows 10 and connected to the router and each other? via a switch/ethernet. I used to be able to access documents on computter A's hard drive using Windows Explorer to navigate via 'Network' on Computer B. Sometime ago...
  3. Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using the same username to access other computers on a network at home: I have two desktop PCs and a surface laptop - all with Windows 10 and connected to the router and each other? via a switch/ethernet. I used to be able to access documents on computter A's hard drive using Windows Explorer to navigate via 'Network' on Computer B. Sometime ago...
  4. Home Network not connecting with other computers using Microsoft logon

Home Network not connecting with other computers using Microsoft logon: My home network does not work properly. All computers are running Win10 with latest updates. I have four computers on the network, but they don't all see each other. On one computer I use the Microsoft account login, and on the others I just use the standard login and...
  5. Cannot access other computers on my home network

Cannot access other computers on my home network: This is driving me nuts. We have 9 Windows 10 computers in our home all connected to the same network. All of our computers except just one can see and access all the other computers on our home network. I've tried everything I can think of. I recently changed all the...
  6. Messaging to the other computer on home network

Messaging to the other computer on home network: I need the Win 10 home syntax to send a text message to my wife's laptop. Her computer name isasus_laptop and mine is jack-pc. We're both on the home network. Not sure what other information is needed. Also not sure if the command is NET or NET SEND. Both seem to be viable....
  7. \\localhost and access from other computers on the same home network does not work

\\localhost and access from other computers on the same home network does not work: I have three Windows 10 1809/1903 computers in my home network. While two of them can access the shared folders on each other, both cannot access the shared folders on the third one - Error code: 0x80070035. In the third one, \\localhost command does not work either, though...
  8. Unable to access a mapped file in other computer in same private network

Unable to access a mapped file in other computer in same private network: I can see files & drives between computer A and computer B but cannot access. Error message: "Windows cannot access \\fk20\D You do not have permission to access \\fk20\D. Contact your network administrator to request access." \\fk20 is computer A \\fk200\D is...
  9. Accessing other pc's on home network.

Accessing other pc's on home network.: I have 2 pc's running windows 10 pro, on my main pc File Explorer shows my 2 pc's in network but I can't connect with my second pc everytime, it always shows in file explorer but 95% of the time I get an error message, , Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found,...
  10. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network: Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home, I have recently upgraded both to Windows 10. Both were previously running Windows 7 Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time. With the...