Windows 10: Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

Discus and support Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Right now i have my screen mirrored, when i do 2nd display only the start menu and everything gets bigger and when i go to the display settings none of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by xboxhaxorz, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

Right now i have my screen mirrored, when i do 2nd display only the start menu and everything gets bigger and when i go to the display settings none of the scaling options are available, my default is 250% and i set a custom scale to 250% so that the screen remains the same when i do 2nd display only

This affects a game i am playing xcom 2, there is an arrow in the options menu to return to the main menu and its pretty much not visible for me to click, the text on the right and left sides of the screen is also cut off because the screen is zoomed in the game

When i mirror the screen, this is not an issue

:)

xboxhaxorz, Jun 15, 2020

2. Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

Right now i have my screen mirrored, when i do 2nd display only the start menu and everything gets bigger and when i go to the display settings none of the scaling options are available, my default is 250% and i set a custom scale to 250% so that the screen remains the same when i do 2nd display only

This affects a game i am playing xcom 2, there is an arrow in the options menu to return to the main menu and its pretty much not visible for me to click, the text on the right and left sides of the screen is also cut off because the screen is zoomed in the game

When i mirror the screen, this is not an issue

xboxhaxorz, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Scaling issue on 32'' TV Display

I've read enough on overscan issues to confidently say that isn't the issue I'm having. I've gone through my Intel Graphics settings and NVIDAI control panel but haven't found anything useful (but I may have missed something). What I'm trying to do is replace
    my two Lenovo monitors with a single TV display. The TV display would be an extended display. Everything fits on my screen; again this isn't overscan.

The best way I can explain the issue is as follows:

My normal laptop display is set to 150%. I connect a 32'' TV (HDMI) and set it as an extended display. The 2nd display is set to 100% but things are displayed with the same proportions as my laptop display (which is set to 150%). I'm using Visual Studio
    to judge the proportions. If I switch to mirroring the display and scale down to 100%, things are the proportion I want on the 2nd display (the TV) but they're not clear enough to read. I'd like everything on both displays to be approximately the same perceived
    size (a 1'' x 1'' box on one contains the same amount of stuff as a 1'' x 1'' box on the other) and be able to read whatever code I have up in Visual Studio.

I have the same results on 3 different 32'' TV's (a very old Sony, a 3-5 yr old Samsung, and an hour old Insignia). Everything looks great on my 55'' plasma. I'm returning the TV I got today because the age of the TV (more specifically, the tech inside the
    TV) doesn't seem to be a factor.

Is there something I can do to get one of these 32'' TV's working the way I want?

Is this a pixel density issue?

Would I see better results from 40'' TV?

BrianHoblin, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

Windows 10 Scaling changes when connected a 2nd screen (TV) through HDMI

I have installed Windows 10 Pro on my PC.

Now i want to connect a TV by HDMI via the Graphics Card (Sapphire HD6450)

When i have done this the screen of the TV shows the exact as the PC screen before.

But the screen of the PC changes to desktop and the scaling is miniature small.

At that moment i cannot change the settings of the 2nd screen anymore....because of the small scaling.

When i detach the HDMI connection the PC screen returns to normal scaling, but the 2nd screen option has dissapeared.

What could be the problem?

Carl van den Abeele NL, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

1. Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size? - Similar Threads - Using 2nd display

2. Enable unsupported display scaling scale presets on odd sized displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable unsupported display scaling scale presets on odd sized displays: Hi, my Zenbook Pro 14 Duo has an odd sized secondary display at 2880x864. It seems the logic in W11 for what scaling presets to allow is based on vertical resolution thats my best guess, since on this high DPI display it will only allow 100 or 125% setttings. So for the main...
  3. Enable unsupported display scaling scale presets on odd sized displays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable unsupported display scaling scale presets on odd sized displays: Hi, my Zenbook Pro 14 Duo has an odd sized secondary display at 2880x864. It seems the logic in W11 for what scaling presets to allow is based on vertical resolution thats my best guess, since on this high DPI display it will only allow 100 or 125% setttings. So for the main...
  4. How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only: As you can see in the picture below, my external monitor is larger than my laptop's display, but windows thinks the display is smaller. Because of this, when I transfer windows from the monitor to the laptop, the sizing is off until it fully realizes it is on the new screen....
  5. How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only: As you can see in the picture below, my external monitor is larger than my laptop's display, but windows thinks the display is smaller. Because of this, when I transfer windows from the monitor to the laptop, the sizing is off until it fully realizes it is on the new screen....
  6. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling: I have many machines running Windows 10. All of these machines are affected by the same issue. The monitors are 2560x1440, for some people this makes things too small. One solution is to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 but then things are fuzzy. The other option is to...
  7. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling: I have many machines running Windows 10. All of these machines are affected by the same issue. The monitors are 2560x1440, for some people this makes things too small. One solution is to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 but then things are fuzzy. The other option is to...
  8. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

9. Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Using TV as 2nd display for laptop ONLY, changes scaling/ size?: Right now i have my screen mirrored, when i do 2nd display only the start menu and everything gets bigger and when i go to the display settings none of the scaling options are available, my default is 250% and i set a custom scale to 250% so that the screen remains the same...
  10. Scaling issue on 32'' TV Display

Scaling issue on 32'' TV Display: I've read enough on overscan issues to confidently say that isn't the issue I'm having. I've gone through my Intel Graphics settings and NVIDAI control panel but haven't found anything useful but I may have missed something. What I'm trying to do is replace my two Lenovo...