Windows 10: USMT: Migration from two to one partition

Discus and support USMT: Migration from two to one partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, during the migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10 we want to move from 2 partitions to 1 partitions. On the external partition (E Drive) we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dhash, May 23, 2016.

1. dhash Win User

USMT: Migration from two to one partition

Hello,

during the migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10 we want to move from 2 partitions to 1 partitions.
    On the external partition (E Drive) we have set the folder redirection for the user libraries. The E Drive is also used to store user data.

Now we have folders with the username (Folder Redirection user libraries) and manually created folder and files on the E Drive from the users.

In the MigDocs.xml I have set following setting for moving the folders from E:\&username%\ to C:\ which works:

<locationModify script="MigXmlHelper.RelativeMove('E:\%username%\','C:\users\%username%\')">
    <objectSet>
    <pattern type="File">E:\%username%\*[*]</pattern>
    </objectSet>
    </locationModify>

Has anyone an idea for create a location modify for all data on the E Drive except E:\%username%\. I want to copy this files to a new Folder on C:\.

I would be very thankful if someone has an attempt or any ideas.

Best Regards

:)

dhash, May 23, 2016

2. copying user profile or cloning a user account windows 10

Hi

You should use MS USMT (Microsoft User State Migration Tool) which is the only MS supported way.

However USMT is a command line tool that you have to extract from the Deployment toolkit.

Also the included xml files are poorly updated.

We have, for years, been using a GUI from EhlerTech that is setting up and running USMT.

(They just released their Windows 10.1803 updated version two weeks ago)

/Gina

GinaMelford, May 23, 2016
  3. MaxAllen Win User
    Hibernate no longer works

The provided link had greeted me with an error message "Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10".

There is an advice on the page to use "PCmover Express" tool, but it's a commercial software that costs money and only a full version (which costs even more) is capable of transferring applications.

But I've found something else that states to solve exactly my problem: "User State Migration Tool (USMT) Overview" at User State Migration Tool (USMT) Overview (Windows 10) .

I'll try to follow "Getting Started with the User State Migration Tool (USMT)" How-To at Getting Started with the User State Migration Tool (USMT) (Windows 10)

and my scenario looks like "Scenario Four: PC-refresh using Windows.old folder and a hard-link migration store" described at Common Migration Scenarios (Windows 10)

I'll post back after trying.

MaxAllen, May 23, 2016
Thema:

USMT: Migration from two to one partition

1. USMT: Migration from two to one partition - Similar Threads - USMT Migration partition

2. one partition, need two?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one partition, need two?: I have a 1TB drive on which I have also the system files, aka windows 10. What are the needed steps to create a distinct partition solely for system files and have another one for anything else?...
  3. one partition, need two?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one partition, need two?: I have a 1TB drive on which I have also the system files, aka windows 10. What are the needed steps to create a distinct partition solely for system files and have another one for anything else?...
  4. one partition, need two?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition: After a few instances of the blue screen of death with "critical process died" I decided to do a clean install Windows 10. Made a recovery USB and a clone of my SSD first. Did a clean install of Windows from within window, but the process froze at 26% and later jumped to 100%...
  6. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition: After a few instances of the blue screen of death with "critical process died" I decided to do a clean install Windows 10. Made a recovery USB and a clone of my SSD first. Did a clean install of Windows from within window, but the process froze at 26% and later jumped to 100%...
  7. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to migrate two accounts into one

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to migrate two accounts into one: I have two Outlook.com accounts, they differ before the @ sign. The first one is an old one, created a long time ago when still reading hotmail. Now it is also reading outlook.com As it serves no purpose to keep 2 accounts and may possibly lead to confusion I am...
  9. How to merge two partitions into one?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to merge two partitions into one?: I have recently upgraded to the Windows 10 anniversary version. I would like to extend my C: drive by merging the F: drive into it. Attached is the photo of my hard drive. How do I go about merging F: drive into c: drive? I would like to use Windows 10 disk management...
  10. USMT 10 - issues with profile when migrating from Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USMT 10 - issues with profile when migrating from Win7 to Win10: Hello, Has anyone used USMT 10 to migrate from Win7 to Win10? I have used USMT successfully in the past to move WinXP (32-bit) to Win7 Pro (64-bit). I downloaded the new ADK to get the v10 tools. I now have USMT 10 and was practicing the migration of Win7 Pro 64-bit...