Windows 10: Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

Discus and support Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast. I'd like to write and build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast.

I'd like to write and build C-language programs in Linux, much the same as I did with Cygwin for many years.But I don't see the Windows header files and libraries needed for making calls to Windows core functions.

This can be done in Visual Studio. But I don't have Visual Studio. I can't afford Visual Studio. I don't have time to learn Visual Studio.

I just want use make, cc, and ld to compile and link some simple C-language programs.
    Programs that just happen to make calls to Windows libraries, such as GetFileAttributes( ).
    Is there a way?

:)

margrave55, Sep 28, 2019
  2. xfire Win User

College to teach Linux over windows

I say you should start with Ubuntu or Xubuntu(lighter version of Ubuntu) and then if you need a smaller version of Linux, I suggest Puppy Linux.

xfire, Sep 28, 2019
  3. dazed554 Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

There would be no problem installing 64bit linux along side 32bit windows(I have done this several times).

No, you do not need one of those special runs on windows versions. Any distro will do, personally I like Fedora and Ubuntu.

I would suggest that before you install linux use vista's disk manager to shrink your vista partition and then during the linux install select the option to use the free space(I have always done it this way rather than messing with the vista partition in the linux install).

dazed554, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

1. Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows - Similar Threads - Using libraries Ubuntu

2. Installing Windows 11 on top of Ubuntu/ Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 on top of Ubuntu/ Linux: I have a Dell Precision 5820 running Ubuntu, and I would like to install a Dual-boot windows. I partitioned the drive 500 gb allocated as free space in Linux, and then used a usb-boot drive with windows. However, windows doesn't recognize the partition. I've tried many...
  3. Installing Windows 11 on top of Ubuntu/ Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 on top of Ubuntu/ Linux: I have a Dell Precision 5820 running Ubuntu, and I would like to install a Dual-boot windows. I partitioned the drive 500 gb allocated as free space in Linux, and then used a usb-boot drive with windows. However, windows doesn't recognize the partition. I've tried many...
  4. Reinstalling windows from linux ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling windows from linux ubuntu: had windows 11 preinstalled in my Dell laptop,I wanted to try linux ubuntu,i deleted windows totally without me noticing it, Can i reinstall to windows 11 and i do have product key,if yes how do we install it ?...
  5. Reinstalling windows from linux ubuntu

Reinstalling windows from linux ubuntu: had windows 11 preinstalled in my Dell laptop,I wanted to try linux ubuntu,i deleted windows totally without me noticing it, Can i reinstall to windows 11 and i do have product key,if yes how do we install it ?...
  6. UBUNTU LINUX DOWNLOAD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UBUNTU LINUX DOWNLOAD: plz help me download ubuntu and linux latest version... i need to learn c language programming in it... so what all should i download? i have windows 11 version now... plz help me download without deleting any windows data...
  7. UBUNTU LINUX DOWNLOAD

UBUNTU LINUX DOWNLOAD: plz help me download ubuntu and linux latest version... i need to learn c language programming in it... so what all should i download? i have windows 11 version now... plz help me download without deleting any windows data...
  8. how to replace linux ubuntu with windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to replace linux ubuntu with windows 10 ?: i have a new laptop dell with OS linux ubuntu, i have a windows 10 disc that came with it and i was wondering how can i install it? all i see online is about dual booting....
  9. Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows: I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast. But there are a few shortcomings. I hope this is the right forum for these questions ... 1. It cannot see remote shares. I mount a laptop share as Z: so I...
  10. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10: I am installing a bash Linux distros (WSL) to a Lab of 100 pcs with windows 10. I have already installed the first 2 components:-Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) in the Windows Features and activated the Developer modeAt that point i should type “Bash” at the command...