Windows 10: Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?

Discus and support Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have an old computer in which it was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. It was using a digital licence, but I retrieved the full serial key by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Miguel Karate, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?

Hi, I have an old computer in which it was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. It was using a digital licence, but I retrieved the full serial key by using "Nirsoft ProduKey".

I used the command "slmgr /dlv" to find if my licence was RETAIL, and it is, here is the pic showing it.

Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer? 79ea4268-0368-4f51-a357-60e4b5312307?upload=true.jpg

Also the partial product key matches with my full key extracted using Produkey from Nirsoft.

What I did was to execute the commands "slmgr /upk" and "slmgr /cpky" to delete the key from this computer so I can use it on my new machine.

Windows became unlicensed in the old machine and I proceed to uninstall it.

The problem comes when I try to activate the new computer while I'm installing Windows, the installer gladly accepts the extracted serial key and installs the corresponding Windows 10 edition, but when I'm using the OS it says that the key is not really valid and doesn't activate.

I must say that the licence it's not linked to any Microsoft account since I always used a local account in the old computer and Windows it's not installed there anymore.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Miguel Karate, Aug 2, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

I thought I made it idiot-proof by adding that sidenote in the brackets. I was wrong.

-> If you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1/7 within the first year of Windows 10's launch, you can have it for free till the Sun runs out of hydrogen. You get an upgrade key, and you can use that even if you need to reinstall things 3 years later.

-> If you're trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1/7 after 1 year following Windows 10 launch, you pay for the upgrade.

btarunr, Aug 2, 2020
  3. HammerON Win User

Try as you can, there will still be those that cannot comprehend what others do*Smile Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer? :)

I think this is great news *Toast :toast:

HammerON, Aug 2, 2020
  4. 64K
    64K Win User

Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?

Thema:

Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?

1. Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer? - Similar Threads - Using free upgrade

2. free upgrade from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade from windows 7?: I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to a more current supported version of windows; hopefully for free. Does anyone have any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade-from-windows-7/38366330-9fe7-4f3f-ba35-e0ed514290d3
  3. free upgrade from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade from windows 7?: I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to a more current supported version of windows; hopefully for free. Does anyone have any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade-from-windows-7/38366330-9fe7-4f3f-ba35-e0ed514290d3
  4. Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 Stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 Stuck: 1. First issue erorr code 0xC1900101-0x40021, after reversal to windows 7 screen freeze Working on Updates 85% Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-stuck/b41aa4f3-37b7-4145-b48d-f1efe138fe4a
  5. Is the upgrade from windows 7 to 10 free?

Is the upgrade from windows 7 to 10 free?: cost to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-the-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-free/10095da6-8608-40a5-8858-8be24889f16e
  6. Free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Dear colleagues. As a new registrant to this forum, may I say thank you for having me. I have a query, being an owner of an old Dell Laptop E6410 that has had Windows 7 installed from new, but, nevertheless, served me well and continues to do so. In view of the imminent...
  7. Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7

Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7: Hi, first, let me say I am not the smartest guy when it comes to computers. I am trying to use the free upgrade to Win. 10 on my Win. 7 pc that is here under the tutorial forum. Last night, I started the download for Win.10 installation media,and it went along without a...
  8. FREE WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE FROM 7 FOR DISABLED

FREE WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE FROM 7 FOR DISABLED: HELP, DISABLED. NO MONEY TOUPGRADE MY WINDOWS 7 TO 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-windows-10-upgrade-from-7-for-disabled/b89bb045-21d2-4ba6-a8ba-c864e628adce
  9. Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free: How to: Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free How to Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. When Windows 7 reaches end of support on January 14, 2020, your computer will still...
  10. Windows no licence from free upgrade to windows 10

Windows no licence from free upgrade to windows 10: hi I had free windows 10 upgrade about 3 years ago, no problems but after the latest updates i now need an activation code, to get this im asked to go and buy one, this doesnt make sence to me. cant reset windows, or basically do anything else. it doesnt send me to the...