Windows 10: Various apps can't run

Discus and support Various apps can't run in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Problem: Since a few days ago, various apps no longer run. I reinstalled some of them, like Notepad++ and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and those run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kshdjzb, Mar 19, 2019.

1. kshdjzb Win User

Various apps can't run

Problem:

Since a few days ago, various apps no longer run.

I reinstalled some of them, like Notepad++ and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and those run properly.
    However, the installers for some, like Google Chrome or Dropbox, also do not work (the window appears for a brief while and disappears after).

Among the apps that do not run is part of Microsoft Office 2010: most programs of it work, but:
    PowerPoint fails to run altogether, with the error code 0xc000007b (it formerly used to instead display a message about msvcr90.dll missing);
    Office Anytime Upgrade doesn't run, and displays a message about MSVCP90.dll missing;
    Upon trying to run Word, "Microsoft Office Single Image 2010" runs instead and short after fails with the error code 1907, after which Word starts normally.

Attempting to use "troubleshoot compatibility" and selecting the "Try recommended settings option" fails with the error:
    "There was a problem starting C:\WINDOWS\system32\pcwutl.dll. The specified module could not be found."

Aside from that, some applications (notably ones that utilize dlls) have suddenly had the "requires administrative permission" symbol (the blue-yellow shield) added onto their icons.

What I've tried:

- I used sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, both twice. Of note is that after the first sfc, Firefox stopped running, similarly to other apps with this issue, which was fixed by reinstalling it. The old version of Firefox was 32-bit, and the reinstalled one was 64-bit.

- I used regsvr32 on pcwutl.dll, which failed with the message:

The module pcwutl.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. Ensure that pcwutl.dll is a proper DLL or OCX file, and try again.",

as well as on mscvr90.dll, with the error message:
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
    R6034
    An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

- I reinstalled all version of the Visual C++ Redistributables and .NET Frameworks that I managed to get my hands on.

- I attempted to use a System Restore Point, but as it turns out, I have none.

- I tried to reset my PC, but I want to keep my personal files, and this option isn't available for me, as the Users directory is on the D: partition.

- I tried to reinstall Windows 10 via installation media, but it didn't work: the installer got stuck in a loop.

What might have caused the issue:

A bit before the issues described here started, I installed Malwarebytes and ran a full scan.

For some reason, after that scan, all .exes have refused to run.

I quickly searched for a solution online, and found this registry file: https://bit.ly/2FiJ42v

Upon merging it, the issue of .exes not opening at all was fixed, but could this have not been as good of a fix as I thought it to be?

:)

kshdjzb, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Various apps can't run :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Microsoft Jigsaw and Solitaire apps will not load and run

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As you are facing issues with Windows store download and Windows updates too, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Try clearing the Store Cache:

• Press the Windows key + R keys.
    • In the Run window, type
      WSReset.exe
      and click “Ok”.

Step 2: Also I would suggest you to run
    Windows Store Troubleshooter and check if it helps:

1. Type Troubleshooter in the
    search bar
    and click on it from the list.

2. Click on view all and select
    Windows Store Apps
    and click next.

3. Follow the onscreen instruction.

Step 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Updatetroubleshooter:

• PressWindows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • ClickWindows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Step 4:

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Various apps can't run

Core Apps not Running

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to run the App Troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue persists:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on ‘View All’ on the top left pane.
    • Click on “Windows Store Apps” from the list and follow the on-screen prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Various apps can't run

1. Various apps can't run - Similar Threads - Various apps can't

2. PC Shutting Off + Running various processes of the same app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Shutting Off + Running various processes of the same app: My PC has been shutting off recently and I am unsure why. It seems to do it when I am playing games such as genshin impact, valorant, payday 2. I will play for a little bit before my pc shuts off entirely, after it shuts off I have to do a full power down and wait a couple of...
  3. PC Shutting Off + Running various processes of the same app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Shutting Off + Running various processes of the same app: My PC has been shutting off recently and I am unsure why. It seems to do it when I am playing games such as genshin impact, valorant, payday 2. I will play for a little bit before my pc shuts off entirely, after it shuts off I have to do a full power down and wait a couple of...
  4. 'This app can't run on this device'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'This app can't run on this device'.: I have tried to install VirtualBox 5.2 on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I open the installer I get the error:'This app can't run because is causes security or performance issues on Windows.'How do I get around this?...
  5. 'This app can't run on this device'.

'This app can't run on this device'.: I have tried to install VirtualBox 5.2 on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I open the installer I get the error:'This app can't run because is causes security or performance issues on Windows.'How do I get around this?...
  6. various apps stuck "updating"

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    various apps stuck "updating": I keep trying to use mail and other apps but it pops up with "We’re updating Mail. It should be ready to use again shortly." Or similar. Clicking the button to go to the store page opens the store page, which immediately crashes. Is there something I can update or is this a...
  7. Can't access to various website

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access to various website: I am unable to access any websites on Mozilla or internet explorer. It always showing server not found & I have tried to fix the network connection by various methods but it didn't work. My window is windows 10 home hp. The problem started occurring from last 2 days when my...
  8. Can't run restored apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't run restored apps: Hi, I recently restored some apps that were accidently deleted from my computer. Problem is when I try to run the *exe it say 'This app can't run on your PC'. Could there be a way around this problem or are my apps loss forever? Try to disable smartscreen but the problem...
  9. My apps can't run.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My apps can't run.: The apps i have been using of recent the Bluestacks and Wampserver are nolonger working on my pc and there are telling the version am using is not for the pc am using yet of recent they have been working and there of 64bit and my pc is also of 64bits. What can i do?...
  10. This App can't run on your PC

This App can't run on your PC: Hello all, I did a search for my title and found quite a few of these but most were a couple years old or older. I just started recieving this issue right after the big update back at the end of 2017. At first it was very rare that I would get it. Now, after two complete...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. r6034 regsvr32.exe