Windows 10: Using Word 2010 - have lost app association to .docx

Discus and support Using Word 2010 - have lost app association to .docx in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have owned my brand new win10 desktop for a couple of weeks and have installed my copy of MS Word 2010 on it and am using it very much as I have a... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by JonDBee, Sep 16, 2020.

1. JonDBee Win User

Using Word 2010 - have lost app association to .docx

I have owned my brand new win10 desktop for a couple of weeks and have installed my copy of MS Word 2010 on it and am using it very much as I have a big community project I have been putting in big hours on. Now suddenly I have just lost the application association that I had for .docx files. When I try and open a Word file, instead of opening Word 2010, as had been happening, the computer suddenly kept trying to start me off on Office 365 and open an account, which I do not want. Why has this just started?
    So I uninstalled Office 365 and then went to try and make an app association using default apps in the MS terminology, but I was not offered the choice of mentioning anything useful like MS Word, so I chose Microsoft Office (A very bad choice I now suspect)!
    When I looked at default applications by file type (see below), I do see Office 2010 mentioned for .docx and when I click on it I see a message saying no installed application! Clearly that is not so as the middle column has already mentioned Word 2010! There seems to be no way to get things back to where they were.

Using Word 2010 - have lost app association to .docx [​IMG]

But now if I double click on a Word file (file type .docx) I see the following. I also notice that now all my .docx files have the red Office icon replacing the blue Word one in all File Explorer views. :-(

So do I need to open the app store? I dont think so as it will not give me access to Word 2010 I feel sure.

See the screen below for the display I get showing the default apps on offer. Where are the document types used by Office? I now find (see RHS of snip below) I may be able to correct it by altering the Registry, to change what some code not under my control in my PC has altered without my permission. I may be able to do this but I know its risky and I consider that I shouldnt have to in this day and age. BTW, The right hand part of the screen snip shows a forum post that I might try could an expert please advise me?

Funnily enough, I can pick up a .docx file and drag it into a blank Word 2010 document previously opened from the list of icons in the taskbar, where I have the one for Word 2010 placed. The result is a graphics box inside the otherwise empty file, (see below, with the box selected)

and if I double click on that, the file opens. So some sort of associations are there, somewhere.
    I can also use the "Open" menu item in Word 2010 to nagigate to a .docx file and open it OK.

I really would appreciate getting this mess sorted out. All help appreciated!
    Kind regards,
    Jon
    PS Windows10 version is Version 1909 (OS build 18363.2082)

:)

JonDBee, Sep 16, 2020
  2. yusufat Win User

Word 2010 documents (docx) are not editable in Word Mobile 6.1, but Word 2007 docxs are.

Hi. I am using Microsoft Office 2010 (x64) while my device has Windows Mobile 6.1. When I open a 2010 docx file, Word mobile loads it but an error say "This document is protected. You will not be able to edit this document". I cannot edit, only copy (clipboard)
    operation available. No such error if I open a 2007 docx file.

Those 2010 docx files do not have read-only flag in file explorer, nor password protected. Which settings in my Word 2010 that are wrong? I cannot save the document as 2007 docx in Word 2010, it always saved as 2010 docx. I don't want to save it as 2003
    doc file, because at later time I cannot add smart art or other sophisticated features of Word 2010.

My workaround now is to create blank document in Word 2007 (on another PC) and save it as "Editable in PDA.dotx" then I use it to "instantiate" new document whenever I need the file can be edited on device. But I also don't like Word 2010 shows the text "[Compatibility
    Mode]" on its title bar.

I don't know which one of them is faulty - Word 2010 or Word Mobile 6.1.

yusufat, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Lost DocX option in Word 2010

Having problems with Documents folder and One Drive, (on other threads).

This morning went to write and then save a file in Word 2010, only to find 'no files matching etc.' in the folder/file that I required. Went to see if I was looking at the wrong Doc. type and the expanded file type list was completely different from the day before! There are no option with .extn available, only Word Document at the top then others. I clicked 'Word Document' and this immediately populated my folders, so I had to save my recent letter with a Word Document type.

Luckily, this was fairly simple to do, but when did this happen, and why have Microsoft messed with file extensions causing confusion, for, what I can see, is no reason.

Found one work around from a few years ago which was very long winded and too difficult for me, saying if was caused by a virus, but I have several security programs running, and nothing to say I have been, or am infected, so very puzzling.

Any ideas please.

ladylouisaC, Sep 16, 2020
  4. yusufat Win User

Word 2010 documents (docx) are not editable in Word Mobile 6.1, but Word 2007 docxs are.

HTC TyTN II

Official WM 6.1 from HTC

At the beginning of using Word 2010 these sort of things never happen.

--

Update: now some of 2007 docx files are also not editable on my device. Wonder if hard resetting solves the problem...

yusufat, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Using Word 2010 - have lost app association to .docx - Similar Threads - Using Word 2010

2. Outlook 2010 app association for email is incomplete

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010 app association for email is incomplete: Hi all, I have some files I want to attach to a new email I am writing. I select the files and tell File manager to send to email. Then I get told that I don't have an email program associated. According to Settings I do. The screen snips below show the story. [img] then...
  3. Word 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2010: Word 2010 only prints in black. How do I get it to work as before with colors too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2010/8a9d6c5a-e526-4942-9159-3ec6d6d0e45f
  4. 2010 word

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2010 word: I am writing a personal accounts story of my life for family when I pass. I have placed it on thumb drives for each individual…all in all works fairly well. The problem I have, I am using word 2010, when I hit the review tab and choose final…so all formatting is hidden, I...
  5. Lost .docx document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost .docx document: My son is using office.com under teams to do school assignments as set up by the school. Tonight he was working on an ELA assignment. He thought he was saving it to submit. I remember a message asking him to sign back into Microsoft. The document is nowhere to be found. I...
  6. Lost DocX option in Word 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Lost DocX option in Word 2010: Having problems with Documents folder and One Drive, (on other threads). This morning went to write and then save a file in Word 2010, only to find 'no files matching etc.' in the folder/file that I required. Went to see if I was looking at the wrong Doc. type and the...
  7. Lost DocX option in Word 2010

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost DocX option in Word 2010: Having problems with Documents folder and One Drive, (on other threads). This morning went to write and then save a file in Word 2010, only to find 'no files matching etc.' in the folder/file that I required. Went to see if I was looking at the wrong Doc. type and the...
  8. Deleted apps for word 2010, excel 2010, powerpoint 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted apps for word 2010, excel 2010, powerpoint 2010: My PC had to be reset today. After I noticed my Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010 & Powerpoint 2010 were gone. I do have my original receipt but not the original packaging. How can I reinstall these apps....
  9. Word Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word Starter 2010: I could not repair my Word Starter in Control Panel so I deleted it believing I could reinstall. Apparently not. What can I do /install so I can open and edit documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-starter-2010/dad4273b-c382-4951-aa28-b122d15d374d
  10. Microsoft word 2010

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft word 2010: I ran a fix me stick in my computer! Loosed my internet Explorer and my Microsoft word 2010 and my HP printer I got back my Explorer by redown loading now how do I get back my Microsoft word? If I reinstall it will I loose all of my things on it? Also How do I do it? Rich.K...