Windows 10: using vmware 15 for running two virtual machines of 350 Gb on a laptop

Discus and support using vmware 15 for running two virtual machines of 350 Gb on a laptop in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I use vmware 15 workstation. and the virtual machines I have are 350 Gb, I have a laptop with 12 Gb of RAM and it becomes almsot unusabe for me to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by sandila, May 28, 2020.

1. sandila Win User

using vmware 15 for running two virtual machines of 350 Gb on a laptop

I use vmware 15 workstation. and the virtual machines I have are 350 Gb, I have a laptop with 12 Gb of RAM and it becomes almsot unusabe for me to use my laptop. The memory which I gave to virtual machines is 2 Gb and 4 Gb so 6 Gb from my laptop is dedicated for virtualization. I use Windows 10 6 Gb remaining should be enough for my laptop to work. That is my assumption. But it becomes almsot unusable for me to use my laptop in these situations.
    these virtual machines are running on hard disk which is present inside laptop not on an external USB, they run on a single rotating disk.the hard disk is 5400 rpm WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T1 to hard diskAmazon link

I can not purchase an Amazon AWS or Google cloud related thing. I don't have that much money what ever I need to do is it should be on my laptop only.So I wanted to know if there is a better solution for this kind of situation.

:)

sandila, May 28, 2020
  2. sandila Win User

I use vmware 15 workstation. and the virtual machines I have are 350 Gb, I have a laptop with 12 Gb of RAM and it becomes almsot unusabe for me to use my laptop. The memory which I gave to virtual machines is 2 Gb and 4 Gb so 6 Gb from my laptop is dedicated for virtualization. I use Windows 10 6 Gb remaining should be enough for my laptop to work. That is my assumption. But it becomes almsot unusable for me to use my laptop in these situations.
    these virtual machines are running on hard disk which is present inside laptop not on an external USB, they run on a single rotating disk.the hard disk is 5400 rpm WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T1 to hard diskAmazon link

I can not purchase an Amazon AWS or Google cloud related thing. I don't have that much money what ever I need to do is it should be on my laptop only.So I wanted to know if there is a better solution for this kind of situation.

sandila, May 29, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

I have a laptop with 8GB RAM that had a 5400rpm HDD. I ran Hyper-V VMs on it, but they were very slow. Then I replaced the HDD with an SSD, using Macrium Reflect Free to make an image of the HDD which I restored to the replacement SSD. The VMs now run as fast as if they were on real hardware. An SSD is the answer to your problems.

4. using vmware 15 for running two virtual machines of 350 Gb on a laptop

Virtual Machine - Troubleshoot Performance Issues

We have a tutorial for this.

As others have stated, you have too slow of a hard drive for running virtual machines.

Ram is only part of the process, your hard drive needs to be fast enough to run your host os and the virtual machine. This is why it is highly suggested to replace your hard disk with an ssd to run everything on one drive, or better yet, get a second hard drive/ssd dedicated to the virtual machines so that your windows drive is not being struggling for resources.

Andrew129260, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. using vmware 15 for running two virtual machines of 350 Gb on a laptop - Similar Threads - using vmware running

2. VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional: Hello,I hope you are having a good day. I am interested in purchasing a VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional. However, I am specifically looking for a version that is not an evaluation copy from the Microsoft developer site.Could you kindly provide detailed...
  3. VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional: Hello,I hope you are having a good day. I am interested in purchasing a VMware virtual machine running Windows 11 Professional. However, I am specifically looking for a version that is not an evaluation copy from the Microsoft developer site.Could you kindly provide detailed...
  4. KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines

KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines: Hello Folks,We faced an issue after installing patch KB5014738 on windows 2012 R2 servers. These are VMs on vmware vsphere. After installing the patch the remote services of machine went down and we could not RDP into the machine or access any share. The only fix was to login...
  5. How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?: Because I don't have windows activation key of my main physical system as it is digitally licenced. I'm using windows 10 home and 21H1 version on my main pc. And i'm testing windows 11 developer preview version on vmware on same system. But windows 11 is not activating even...
  6. Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware: I have my registered copy of Windows 10. I want to install it as a virtual machine on VMware. Will my registration activate on the virtual machine if it is already activated on the host machine? If so, since it was tied to this machine at install, how do I register the...
  7. VMWare is not letting me run Virtual Machines due to "VMWare and Device/Credential guard...

VMWare is not letting me run Virtual Machines due to "VMWare and Device/Credential guard...: Hello. Recently after an update from Microsoft, I went onto my computer to run a Virtual Machine on VMWare workstation Pro 15. But when I went to run it, it read this message.: "VMWare Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMWare Workstation can be...
  8. How to use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]VMware does not allow you to use more one monitor for any guest operating system. However, you can bypass this default setting and use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine. Irrespective of which OS you have installed in the virtual [...] This post How to...
  9. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  10. Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine: I have been trying to open a virtual machine but nothing happens. I did have Bitdefender installed but I've removed that (you can't add exclusions in the free version it seems), So I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The only security I have running at the moment...