Windows 10: Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

Discus and support Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What ? About a week ago I had 55 GB free. Now I only have 27. Why ? My downloads folder is clean. So is my trash folder. If I right-click everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

What ? About a week ago I had 55 GB free. Now I only have 27. Why ? My downloads folder is clean. So is my trash folder.
    If I right-click everything (including hidden files) in the C: drive, it says 62 GB. If I right-click the whole drive, it says 84 GB used. It doesn't make sense ! Take a look:
    Screenshot by Lightshot
    (left is everything inside, right is the drive itself)

Any ideas on where could that space go, and how to get it back ? (not that I necessary need it atm, but I might need it in the future, and in any case, IT'S MY SPACE and I care for it !)

PS: It's an Intel SSD I'm talking about.
    PS2: Sorry for the attitude. I'm working on it. *Biggrin

:)

Marron, Mar 21, 2015
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

Run this command in an elevated command prompt and look for the Allocated number on C:\

vssadmin list shadowstorage

This will show you how much space is allocated for the shadows (restore points). Also check the Maximum. Some program (e.g. Avast) can set that to 50%.

3. Dude Win User
    Try running cleanmgr.exe, paste that in run. Right click windows button, select run

Edit, try the above post first

4. adamf Win User

Download TreeSize Free and run as administrator - it should help explain what is being used and where.

In addition to restore points mentioned by whs you will also have your pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys files which will not show up in your total of files.

adamf, Mar 21, 2015
  5. Marron Win User
    This doesn't seem to be the problem:
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  6. Marron Win User
    If I sum everything in the Disk Cleanup, it won't add up to more than 10 MB.

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    Did you try more options, then system restore

Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ [​IMG]

8. Marron Win User

There is no "More Options" ...
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    Try clicking where it shows clean up system files. It should run a minute, then show the ss I posted

10. Marron Win User
    What the ...
    Screenshot by Lightshot
    Is there any particular reason that those files are so large ? I didn't seem to need them just after I installed windows though.
    Can I get rid of them ? Or should I not ?
    Any purpose for them ? For one, at least a.t.m., I don't see any.

(yeah... many questions)

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  11. Marron Win User
    Not sure if I should do it though ...
    Screenshot by Lightshot

There are no programs I want to delete, and I dunno if I should delete restore points. It doesn't even tell me how much space it'll free.
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    Restore points is System Volume Information in your Treesize screen print so you would save 1.3 GB. I wouldn't delete them as having a restore point is always useful. Make the maximum space 3% or something.

Hiberfil.sys is for hibernation. I never use hibernation and always turn it off with powercfg -h off from elevated command prompt. That would save you 6.3GB

Your pagefile is 16.7GB which is rather large. You could reduce the size of it to 400MB, reboot, set it to system managed, reboot again and see if it picks a smaller number. If you are running short of space you can reduce it to anything you feel like but don't make it less than 400MB or you will not get crash dumps.

EDIT: my (system managed) page file is 2.1 GB and I have 8GB RAM, same as you. This is why your having one 8x the size seems large.

Your picture attached:

Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ [​IMG]

adamf, Mar 22, 2015
  13. Marron Win User

I'll just leave it as is. 1.3 GB isn't that much.

I use hibernate, so I'll leave it be. It's worth the space. Good to know though.

Could you explain how to "reduce the size of it to 400MB" ? Then how to "set it to system managed" ?
    Thanks !

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  14. Dude Win User
  15. adamf Win User
    Quicker than me - couldn't find the link *Smile

The problem with pagefile when it is system managed it is made bigger by windows OK but sometimes it never seems to shrink it again. Therefore resetting it and then putting it back to system managed would be interesting. Like I said mine (system managed) is 2.1GB which is more reasonable than 16GB (generally speaking). I have the same amount of RAM.

adamf, Mar 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ - Similar Threads - Vanishing SSD Space

2. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  3. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  4. SSD space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  5. SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  6. SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. MY LOCAL DISK D (ssd) VANISH

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MY LOCAL DISK D (ssd) VANISH: hello I NEED HELP I WAS following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sji1BDZY8QE doing everything up to the letter and like at minute 6:11 I realized that my local disk D (SSD) had disappeared what I do ?? IT DOSENT APPEAR IN DISK MANAGEMENT THE DISK CAME WITH THE...
  8. Space for Windows on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Space for Windows on SSD: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home on a SSD in 37GB partition. Updates are taking space and I now have 11GB left. There is plenty of space on that drive, so I would like to know if it is possible to extend Windows partition without destroying the OS. The other, more...
  9. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10: I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also are (GPT are greyed out in diskmanager. So what can I do to get acess ? Finn ***Moved from Insiders forum***...
  10. Disk Space Vanishes by Uninstalling files improperly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space Vanishes by Uninstalling files improperly: Hey guys, Recently I've uninstalled nvidia drivers from file repository through cmd commands. I deleted almost 15gb space worth of previous nvidia drivers but those space doesn't add up on drive. I run windirstat and it says 76.2gb space is used but when i check through...