Windows 10: Using virtualization as a measure of security

Discus and support Using virtualization as a measure of security in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; This morning I was setting up a couple of VMs and had this idea. I didn't implement it, just thought about. With so many virus, hackers, ransoms, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by YanKleber, Nov 26, 2020.

1. YanKleber Win User

Using virtualization as a measure of security

This morning I was setting up a couple of VMs and had this idea. I didn't implement it, just thought about.

With so many virus, hackers, ransoms, and other plagues out there maybe it could be done as a way to protect user and at the same time to guarantee a quick restore in case of problems. The idea is to keep a "bait barrier" that can be destroyed without causing any real damage.

My plan is:

1) Install a very light version of the OS in HD/SSD and add to it a VM app or enable Hyper-V.
    2) Copy this partition with a backup/restore app like Macrium Reflect and keep it in a safe place.
    3) Create a new guest with your real stuff (every day apps) and move it to a different drive (not CUsing virtualization as a measure of security :).

This way if for instances your main (physical) OS become hijacked by a ransomware or so you just shrugh because it is just a shell where you don't have nothing important. In this case you could quickly recover your environment in minutes doing it:

1) Format C drive.
    2) Restore the partition from backup with Macrium (or whatever).
    3) Point to the guest where you run your stuff.

I have used a similar setup for years and I find it very handy to quickly restore partition/system when my Windows crashes in a irreparable way or when it becomes crappy. So instead to pull my hair off or have all that boring task of installing everything from scrach I just restore it. It's an awesome solution also when you need to migrate your system to a larger disk or in case of your disk just die. In my case I still use my main OS as my work OS meaning that I don't run my everyday stuff in a VM but I am considering do this. However I have two VMs -- one with XP for very old apps and other with W7 where I keep my studio music stuff then I don't need to overload the main system with stuff I don't use all the time. By the way this is another great use for virtualization, that is, group applications in VMs to not bloat your system. *Wink

My question here is if such setup would cause a noticeable performance degradation... Personally I can't notice any difference between main OS (W10) and my VMs (7/XP). My system is a desktop i5 with 8GB with SSD. *Huh

What do you think?

:)

YanKleber, Nov 26, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Naveen_M Win User
    About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

Hi Arachnide,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 uses the TPM to protect the encryption keys for BitLocker Volumes, virtual smart cards, certificates, and the many other keys that TPM is used to generate. TPM is used to securely record and protect integrity-related measurements of select hardware.
    The TPM can also be used to generate and store cryptographic keys.

You can refer to this thread in Microsoft TechNet forums on
    Does Windows remember PIN of the Virtual Smart Card in memory? and check.

I'd suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums
    where we have a team of experts who are well equipped to answer your query. Queries regarding encryption and decryption are best addressed here.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Nov 26, 2020
  4. curatia Win User

Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Using virtualization as a measure of security - Similar Threads - Using virtualization measure

2. Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures: Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures Hi Microsoft Community, I am writing to update and seek further assistance on a pressing issue regarding my Microsoft account, which has now escalated despite having taken all recommended security...
  3. Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures: Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures Hi Microsoft Community, I am writing to update and seek further assistance on a pressing issue regarding my Microsoft account, which has now escalated despite having taken all recommended security...
  4. DVR Blocked in Intune - Reasons for security baseline measure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVR Blocked in Intune - Reasons for security baseline measure?: Hello,A question has been brought up by one of the employees after integration with Intune, "Why is Block DVR: Enabled is a default setting in the Microsoft Security Baseline?". I would like to know the reason why this was a decision taken by Microsoft. I need to understand...
  5. DVR Blocked in Intune - Reasons for security baseline measure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVR Blocked in Intune - Reasons for security baseline measure?: Hello,A question has been brought up by one of the employees after integration with Intune, "Why is Block DVR: Enabled is a default setting in the Microsoft Security Baseline?". I would like to know the reason why this was a decision taken by Microsoft. I need to understand...
  6. DVR Blocked in Intune - Reasons for security baseline measure?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. measure length

in Windows 10 Support
    measure length: Is it possible to measure or calculate the dimension of an object displayed in a jpeg file on the monitor of my PC? I use windows 10 with a monitor with resolution 1920x 1080 thanks in advance 144052
  8. measurement settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    measurement settings: how are measurements settings changed in Win10 - from metric to US /imperial? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/measurement-settings/aeae9538-21bb-447c-b9a3-6501b01e5004
  9. virtualization based security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virtualization based security: Should virtualization based security be enabled. I find under system information that mine is disabled. 132401
  10. virtualization based security

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    virtualization based security: Should virtualization based security be enabled. I find under system information that mine is disabled. 132401