Windows 10: vanishing hard drive

Discus and support vanishing hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Gday, I placed this in the network area but I can't see it being a network issue in the normal sense of networks. I have a most weird problem that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TRB, Jun 20, 2020.

1. TRB
    TRB Win User

vanishing hard drive

Gday,

I placed this in the network area but I can't see it being a network issue in the normal sense of networks.

I have a most weird problem that recently occurred. Never had this issue before. Relevant PCs are Win10.

I have 5 hard drives on computer A each with multiple partitions. I have a home networked laptop Ill call computer B.

When I am using B and send a 3 gig file via the network to A it begins OK and gets about halfway through and then fails. So I am sending from A to B.

The transfer fails because the destination hard drive on A vanishes when actually viewed from A. The only way I can get it back is to reboot A.

Next I tried the reverse direction and when working from A I accessed B via the network and began retrieving a file from B. So I am now pulling a file across from B to A. Once again part way through my coping process it fails and again I have lost the same hard drive on A and must reboot to get it back.

I immediately thought hard drive fault. It is a WD black/caviar 2TB and 1 year old. I ran the WD diagnostics without issue. Ditto Win10 diags.

The next obvious thing to do was copy locally on A. So I chose a bunch of PST files (about 20 gigs total) on another hard drive on A and copied them to the failing hard drive on A. That worked perfectly.

I figure I do not have a hard drive issue. The issue is only when transferring files over my network. Smaller files work OK. Once above about 1 gig the transfers fail.

Sure, network issues are common. Anyone can have network headaches. What I cannot fathom though is how a home network file transfer can disable a hard drive on the destination PC.

It is not relevant but the destination hard drive contains 4 partitions G: H: I: J: and I am writing to H: All 4 vanish as if that hard drive was unplugged.

:)

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 20, 2020
  3. little cat, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Mathragh Win User

vanishing hard drive

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

vanishing hard drive

1. vanishing hard drive - Similar Threads - vanishing hard drive

2. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    E Drive Vanished: E Drive has completely vanished due to a forced windows update. Lost a very good chunk of my files. Device does not show up in disk management which is the most concerning aspect. Urgently please direct me to a solution if there is one....
  3. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    E Drive Vanished: E Drive has completely vanished due to a forced windows update. Lost a very good chunk of my files. Device does not show up in disk management which is the most concerning aspect. Urgently please direct me to a solution if there is one....
  4. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...

My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...: I tried to restore the files from a previous version also but after I restarted the pc I checked the hard drive made sure it was plugged in then when the pc got booted up I consistently see that message and cannot get onto my desktop anymore please someone help!...
  6. My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...: I tried to restore the files from a previous version also but after I restarted the pc I checked the hard drive made sure it was plugged in then when the pc got booted up I consistently see that message and cannot get onto my desktop anymore please someone help!...
  7. Photos Vanish from One Drive

Photos Vanish from One Drive: I was organizing my photo albums, and suddenly one of them was empty. I noticed the same with a different photo album the other day. There weren't that many pictures in it, and I thought maybe I had been mistaken,But there's no mistaking the loss of photos from this...
  8. Photos Vanish from One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos Vanish from One Drive: I was organizing my photo albums, and suddenly one of them was empty. I noticed the same with a different photo album the other day. There weren't that many pictures in it, and I thought maybe I had been mistaken,But there's no mistaking the loss of photos from this...
  9. Secondary hard drives keep vanishing from file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary hard drives keep vanishing from file explorer: Hi all. I'm having a big problem with my secondary hard drives disappearing from file explorer. They can be seen in disk management and by the bios. Initilizing them from disk management fails to do anything. I am able to use the partition recovery feature on AOMEI...
  10. D Drive vanished from computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D Drive vanished from computer: My computer said I had no Memory after attempting to install something. I went to see how much memory I had and had discovered that my D Drive where I store most of my apps and data Had disappeared from the disk list. I am really confused as to what happened, and how to fix...