Windows 10: Using/understanding junctions and links

Discus and support Using/understanding junctions and links in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by txmxer, Oct 20, 2018.

1. txmxer Win User

Using/understanding junctions and links

My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second.

This link:

Using/understanding junctions and links [​IMG]

Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD).

Using/understanding junctions and links [​IMG]

The properties for the files show the C: drive location as well.

So, if the path for the link does not show in properties and the file/folder size is clearly too larger to actually exist on the C: drive, how do I determine where the files are actually located?

Long Version/additional details

~2 years ago, I wanted to relocate my iPhone backup folder to a larger data drive.

At some point--between Windows updates and iTunes updates, the link/junction isn't working properly.

I know there are options I could follow for moving the USERS directory or creating links and such to allow me to relocate the backup and get things working again.

Before I do that, I thought I'd like to try to figure out what has happened so I can either avoid it in the future or do something different, plus locate/relocate the existing backups. Right now, I just need to know how to decipher this junction since the information doesn't seem to show up in Properties.

As a long time Windows and before that DOS user, I hate using iTunes, but it is what it is. Kind of stuck with it for now.

thanks, Mike

:)

txmxer, Oct 20, 2018
  2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Oct 20, 2018
  3. SYmbolic Links and Junctions

rd /s <name>

All versions of Win10 have mklink that can make both dir symbolic links and junctions. Create a dir junction for your use case using
    mklink /j.

Define "better". I'm sure there are apps that do the same thing, either independently by calling the Win32 API functions or by acting as mere frontends to mklink itself. IMO if you can use mklink properly why should you need anything else?

RobertJWin, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Using/understanding junctions and links

Junction Links, Windows 10

Hi Martin,

Junctions or Symbolic Link are basically advanced shortcuts wherein you create a Symbolic Link from the original location of the file/folder referencing to your desired location. For example, you have a program that requires its files to run in C:\Programs
    but you want this directory saved in D:\Programs. You can move the directory to your desired location then create a Symbolic Link in C:\Program pointing to D:\Program. The program will still try to access its files from C:\Program but will be redirected to
    D:\Program and everything will just work as if it were in C:\Program.

What you actually want, however, cannot be achieved by using Junctions. If you are looking for a way to change the default locations where your downloads, music, photos, videos go in to, please follow these steps:

• Open your File Explorer.

• The folders under Quick access on the left pane, namely Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos are situated in
      C:\Users\<username> by default. Right-click on one of the folders (we'll go for Download this time) and select
      Properties.

Using/understanding junctions and links 12f708e9-5c57-49e1-ab5b-b08c0f6a3a4c?upload=true.png

• Go to Location tab, enter your desired location or select
      Find Target
      , and click OK.

Using/understanding junctions and links 4b4c95c8-e12e-4664-9307-25c79f17c385?upload=true.png

• Repeat the process on the remaining folders if desired.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrianne Buc, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

Using/understanding junctions and links

1. Using/understanding junctions and links - Similar Threads - Using understanding junctions

2. I do not understand capturing link addresses.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I do not understand capturing link addresses.: In some documents, there will be info that is coding with blue color and underlined that tells one they can put the cursor on that place, right click and capture the link address. Yet in the same document there is other verbiage in blue and underlined that does not allow one...
  3. About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?: From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/9b86c805-508f-589c-2d94-74900c7937adAs the website said, it has the benefit of easier to backup data.Also, I want to avoid the overhead of C Partition that it may not have enough space to store the data of ProgramData folder in...
  4. Junctions/Hard Link over network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Junctions/Hard Link over network drive: Is there anyways I can trick applications into viewing a remote drive (or folder) as a local one? So I fully understand that making a junction or a hard link over a network drive to a local drive isn’t supported, and that I would need to use a symbolic link. However, I’m a...
  5. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?: I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive? submitted by /u/Itch_X [link] [comments]...
  6. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  7. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links: My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop...
  8. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...