Windows 10: Using work email address for both personal and work account

Discus and support Using work email address for both personal and work account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a mixed Window 10 account/Office365 account question I had initially created a "personal" Microsoft account with my work email, purely for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rachel Koh, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Using work email address for both personal and work account

This is a mixed Window 10 account/Office365 account question

I had initially created a "personal" Microsoft account with my work email, purely for use with work-related things. I also use this to sign in to my Windows 10 profile on my laptop and save all my preferences etc. in case I need to change laptops over the years.

Today, my company upgraded its IT infrastructure and we have subscribed to Office365, so my work email is now associated with my organisation as a work account.

When I tried to login to my usual Microsoft apps, I kept getting a prompt to choose between my work and personal account, and because this was quite annoying, I searched online and found that I cannot merge my work and personal account, but to get rid of those prompts I could change my alias. So I changed my alias to a personal email address and removed my work email from this account, thinking that I could just sign in to everything using my work email anyway and this personal account can be closed.

Unfortunately I am now facing the issue of not being able to create a Windows 10 profile/login account with my work email because it is a work account - apparently you can only do this with personal accounts? Whenever I try to log in to some Microsoft services with my work email, it tells me that such account does not exist.

I also cannot re-link my work email back to my personal Microsoft account, because it is now associated with my organisation. Now my Windows 10 profile that I use for work is linked to my personal email, and I don't have and cannot create a "personal" account linked to my work email. I want to very clearly separate my work and personal life so I don't want this work profile to be linked to my personal email but I cannot undo this, and I don't want to create a whole new email address for this purpose - I want it to link directly to my work email just like it used to.

I would really like to either i undo the change, so my work email is still linked with the "personal" account and both the personal and work account co-exist together, or ii be able to create a windows 10 profile with my work email.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

:)

Rachel Koh, Apr 1, 2020
  2. jmsnyc Win User

Remove work email from onedrive messed up work email

I created a personal Onedrive account and used my work email address years ago. I had it synced to onedrive on my work laptop. As our work computers are going to be locked down , I changed the onedrive account email address to a personal gmail address. I no longer wish or need to sync the onedrive with my work pc, as it will no longer be possible in the near future due to corporate security

On my work pc I use Outlook . In Windows 10 Mail on my work pc, I noticed my personal gmail was listed as an email account. I removed it. Now my work email will not work because the data file is gone.

So even though I changed onedrive email , it made matters worse because now it seems like my personal gmail and my work email are somehow tied together

jmsnyc, Apr 1, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Unauthorized Emails from my account?

It is more than likely that your email account was hacked, either by a virus sniffing your password, or just simply hacked.

Either way, change your password on your email account. Unfortunately the damage by already be done. They already have your contact list and your email address associated with that contact list. There is nothing stopping them from sending out emails using their own SMTP servers to everyone on your contact list and claiming the emails are from your email address. They don't actually have to have access to your yahoo account or even any yahoo server to send emails to people that come from your address.

newtekie1, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Using work email address for both personal and work account

Personal email address used with more than one account

Thankyou Andre

I've looked at the article in the link you provided.

Very insightful

As for the part where you can connect your work address to a personal Microsoft Account (or as Microsoft words it - adding your work or school email to your Outlook.com account)

It states the following underneath:

• You cannot add an alias that is already associated with another Microsoft account.
    • You can't add an email address that's already associated with a work or school account as an alias.

This is good as I would always want my private personal data and my business data kept separate.

Cosmic Ray, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Using work email address for both personal and work account

1. Using work email address for both personal and work account - Similar Threads - Using email address

2. Deleting a personal account that is using the same email address as the Global Admin for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting a personal account that is using the same email address as the Global Admin for...: A couple of days ago, I purchased MS 365 for our business using my business email address - which is using our own domain name @[company name].com.The problem is that months ago I had created a personal account for testing the new MS-Teams using the exact same email...
  3. Deleting a personal account that is using the same email address as the Global Admin for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting a personal account that is using the same email address as the Global Admin for...: A couple of days ago, I purchased MS 365 for our business using my business email address - which is using our own domain name @[company name].com.The problem is that months ago I had created a personal account for testing the new MS-Teams using the exact same email...
  4. Deleting a personal account that is using the same email address as the Global Admin for...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal...: I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal accounts in Office 365. The user is unable to authenticate to our SharePoint infrastructure. We tried resetting his password through normal channels but it doesn't work. How can we advise...
  6. I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal...

I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal...: I have an external user with the same email address for both work / school and personal accounts in Office 365. The user is unable to authenticate to our SharePoint infrastructure. We tried resetting his password through normal channels but it doesn't work. How can we advise...
  7. Email accounts / identities / work and personal / Merging or replacing?

Email accounts / identities / work and personal / Merging or replacing?: So, I have looked up and down the internet. Basically, at some point, and I am almost positive that others have to be in this very same predicament. Basically, the issue is that user x has 3 accounts in total. One that is personal that was created many years ago; one that was...
  8. "Personal email address can't be used for work or school account."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Personal email address can't be used for work or school account.": I've never had a work or school account. Why does this appear occasionally and how do I fix it? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personal-email-address-cant-be-used-for-work-or/12f71c01-a665-4ef9-8c9f-dc16721ff196
  9. Profiles work & personal sharing the same email address for login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Profiles work & personal sharing the same email address for login: Is there a way of deactivating the personal profile or at least change the user name login details for this profile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/profiles-work-personal-sharing-the-same-email/48f5b1be-ed70-4fb5-a22d-18e64237ab6f
  10. Personal email address used with more than one account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personal email address used with more than one account: For the last few weeks I've been trying to solve why when I sign in to Microsoft online services with my personal email address I am met with the following message: It looks like this email address is being used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you...