Windows 10: UTC datestamp on my drives...

Discus and support UTC datestamp on my drives... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Its been always an issue since Windows 8 that Windows gets confused with what is that and where does that one goes.. Here is my question: If File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dosequzla, Jan 19, 2020.

1. dosequzla Win User

UTC datestamp on my drives...

Its been always an issue since Windows 8 that Windows gets confused with what is that and where does that one goes.. Here is my question: If File History built in is creating this file date stamp and it does create an issue for the ongoing use of the data on my drives simply because I choose to use another backup software and I am using external drives all the time to help with the system drives overload. Why isn't there a way to disable File History if you have Macrium Reflect for instance.

Backing up Windows is always been a difficult subject even for the IT professionals moreover for the home user that is not less concerned for the loss of data therefore trying to do better jobs at backing up important data.

Reinstalling Windows is less challenging than restoring data or in this case locating data because once the UTC timestamp is done there is no PLACESTAMP sort of where it was move to.

Thankfully I do use Macrium Reflect but even so I have to open the backup to locate all the missing files on my drive that by the way all UTC timestamped files are of ZERO bytes. :

So, how can this conflict fight between File History and any dedicated good backup software can be eliminated?

Here is something I've found from another concerned Microsoft Windows user. Someone responded to his question like this:

A brief explanation of File History might help.

This tool creates a number of copies of your data files. To distinguish between versions, it appends a date stamp to each file name. This is what you call a "UTC backup".

While the external backup medium is connected, File History will copy your data files to this medium. When the medium is disconnected, File History will copy your files to a buffer area on the internal disk. This buffer area is cleared automatically when you reconnect your external medium.

If your buffer area is no longer cleared then File History is probably confused, perhaps because you changed or manipulated your external backup medium. To deconfuse it I would do this:

1. Create an image of your system drive, using a tool such as Macrium Reflect.
    2. Do some spot checks to ensure that you could retrieve individual files from the image.
    3. Wipe the file history folder on your external and internal disks.
    4. Start afresh with File History.

Again, why use File History if you want to handle all your data backups with a third party software package?

:)

dosequzla, Jan 19, 2020
  2. tcebob Win User

Cortana UTC Time Is Incorrect

If you right click on the time at the right end of the taskbar you will have an opportunity to adjust the date and time. However, I checked that and something is screwy about the zone settings list. I live in Florida, USA -- Eastern Time Zone but the settings say (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada). It seems something is amiss in the program. I'm going to post a query about that. Meanwhile, if your time display looks OK I suggest you leave it alone. Windows 10 is full of holes and I believe that MS will fix them eventually. I also believe in world peace and the Tooth Fairy.

tcebob, Jan 19, 2020
  3. little cat, Jan 19, 2020
  4. UTC datestamp on my drives...

UTC Incorrect

Does anyone know how to fix the UTC time on Windows 10? I have it set to show two times as I work globally with other developers so we operate under UTC and then I have it show local time. The local time is correct but UTC is one hour off. I suspect it
    is the DST that is throwing it off. I work with other operating systems and it seems Windows is the only one that UTC is Off. So if anyone knows how to fix this it would be great.

KendallHolm, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

UTC datestamp on my drives...

1. UTC datestamp on my drives... - Similar Threads - UTC datestamp drives

2. Timezone only showing UTC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Timezone only showing UTC: Needing some assistance, I have checked every setting at this point and the local time of my computer is showing the correct EST time zone, however after traveling from the west coast back to the east coast I am unable to get my time zone back to EST. After checking my time...
  3. Timezone only showing UTC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Timezone only showing UTC: Needing some assistance, I have checked every setting at this point and the local time of my computer is showing the correct EST time zone, however after traveling from the west coast back to the east coast I am unable to get my time zone back to EST. After checking my time...
  4. What is UTC offset / time zone for London UTC +00:00 or UTC +01:00 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is UTC offset / time zone for London UTC +00:00 or UTC +01:00 ?: My Windows 10 is configured to show that London is located in UTC +00:00 time zone where Google says that London is actually in UTC +01:00 time zone,Today is 27.08.2019 17:17 local time. According to Windows, current offset is 0 therefore it is 27.08.2019 17:17 UTC...
  5. What is UTC time zone for London UTC +00:00 or UTC +01:00 ?

What is UTC time zone for London UTC +00:00 or UTC +01:00 ?: My Windows 10 is configured to show that London is located in UTC +00:00 time zone where Google says that London is actually in UTC +01:00 time zone,Today is 27.08.2019 17:17 local time. According to Windows, current offset is 0 therefore it is 27.08.2019 17:17 UTC...
  6. My windows Timezone resets to UTC+8.

My windows Timezone resets to UTC+8.: My windows Timezone resets to UTC+8. Even if I update the time manually it again resets to the default timezone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-timezone-resets-to-utc8/7d74c20a-2a61-400e-8c9d-f4fd4a8515e1
  7. UTC files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UTC files: I din't always have my back up external hard drive plugged into my laptop. So what seems to be happening is File History UTC files are being saved to my C drive documents folder. As a result any given file can have three or so UTC duplicate backups all with different dates....
  8. REBOOT.ME file 1997 datestamp on new Win10 laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    REBOOT.ME file 1997 datestamp on new Win10 laptop?: One of a few questions re: a new HP x360 Spectre convertible laptop that I purchased Dec 8 from BestBuy, I've already reset the machine once and thus far have only tried to set up. Has OEM Win10 home and McAfee trial software preinstalled. I know there are old files...
  9. UTC Time: Displaying UTC Time On Bottom (Task ?) Bar ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UTC Time: Displaying UTC Time On Bottom (Task ?) Bar ?: Hello, I give up after spending close to an hour with the built in W10 time setting screens. I want UTC to display on the bottom (task bar ?). It just won't display; I can set it on the W10 screens for time and date, but it doesn't carry over to the bottom bar on the...
  10. Cortana UTC Time Is Incorrect

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana UTC Time Is Incorrect: My system time is correct (Central Time Zone + Daylight Savings Time). Cortana is displaying UTC -4 - it should be UTC -5. How do I correct? 19057