Windows 10: Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons

Discus and support Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Whenever a dialog box pops up in Windows 10, if it contains text input fields and clickable buttons/radio buttons/checkboxes, pressing the tab... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hellopaul, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Hellopaul Win User

Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons

Hello,
    Whenever a dialog box pops up in Windows 10, if it contains text input fields and clickable buttons/radio buttons/checkboxes, pressing the tab key steps through every single item in the dialog box, which is very annoying and, to me, pointless. Do I recall that there might be a way to limit this behaviour so the tab key only highlights text input boxes, and not every single element? I can't find anything useful in Windows 10's Settings/Control Panel - am I missing something or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

:)

Hellopaul, Dec 20, 2019
  2. vkaryl Win User

Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various fora, etc. but not in Excel.

Prior to installing Windows 10, the highlight in a text-entry field was either pale grey (on dark backgrounds) or darker grey (on light backgrounds), which is what I'd like to have back.

Any ideas?

vkaryl, Dec 20, 2019
  3. Text highlight not sticking - Post Anniversary Update Issue

Immediately following the Anniversary Update, I have been experiencing issues with text highlighting.

Left click text highlighting rarely 'sticks', or stays highlighted after releasing the left mouse button.

Right click text highlighting doesn't highlight text at all.

I have tried using another mouse (different manufacturer) - same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks

P.s. I've tried some basic troubleshooting such as searching for updated drivers, restarting system, using another mouse (as mentioned)

rowlands111, Dec 20, 2019
  4. Cliff S Win User

Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

Are you talking about doing this, but with gray and not red?

Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons [​IMG]

1. Open up Notepad
    2. copy the registry settings in the code box(left click 3 times slowly)
    3. Paste into NotePad
    4. You will need to find the RGB values(if the ones I have supplied are not what you want) for the color you want, and change them.
    5. Create a registry file by saving(to Desktop or Documents) as TextColor.reg
    6. Double click the reg file.
    7. Sign out, sign in and your finished.
    8. To change the values just right click the file and choose edit, make the changes, save, close and see point #6

Code:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors] "Hilight"="192 192 192" "MenuHilight"="192 192 192"
    Light Gray RGB=192 192 192
    Darker Gray RGB= 105 105 105

Here is the reg file in case you have problems doing it yourself, using light gray: GrayHighlights.zip

Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something *Biggrin

Cliff S, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons - Similar Threads - Using tab key

2. W key highlights text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W key highlights text: Simple one I can’t find an awnser to when ever I press the W key on my keyboard instead of typing W it left clicks it doesn’t happen with any other key besides w and the only way to make it work normally is if I hold down the FN key is there a way to revert it?...
  3. W key highlights text

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W key highlights text: Simple one I can’t find an awnser to when ever I press the W key on my keyboard instead of typing W it left clicks it doesn’t happen with any other key besides w and the only way to make it work normally is if I hold down the FN key is there a way to revert it?...
  4. W key highlights text

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Word is highlighting all text

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Word is highlighting all text: Word has just started highlighting all text in documents so that I cannot edit at all. Sometimes I can open up a new blank Word doc and click on the page and then switch back to the document I am working on and then I can make edits for a bit before it highlights all the text...
  6. Word is highlighting all text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word is highlighting all text: Word has just started highlighting all text in documents so that I cannot edit at all. Sometimes I can open up a new blank Word doc and click on the page and then switch back to the document I am working on and then I can make edits for a bit before it highlights all the text...
  7. Word is highlighting all text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Highlighting text: I want to highlight some text in an existing email so that I can copy it and reuse it. But the cursor has changed to a hand symbol - not the usual arrow - and it won't let me highlight. How can I restore it to the normal configuration?...
  9. Use Cortana in text fields?

in Cortana
    Use Cortana in text fields?: Hello to the group, I am used to speak text into input fields on my iPad and Android phone, e.g. on WhatsApp. This works very well by now ;-). In Word 365 on Windows 10, speech recognition is now also available. Question: How can I activate speech recognition (microphone...
  10. Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

in Windows 10 Customization
    Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields: For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various fora, etc. but not in Excel. Prior to installing Windows 10, the highlight in a text-entry field was either pale grey (on...