Windows 10: Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary...

Discus and support Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This has been weird, but I finally identified the culprit. My PC keeps slowing down. I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, then Task Manager and look at Processes,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MelissaBrookstone, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary...

This has been weird, but I finally identified the culprit.

My PC keeps slowing down. I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, then Task Manager and look at Processes, and see that Antimalware Service Executable is using something like 1300 megs of RAM.

I finally figured out that it was Windows Defender, and one day I watched it as I ran an update on Windows Defender, and at the end of the update, the RAM usage dropped from the 1300 megs, down to about 212 megs and the PC speeded up again.

I AM running it concurrently with MalwareBytes, but tried shutting that off, and it didn't lower the 1300 meg usage. But updating Defender does it every time.

What's up with this?

:)

MelissaBrookstone, Mar 29, 2019
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Mar 29, 2019
  3. Windows defender's process running despite it being disabled.

Windows Defender is integrated within Windows 10. So you have it and it is running (as it should be) unless you installed a 3rd party "real-time" anti-malware solution. If you are using an alternative security solution, it should have registered itself with Windows Action Center which would then disable the real-time component of Windows Defender - unless you specifically told the 3rd party solution not to register itself.

For example, if you purchased Malwarebytes "Premium", it has a real-time scanner (the free version does not). When you install Malwarebytes Premium, it registers itself in Windows Action Center. But because Malwarebytes and Windows Defender play very well together without hogging resources or causing conflicts, it is often recommended to allow each to run at the same time. So to allow that, the user has to manually go into the Malwarebytes control panel Settings menu and select the option to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

I suspect other 3rd party solutions provide similar options so you might check that out if you did indeed, install a 3rd party security solution.

Both Windows Update and Windows Defender are supposed to step way back in to the background so they do not interfere with system performance when you are actively using your computer. But this is not always possible, especially if you regularly shut down your computer when you step away from it (instead of just letting it go to sleep), as too much time may have passed and your system is too far behind in Windows and security updates.

Without you noting which program was actually consuming the lion's share of that 80%, there's no way to tell what, at this point, was causing the problem. However, I would not put it past a browser. Chrome, for example, is very good (or bad, I should say) at eating up a lot of RAM and failing to let it go when exited.

Bill_Bright, Mar 29, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary...

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    Let your Windows 8 Defender update itself automatically.

P4-630, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary...

1. Using Windows 8.1. Discovered that Windows Defender is hogging RAM unless I run unnecessary... - Similar Threads - Using Discovered Defender

2. Desktop Window Manager is HOGGING RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Window Manager is HOGGING RAM: So i have an HP pavilion 15 cu-0011tx with 12 gigs of ram and a HDD, one day the HDD died, so i decided to replace it with an SSD, so i installed a FRESH COPY of windows 10 from the OFFICIAL microsoft media creation tool and everything worked okay, i put in a legit purchased...
  3. Windows Defender using too much RAM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender using too much RAM: Hello everyone, looking at my Task Manager, I've noticed throughout the day that the "Antimalware Service executable" has been eating more and more RAM - it's up to around 2GB now, which is definitely not normal. The task is using 0% of the CPU resource, as well as 0% HDD....
  4. unnecessary use use of ram and cpu by windows app,how can i prevent this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unnecessary use use of ram and cpu by windows app,how can i prevent this?: unnecessary use use of ram and cpu by windows app,how can i prevent this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unnecessary-use-use-of-ram-and-cpu-by-windows/fbcd1026-2615-43c5-ac5e-0390712550f4
  5. Windows Defender Discovered Threat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Discovered Threat: Windows defender discovered threat named PUA:WIN32/Solvusoft marked low. Should I remove this file? The affected file is a setup file for pictures on onedrive....
  6. Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?: Is windows defender a sufficient malware defense solution? How would a Microsoft representative answer that question? ie what am I missing? Considering it's resource consumption, it should be more than sufficient. Im guessing it takes an average of 25% of system...
  7. How do I reduce unnecessary ram usage in windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reduce unnecessary ram usage in windows?: Hi, so basically my computer either runs idle at around 55-65 percent of ram usage, or around 75% at other times. With no programs running it’s one or the other. I notice it’s usually the 75% whenever I run a resource heavy program and leave it idle for a long time, like an...
  8. Apps won't run unless I use " Run as admin "

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps won't run unless I use " Run as admin ": Hello everybody -- first of all I am sorry if my English is not very well... but I have problem with running apps. I can't run Taskmanager, msconfig, regedit using run while clicking on them, but if I use " run as admin " they will run without any problem. Also I have this...
  9. windows Defender for Windows 8

windows Defender for Windows 8: windows defender has been disabled on my WINDOWS 8 laptop. I DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. how can i re-install Windows Defender on my WINDOWS 8 laptop? [Moderator Edit: Moved from: Windows \ Windows 8 \ Security & Privacy \ Security and Privacy]...
  10. Win10, Super RAM hog! 11GB.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10, Super RAM hog! 11GB.: I've got two systems running things like premiere pro. The desktop memory usage under window 8.1 is normal, but the laptop when running say adobe encoder is crazy. I'm used to seeing Adobe taking 10 to 20 GB of ram, but my system is between 10 and 11GB! Now windows is telling...