Windows 10: Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

Discus and support Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Totally agree Adam, I was putting together a post similar to your post # 12 with links, so I already had the link ready *Biggrin Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Dude Win User

Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

Totally agree Adam, I was putting together a post similar to your post # 12 with links, so I already had the link ready *Biggrin

2. Philgo Win User

Have you got a windows.old folder after an update?

Philgo, Mar 22, 2015
  3. adamf Win User
    If you want to save another BIG chunk of space, as you have a SSD run disk cleanup, click on cleanup system files and then take the System Compression option. Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The compression works extremely well - 85% for windows and 90% for program files. I saved 14GB making my windows 10 install (including 51 programs) just under 3GB if you exclude page file and user data etc. This is smaller than the ISO I installed it from - see here Microsoft promises less disk space Win10 - Windows 10 Forums

adamf, Mar 22, 2015
  4. Marron Win User

Of course not. I cleaned my SSD with disk cleanup before installing.

That is quite impressive, but since my old Win7 had 35 GB, I believe Win10 deserves the 20 it uses a.t.m.. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks.

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  5. adamf Win User
    You're welcome. My SSD is only 66GB so every little helps...

adamf, Mar 22, 2015
  6. Philgo Win User
    Sorry for trying to help *Sad

Philgo, Mar 22, 2015
  7. Marron Win User
    No need for the sad face though. Your good intention was noticed. *Wink

Marron, Mar 22, 2015
  8. Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

Yes, but ...

The install is what creates the windows.old folder.
    It should be on C:\ and it might be a hidden system file. Change the folder options to view hidden files/folders and also show system folder / files.

You can also try this method to run Disk Cleanup:
    Disk Cleanup : Extended - Windows 7 Help Forums

Win8 and Win10 are actually very small, base install is less than 10 GB, my systems only consume between 12 and 16 GB, but all of my user data is stored on another partition.

When you're doing system maintenance, most processes require elevated privileges to do the heavy lifting (Run as Administrator...)

Bill

Slartybart, Mar 25, 2015
  9. Marron Win User
    Owps. I said "disk cleanup". I meant to say "diskpart". And I did it with Shift + F10 before Win10 installation, so there's no way for a Windows.old to exist on an SSD that's basically like new.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    Yes, the pagefile will increase in size after a crash if system managed. See my post here to reset it http://www.eightforums.com/performan...ter-crash.html

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Vanishing SSD Space ... :\ - Similar Threads - Vanishing SSD Space

2. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  3. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  4. SSD space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  5. SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  6. SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  8. MY LOCAL DISK D (ssd) VANISH

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MY LOCAL DISK D (ssd) VANISH: hello I NEED HELP I WAS following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sji1BDZY8QE doing everything up to the letter and like at minute 6:11 I realized that my local disk D (SSD) had disappeared what I do ?? IT DOSENT APPEAR IN DISK MANAGEMENT THE DISK CAME WITH THE...
  9. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10: I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also are (GPT are greyed out in diskmanager. So what can I do to get acess ? Finn ***Moved from Insiders forum***...
  10. Disk Space Vanishes by Uninstalling files improperly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space Vanishes by Uninstalling files improperly: Hey guys, Recently I've uninstalled nvidia drivers from file repository through cmd commands. I deleted almost 15gb space worth of previous nvidia drivers but those space doesn't add up on drive. I run windirstat and it says 76.2gb space is used but when i check through...