Windows 10: Vanishing pointer after updates

Discus and support Vanishing pointer after updates in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This problem started maybe a month and a half ago with an update. After I reset my computer, the mouse pointer essentially vanished. It would flicker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/shakespeare-gurl, May 8, 2020.

1. Vanishing pointer after updates

This problem started maybe a month and a half ago with an update. After I reset my computer, the mouse pointer essentially vanished. It would flicker occasionally, and I could still use the mouse (touchpad and usb mouse) to click on things, but barring an occasional flicker the pointer was invisible. I went through several of the steps suggested to bring it back, but the only thing that worked was uninstalling the update. I don't even remember which one at this point. I turned off automatic updates, but yesterday when I reset my PC (system prompted me to do so) something updated and the pointer vanished again. I was unable to uninstall any of the Windows updates, and after trying to roll back the system I ended up having to do a complete factory reset. I created a restore point immediately after the reset and everything worked fine. In installing my Adobe programs, Norton Security got installed and prompted me to restart the computer. And the pointer vanished again. Rolling back to the restore point did not fix the problem, and yet again I'm doing a factory reset.

My question is: how do I prevent this from happening, or fix it when it does happen? I can't use my computer without a pointer, and having to reset from zero, even with my backups, takes hours and isn't a reasonable fix. The computer this is happening to is an HP Z book 15 3G. It's only a couple of months old. I'm at my wits end so any suggestions would be helpful.

submitted by /u/shakespeare-gurl
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/shakespeare-gurl, May 8, 2020

2. Mouse Pointer

Hi,

You can customize your mouse in a variety of ways in Windows. To change how your mouse pointer looks, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel.
    • Select Mouse, then go to the Pointers tab.
    • Select the pointer you prefer from the drop-down list, click
      Apply > OK.

If you want to use a pointer that is not on the list, you can download it online. After that, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers tab again, then click
    Browse.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Angela Pun, May 8, 2020
  3. Pointers

Points are simply a value (address) that "points" to a value. It has no extra information about what it is pointing to (hence the danger). When using arrays/indexers, the operating system knows this is a collection that is this long and is of this type. Any operation that steps outside of those constraints is caught and handled. On the other hand, if a pointer so much as points to the wrong address, all the values will subsequently be wrong.

Pointers are faster but more risky.

FordGT90Concept, May 8, 2020
  4. Vanishing pointer after updates

pointer size

Hi,

Open PC settings.

Step 2: Choose Ease of Access to enter its settings.

Step 3:Click Mouse, and choose new pointer size and color in the options.

Way 2: Change Mouse Pointer size and color in Mouse Properties.

Step 1: Click the lower-right Start button, type mouse in the search box and select Mouse in the results to open Mouse Properties.

Step 2: Tap Pointers, click down arrow, choose a scheme from the list and select OK.

Hope it works

Thank you

vanshitavanshita, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Vanishing pointer after updates

1. Vanishing pointer after updates - Similar Threads - Vanishing pointer updates

2. Update 22H2 vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update 22H2 vanished: Hi,I'm running windows 11 on my laptop.Windows update showed 22H2 as ready to install. I tried to download and install it but got an error - I didn't note the number but it looks similar to several that I've seen online.Not the message about the update being ready has...
  3. Update 22H2 vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update 22H2 vanished: Hi,I'm running windows 11 on my laptop.Windows update showed 22H2 as ready to install. I tried to download and install it but got an error - I didn't note the number but it looks similar to several that I've seen online.Not the message about the update being ready has...
  4. Profile vanished after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Profile vanished after update: My desktop installed an update recently and as it's a work computer I hadn't started the machine since. Today, I boot it up and my entire profile is missing. I can log in with the same code, but all my apps, settings, wallpaper everything is gone from the machine. I've not...
  5. User profile vanished after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile vanished after recent update: Hello, today I updated to Win10 build 19041.630 and suddenly, my user account won't show up on the log-in screen. Some quick facts: -I have a seperate admin account I can still use -My user folder and files still exist -My former account's SID is still listed in the...
  6. Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update: Hello Everyone, As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied. Once I restarted my pc, I noticed the boot time was considerably slower than usual as my main boot drive is from an SSD. In...
  7. My cursor vanished after an update.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My cursor vanished after an update.: My cursor vanished after an update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-vanished-after-an-update/0ea80fc4-cfba-448d-beb7-2e6bc341821a
  8. Pointer freeze after update (?)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pointer freeze after update (?): Since downloading Windows newest version 1903, I now am stuck with a frequently occurring pointer freeze. Despite uninstalling/reinstalling numerous pertinent drivers, the problem continues. Is Microsoft working on a fix? We need one ASAP. This is as frustrating as the...
  9. updates vanished

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates vanished: Well this is a super weird one. I started to experiment with sleep mode by manually putting PC in sleep mode. I only did this if I was leaving the PC for more than 30 minutes and only started this yesterday around 3pm. All was well until I went to bed last night (it was...
  10. Update History Vanished.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update History Vanished.: I have just downloaded the latest updates and re-started my computer but Update History in Settings informs me that "No Updates have been installed yet". So where has my long list of updates gone, any ideas please? I am still on version 1607. . 90887