Windows 10: Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More...

Discus and support Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I appreciate the human support provided to end users with problems with W10 and associated MS products (In this case, Windows Defender Threat... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pm1_, Feb 20, 2019.

1. pm1_ Win User

Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More...

I appreciate the human support provided to end users with problems with W10 and associated MS products (In this case, Windows Defender Threat Protection; WDTP)

I encountered two issues with WDTP within the last two months. The live support provided to me helped to get my issues resolved. However, on both occasions, the live support personnel informed me (at the end of his service) *that he would provide a follow up email to me regarding further information and support on my current issue.

I have yet to receive any additional information or communication from anyone from in Live Support that assisted me with my issue.

My goal is to utilize MS Windows Defender's 'tools' configured so that the following (3) objectives are achieved.

To fully utilize the WDAV&TP security program, I need my W10x64 stand alone PC to:

1) Automatically check for, download, and install any new definitions at/or after my first log-in.

2) Automatically download and Install Every new definition(s) as it is made available during the PC's 'Active Hours'.

3) Automatically run a 'Quick Scan' immediately after any/all new definition are made available, downloaded, *and installed.

Without the (3) steps above being successfully completed, my PC is defenseless to any/all newly created threats.

I appreciate Microsoft's work to keep my PC Secure.

Request: A manual that could be easily updated on how to use and implement the Threat Protection "tools" that are developed, would be most helpful to any end user interested in software Security.

thank you

:)

2. Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More... wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Feb 20, 2019
  3. JCH54 Win User
    virus and threat protection

Thank you Le Boule for your suggestions, my confusion over this problem is that, I run Windows 10 ver 1709 on my PC and laptop, which both running Windows Defender and SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender works with all the bells on the laptop but not on
    the PC. So how will removing SuperAntiSpyware do the trick? I realise that the environment on the two computers could vary enormously, and as I am not an expert and don't want to tinker, having learned from bad experiences in the past. Maybe I didn't make
    myself totally clear and I appologise, Windows Defender is turned on and the only component without a green tick, is the Virus and Threat protection component, the service is turned on and on automatic. I have stopped and restarted the service, but the component
    will not restart, all I get is an error message. If Microsoft wants to bring all these applications under one umbrella, then surely they should provide a fixit tool (tools) for when a vital application such as Defender runs into problems.

I will try your suggestion of removing the third party virus protection, and hope that is successful. Thank you again.

JCH54, Feb 20, 2019
  4. JCH54 Win User

Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More...

virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection has stopped and will not restart, Windows 10 ver 1709, antimalware client ver 4.12.16299.15 . SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I have tried most of the suggestions from the support pages, all have been ineffective. Any suggestions

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender / Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions / Windows 10

JCH54, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Using Windows Defender Anti Virus, Threat Protection, etc. is a 'Security' issue... More... - Similar Threads - Using Defender Anti

2. Windows Security Virus and Threat Protection Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Virus and Threat Protection Issue: so no matter how much i try to scan my drive and use different types of scanning methods it only scans 100 files on my drive then finishes despite malwarebytes scanning over 800k what is going on with my laptop. i am trying to see if i have any sort of issue because earlier...
  3. Windows Security Virus and Threat Protection Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Virus and Threat Protection Issue: so no matter how much i try to scan my drive and use different types of scanning methods it only scans 100 files on my drive then finishes despite malwarebytes scanning over 800k what is going on with my laptop. i am trying to see if i have any sort of issue because earlier...
  4. anti virus threat & protection

in Windows 10 Customization
    anti virus threat & protection: there is no antri virus threat & protection option in my lapotop windows 10.i want enable real time protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-threat-protection/f518050a-e81f-412d-af1c-0352e2504ef5
  5. Security, Protection, Anti-virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security, Protection, Anti-virus: I just got a new computer. It comes with Windows Defender Antivirus. What else should I get? Where should I purchase it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-protection-anti-virus/1d92f470-64d9-4fd6-a26b-0c6be1f434e5
  6. WINDOWS DEFENDER/ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION

WINDOWS DEFENDER/ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION: Do i need private virus protection if have Windows defender and real time protection on? When i attempt to turn Windows defender on it says "TO ALLOW THIS APP TO RUN CONTACT YOUR SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR TO ENABLE THE PROGRAM VIA GROUP POLICY"....What does that mean? Does...
  7. Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection): Hey! First, I apologize for any orthographic or grammatical mistake, as my first language is spanish. For context, I had downloaded an antivirus recommended by CNET (I think), called Avira, but after a few weeks of use, I started to feel like my computer was slowing down, as...
  8. security - virus & threat protection

security - virus & threat protection: My computer is showing virus & threat protection is managed by my organization. We are a small office and each computer should only have Windows Defender running. We also had Malwarebytes. I deleted Malwarebytes but now I cannot run Defender. I don't see any other...
  9. Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem

Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem: Hi Microsoft service, I need your help to fix my computer that I had struggle to find why Virus & Threat Protection is not working. I was updated Windows 10 Update. There are some changes to add new feature. Need your help to fix my computer. Regards, Spring...
  10. Security, Anti-Virus protection

Security, Anti-Virus protection: I have Viper Security installed on my Laptop, I have recently had a problem with receiving phony scams from a third party (inferring they are from Microsoft). I reported that to Microsoft Security. I now would like to switch from Viper to Defender (which is on my laptop)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender antivirus