Windows 10: Using USB storage to update Windows 10

Discus and support Using USB storage to update Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I do not have enough space on C drive to update windows 10. I have a USB storage device with ample free space which has worked in the past. This time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by charlesford2, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Using USB storage to update Windows 10

I do not have enough space on C drive to update windows 10. I have a USB storage device with ample free space which has worked in the past. This time I am unable to persuade windows to use it. What am I doing wrong? PS I am not a techy

:)

charlesford2, Sep 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Sep 11, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Using USB storage to update Windows 10

Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Using USB storage to update Windows 10 :)

95Viper, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

Using USB storage to update Windows 10

1. Using USB storage to update Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Using USB storage

2. Windows 10 problems with usb storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 problems with usb storage: So, my PC started to do some weird things latley, as when I power it on, runs fine, nothing's wrong, I can plug in a pendrive just fine and it's recognised, but then all goes downhill. When you remove the pendrive no difference if you just yank it from the usb or press the...
  3. Windows 10 problems with usb storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 problems with usb storage: So, my PC started to do some weird things latley, as when I power it on, runs fine, nothing's wrong, I can plug in a pendrive just fine and it's recognised, but then all goes downhill. When you remove the pendrive no difference if you just yank it from the usb or press the...
  4. Windows 10 problems with usb storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows update will not use external storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update will not use external storage: Windows update recognises that I have external storage attached but will not use it for updating to Feature Update 20H2 it simply continues to try to 'Free up Storage' even though the external storage device is shown in the dialog see Below. The external device is a USB3...
  6. Windows 10 sees my SSD storage as a USB, and can't update using Windows 10 Update Assistant...

Windows 10 sees my SSD storage as a USB, and can't update using Windows 10 Update Assistant...: Subject has pretty much all the details. I have an internal SSD installed for my primary storage. When I downloaded the Windows 10 Update Assistant and ran it, it gave me the message that "you can't install windows on a usb flash drive". At first I thought this was an error...
  7. windows 10 update does not recognize USB storage space

windows 10 update does not recognize USB storage space: I am doing windows 10 update on ideapad 1 I use a 30 GB USB stick to solve the low storage issue on C drive. The Update does not recognize there is an external storage space. So the update process is stuck there now. but the explorer recognizes there is 20 GB...
  8. Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

Windows 10 Update using an external storage device: My HP notebook does not have enough space to allow an update of Windows 10. There is a note on the Update assistant that I need to connect an external storage device, which I did. But the assistant seems to not recognize the device. What is it that I am doing wrong? Roland...
  9. Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low

Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low: Hi I'm looking to upgrade a small laptop computer to the latest version of Windows 10. It's a portable device with only limited flash drive storage. I don't have enough storage to complete the update. I've seen it posted various times that if there isn't enough space...
  10. update usb drivers using windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    update usb drivers using windows 10: How to Update usb drivers to connect thru a usb cable using usb ports on computer?? I can plug and connect by usb sometimes. But then @ times if cables moved it doesn't recognize device... Plz help Me Email: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** cell phone: 1...