Windows 10: Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

Discus and support Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast. I'd like to write and build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast.

I'd like to write and build C-language programs in Linux, much the same as I did with Cygwin for many years.But I don't see the Windows header files and libraries needed for making calls to Windows core functions.

This can be done in Visual Studio. But I don't have Visual Studio. I can't afford Visual Studio. I don't have time to learn Visual Studio.

I just want use make, cc, and ld to compile and link some simple C-language programs.
    Programs that just happen to make calls to Windows libraries, such as GetFileAttributes( ).
    Is there a way?

:)

margrave55, Sep 28, 2019
  2. xfire Win User

College to teach Linux over windows

I say you should start with Ubuntu or Xubuntu(lighter version of Ubuntu) and then if you need a smaller version of Linux, I suggest Puppy Linux.

xfire, Sep 28, 2019
  3. dazed554 Win User
    College to teach Linux over windows

There would be no problem installing 64bit linux along side 32bit windows(I have done this several times).

No, you do not need one of those special runs on windows versions. Any distro will do, personally I like Fedora and Ubuntu.

I would suggest that before you install linux use vista's disk manager to shrink your vista partition and then during the linux install select the option to use the free space(I have always done it this way rather than messing with the vista partition in the linux install).

dazed554, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

1. Using Windows libraries from Ubuntu / Linux on Windows - Similar Threads - Using libraries Ubuntu

2. Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Questions about shares in Ubuntu / Linux on Windows: I recently brought up Linux on Windows. I chose the Ubuntu distribution. It works well. Really well. Really fast. But there are a few shortcomings. I hope this is the right forum for these questions ... 1. It cannot see remote shares. I mount a laptop share as Z: so I...
  3. Switching from Windows to Linux

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching from Windows to Linux: Hello I am Nikhil Bansal and I am a college student. I am using original windows 10 but as per my college course curriculum I have to work on Linux. I can switch to linux but then I will lost my original windows. Right? So what should I do as I am a student and also wants...
  4. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10: I am installing a bash Linux distros (WSL) to a Lab of 100 pcs with windows 10. I have already installed the first 2 components:-Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) in the Windows Features and activated the Developer modeAt that point i should type “Bash” at the command...
  5. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (ubuntu) to windows 10: I am installing a bash Linux distros (WSL) to a Lab of 100 pcs with windows 10. I have already installed the first 2 components:-Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) in the Windows Features and activated the Developer modeAt that point i should type “Bash” at the command...
  6. Installing windows from ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows from ubuntu: So i recently downloaded ubuntu on my computer, and now i want to go back to windows However I don't want to buy it since i previously bought it, is there i way to get it for free since i previously got it?...
  7. Windows recovery using Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows recovery using Ubuntu: I had windows 10....deleted everything but the RE-partition. I'm now using ubuntu in an attempt at recovery of win 10 but no-luck. I keep getting response of missing boot config when attempting to boot the RE-partition....I'm a newb and like messing with stuff...not even sure...
  8. Read Ubuntu Linux ex3/4 Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Read Ubuntu Linux ex3/4 Files in Windows: Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences with apps that allow accessing Ubuntu ext3/4 file systems through Windows? 114915
  9. Ubuntu Linux Installation Issues

Ubuntu Linux Installation Issues: Hi Everyone, Last night I had the wild urge to try out the linux distribution of Ubuntu, I really thought everything was going well. Within Ubuntu, there's a hard drive partitioning application built-in, that part of the installation seemed to go well. I proceeded to move...
  10. Friend needs help porting C++ library from Linux to Windows

Friend needs help porting C++ library from Linux to Windows: A friend of mine is looking for someone who would be able to devote their time into porting libdrc, a Linux library designed for interacting with a Wii U Gamepad (Project: memahaxx / libdrc Bitbucket , Docs: http://libdrc.org/docs/index.html), to work with Windows with him in...