Windows 10: Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC.

Discus and support Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10, desktop PC. Windows did another update and once again I'm locked out of our shared unit. We have 5 desktop PC's in our network. One doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kthr33, Jan 1, 2019.

1. kthr33 Win User

Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC.

Windows 10, desktop PC. Windows did another update and once again I'm locked out of our shared unit. We have 5 desktop PC's in our network. One doesn't have a face in front of it. Instead, we use it for storage of things we want to share among us. At our first W10 update, none of us could access the shared unit. It took a couple hours but I finally found the 'share with all' had changed. I reselected it and all was working again. At the next update, the same thing happened. This time the repair only took a couple minutes. There is always something needing repaired after every W10 update, until the MSTastrophe of April 2018 update. That one I couldn't fix. It was all little things, (except the ever frustrating Not Responding) and I found workarounds for most everything. A couple weeks ago I replaced my system. While the Compudoc was here I asked him about the access issue. Before he left, he corrected the issue. He went back and forth between the two machines several times, and went through screen after screen, checking and unchecking boxes. After ten minutes or so he finally had the access to the shared unit issue solved. He explained that the process isn't difficult, it's just bulky. My new unit was up and running for less then a week when, guess what, That's right, a W10 update and I no longer have access to our shared unit. Are there instructions somewhere, that a non-tech can follow, to make this repair? All suggestions, ideas, comments any wish to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

**Original Title**

Well... It happened again.

:)

kthr33, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 1, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC.

SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC.

1. Uunable to access files on the shared unit after a recent update on Windows 10 PC. - Similar Threads - Uunable access files

2. Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update: After a recent Windows update, I have been experiencing difficulties accessing shared files on my local network. Prior to the update, everything was working smoothly. However, since the update, attempts to connect to shared folders result in an error message, and I'm unable...
  3. After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer: My wife has been printing remotely for years from her laptop to the shared printer on my desktop. This has suddenly stopped working on both of our laptops which can no longer connect to the shared printer. Googling this problem, I see that a lot of people have been...
  4. After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer: My wife has been printing remotely for years from her laptop to the shared printer on my desktop. This has suddenly stopped working on both of our laptops which can no longer connect to the shared printer. Googling this problem, I see that a lot of people have been...
  5. After a recent update I can no longer access a shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. files vanished after recent windows 10 update

files vanished after recent windows 10 update: hello to all! I was recently prompted by windows to proceed an update to windows 10. after I did that, all my files and some apps disappeared. I noticed that I have several "desktops" when I had to restart entirely chrome. what should I do to get back to a normal use of my...
  7. Accessing files in Network Sharing PC

Accessing files in Network Sharing PC: After Windows 10 May 2019 update, my access to files on my other network-connected computers has been limited. I can access the files using Quick Access and change to the desired folders but if I open Internet Explorer and try to open a file, the other computer is identified...
  8. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  9. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  10. Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update: My laptop ran a monster update for windows 10 a few days ago and since then I have not been able to connect to my Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless network. I connected to it just fine before and could connect on another laptop the other day that had not yet run the update....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft support unable to share files between windows 10 pro and windows 10 home