Windows 10: Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot

Discus and support Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi; I would like assistance to learn more about the Windows Safe Mode method for fault isolation/troubleshooting. I seem to recall that Safe Mode is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by VinceB, Oct 15, 2018.

1. VinceB Win User

Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot

Hi;

I would like assistance to learn more about the Windows Safe Mode method for fault isolation/troubleshooting. I seem to recall that Safe Mode is useful for troubleshooting, but cannot recall details. I think the approach is to disable half of the existing apps, then reboot to Normal Mode to see if the problem continues.

If no, the problem does not continue to occur, then the cause of the problem may be within the remaining, other one-half, of the enabled apps; so, disable the remaining one-half of apps, and try again, and again, etc. Thusly, drilling down until the one app that is causing the problem is identified/remains.

If yes, the problem does continue to occur, then disable one-half of the presently enabled apps, and try again, and again, etc.

However, I do not know where such a listing of the apps can be viewed and then also be disabled.

Please clarify, correct my recall, or expand on the suggested method of troubleshooting by using Windows Safe Mode. Or, point me to an documented procedure for troubleshooting with Windows Safe Mode.

TNX.

P.S. My present problem is that several icons that are located on my desktop screen and are in the taskbar are continuously flashing, and eventually, Windows 10 crashes. I am hoping that Safe Mode is useful in isolating the cause of this issue.

:)

VinceB, Oct 15, 2018

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot

New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot

1. Using Windows 10 Safe Mode to Fault Isolate/Troubleshoot - Similar Threads - Using Safe Mode

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  4. Fault that gets solved with safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fault that gets solved with safe mode: Hi,I have a surface pro 7 that has a persistent problem where it will randomly freeze up during operation, and the only way to get around it is to hard reset the PC, making it essentially useless. The only time the problem seems to have subsided is when I put it into safe...
  5. Fault that gets solved with safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fault that gets solved with safe mode: Hi,I have a surface pro 7 that has a persistent problem where it will randomly freeze up during operation, and the only way to get around it is to hard reset the PC, making it essentially useless. The only time the problem seems to have subsided is when I put it into safe...
  6. Fault that gets solved with safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Is Isolated Win 10 Completely Safe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Isolated Win 10 Completely Safe?: I use a Dell Windows 10 PC that is fully licensed and completely legal. It, with all the programs in it, works very well for my needs, and I would like to just seal it up somehow so I am free of any upgrades or changes by Microsoft that would disturb its performance in any...
  8. Is Isolated Win 10 Completely Safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Isolated Win 10 Completely Safe?: I use a Dell Windows 10 PC that is fully licensed and completely legal. It, with all the programs in it, works very well for my needs, and I would like to just seal it up somehow so I am free of any upgrades or changes by Microsoft that would disturb its performance in any...
  9. Safe mode for diagnostic TroubleShooting!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Safe mode for diagnostic TroubleShooting!: In Win10, do you seriously have to turn the device on and off three times, to go into SafeMode??? Come on you must be kidding! Also, lacking a good manual, which is at the library that is closed, how do you get a complete list of 'Command Key' borrowed from Apple or 'Windows...
  10. Trouble using Safe Mode to fix Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble using Safe Mode to fix Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly stopped loading today. It will get to the login screen and either freeze there or immediately after I put in my password. I placed it into safe mode with networking and began going through the various repair options. I'm running into dead ends everywhere I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. isolate error not in safe mode

2. isolated issue by safe mode

3. some issues that are isolated by safe mode