Windows 10: Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine

Discus and support Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Googled this to death and cant find anyone asking the question . I have an existing Win 7 Ultimate computer, and I've built a new Ryzen box and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FatTonyBubatz, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine

Googled this to death and cant find anyone asking the question .

I have an existing Win 7 Ultimate computer, and I've built a new Ryzen box and installed Win 10 Pro on it .

I wanted to try and use the key from Win 7 , to see if that will activate.

The only concern I have is if it does activate, will that cause the Win 7 machine to automatically deactivate.

I need the old machine to stay up and running cleanly for a while. Deactivation probably wouldn't hose it completely, but I'd rather not deal with that .

:)

FatTonyBubatz, Dec 11, 2019

2. Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...

I paid retail for 3 copies - "Family Pack" - Win 7 Home Premium many years ago. They all 3 use the same install key. I am now finally getting around to investigating Win 10. Previously I only used two of the 3 as Win 7 and never actually activated
    one of them. I just now have installed one of them for Win 10, which I installed via USB ISO on a new HDD. It activated perfectly. So with this install I'm trying out several very old graphics and CAD softwares for compatibility with 10. So far, so good.
    Now, with surprising success using this old expensive professinal software on 10, I'd like to install another 10 on a somewhat newer machine and new HDD, but not as an ugrade to an existing install of 7 that was activated years ago. I do want to use one of
    the three keys I paid for years ago. The drive/machine that the key was originally on is long gone and no longer used. Long story I know but what I am wondering is ... what to expect from MS when I try to activate a key that was first used so many years
    ago??? Any clues how I might go about doing this? Many thanks!

corralesartstudio, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    How to get product key of old OS (Win 7) after upgrading to Win 10?

OK guys, this will take time, encoding in process but after that I need to do some basic editing and add explaining titles before I can post the video:

Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine [​IMG]

The process as I did it:

• Install Windows 8.1 Pro on a new machine, activate with a valid product key which had never been used before. A totally virgin key. Activation OK
    • Reinstall 8.1 Pro on same machine wiping the HDD, use the same key to activate. Activation OK
    • Reinstall 8.1 Pro on a new machine, use the same key to activate. Activation OK
    • Upgrade the last install to Windows 10. Windows 10 activation OK
    • Reinstall 8.1 Pro on a new machine trying to use the same retail product key, resulting this:

Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine [​IMG]

4. Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine

Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine

1. Using Win 7 key in a new Win 10 install, impact on old machine - Similar Threads - Using key install

2. win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key: i am running win 7 and want to upgrade to win 10 and buy a new license key. But there wasnt a link for a win 10 .iso file, so i bought win 11 with a license key. But turns out my computer cant run Win 11. Can i use the key i just bought on a win 10 .iso if there is a place to...
  3. win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key: i am running win 7 and want to upgrade to win 10 and buy a new license key. But there wasnt a link for a win 10 .iso file, so i bought win 11 with a license key. But turns out my computer cant run Win 11. Can i use the key i just bought on a win 10 .iso if there is a place to...
  4. Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .

Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .: Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. Is there an ap I can download that will tell me which software will work on 11, and which will not? I'd rather know ahead of time....
  5. Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .: Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. Is there an ap I can download that will tell me which software will work on 11, and which will not? I'd rather know ahead of time....
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 7 to Win 10 key: I have a laptop with win7 key OEM, I updated to windows 10 without problem. Now the Hard Disk is failed, I replace it and now I cant install win 10 with the same key, What can I do?...
  7. Win 7 to Win 10 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 to Win 10 key: I have a laptop with win7 key OEM, I updated to windows 10 without problem. Now the Hard Disk is failed, I replace it and now I cant install win 10 with the same key, What can I do?...
  8. Win 7 to Win 10 key

9. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...
  10. Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...

Old Win 7 key - new Win 10 HDD install question ...: I paid retail for 3 copies - "Family Pack" - Win 7 Home Premium many years ago. They all 3 use the same install key. I am now finally getting around to investigating Win 10. Previously I only used two of the 3 as Win 7 and never actually activated one of them. I just now...