Windows 10: Various BSODs during gaming, Computer fails to start and reach BIOS

Discus and support Various BSODs during gaming, Computer fails to start and reach BIOS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I made a post on here a few months ago regarding my occasional BSODs. Thread is viewable: BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by frebreez3, Mar 10, 2017.

1. frebreez3 Win User

Various BSODs during gaming, Computer fails to start and reach BIOS

Hi I made a post on here a few months ago regarding my occasional BSODs. Thread is viewable:
    BSOD daily while gaming & watching videos

I have copied and pasted the thread post as seen below:

Running:
    GPU - R9 380 4gb.
    CPU - i5 4460.
    RAM - 8gb balistix ram.
    PS - CS550 M corsair.
    Mobo - MSI b85 G41

I have been crashing very frequently while running Overwatch (exists out of the program) as well as occasional 1-2 a day *BSODS usually during game. This is more rare when idle on the desktop screen. I ran Win10 verifier in order to investigate what could be causing this, it seems like an AMD driver.

The reason I suspect it is AMD is because of the error message I received when trying to investigate what is causing all these issues (by running verifier to stress my drivers)

ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
    Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+105c )

However, not all the BSODS that occur while gaming point to the GPU. The BSODS have been ranging in type such as irql_not_less_or_equal, various memory issue ones, paging file size, as well as a 'attempted to write to read only position' (or something).

Various fixes and diagnosis I have tried:

• Install a fresh copy of windows
    • Make sure all other drivers are updated (including bios)
    • Changed various graphical settings ingame (ranging from lowest to highest, all crashing, as well as various different screen rates)
    • Ran the *more* stable Crimson 15.11.1 beta driver, still crashes .Tried 16.3 crashes, now running 16.7, still crashes.
    • Set a longer TdrDelay value (now currently at 8)
    • Ran memtest86 overnight to check ram. Passed 6 full tests, no errors.
    • Used DDU and reinstalled only the AMD video driver(Crimson 15.11.1) (went to Realtek website for most recent audio driver . Didn't restart, used CMD and typed:
      'expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys' (found in AMD folder)
      'expand.exe atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys' (found in AMD folder)
      **Moved these back into my System32->drivers folder, seemed to be a bit more stable at first, but then returned back to crashing. (This was a fix I found online that some reported would help).

I uploaded the general zipfile that is instructed to be posted. But I also uploaded a folder containing four separate debugging reports I had during the bsods (just started collecting them and saving the crash reports).

** It should be noted that this has been frequently referenced as poor driver software from AMD, but I really would like you guys to take a look at it and see if there's anything else I can do other than wait.
    I eventually just resigned myself to thinking it was either an AMD driver, or faulty VRAM. I wound up RMA'ing my GPU over winterbreak hoping that it would fix my errors... Well I was wrong!

To add on to onto the BSODS that I was having earlier, my computer now sometimes fails to properly turn on. Here is what happens:
    • Turn on computer
    • Mouse lighting fails to start
    • Screen remains black
    • Permanently idles here, unable to get to BIOS/ nor ever see windows logo even boot up

I sometimes have to start my computer 2-3 times before it successfully gets to the windows login screen.

I am starting to think it could be my mobo that is causing my computer issues. I have run the memtest86 8 times through since and came up clean, but I might try again based on what you think.
    Additional info:
    My most recent BSOD was actually an RSOD.
    My prior BSOD to that was a bugcheck 4e, (pfn_list_corrupt)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

:)

frebreez3, Mar 10, 2017

2. Getting BSOD constantly! -_- [Solved]

Hi Syed,

BSOD can be caused by bad drivers, failing RAM, overheating or updating your the BIOS can also be one of the reason. You may boot the computer in safe mode and see if you would still get the BSOD on your computer. If the issue still persists, we suggest you
    contact your manufacturer to resolve BSOD and BIOS issue.

Regards.

Jenicel Dri, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Reinstalled Windows 10 - Various BSODs

Hello,

My Computer Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz

8gb Ram

Graphics Card:

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit

Motheboard

Asus Maximus VII Impact

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and had various BSODs. I reinstalled and deleted all my data to start anewand still get the BSODs.

As far as I can tell, I've update my motherboard's BIOS and all Drivers.

Here is a list of the various BSOD i've received:

Kernel security check failure

Irql_not_less_or_equal

Critical process died

Memory_management

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

critical structure corruption

At this point i'm not sure what do since I can't roll back to 8.1

Any assistance offered would be appreciated. Please let me know if I left out anything or if anything else is needed.

Michael F.Perez, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

You abandoned your previous thread and did not follow through on philc43's instructions.

What is the current status of your RAM? Have you tested it as suggested? If not have you replaced it?

Ztruker, Mar 11, 2017
  5. frebreez3 Win User
    Yes I have tested it as suggested. I am wondering if the new issues with startup is more likely to be a mobo/ram issue. I dont want to buy more RAM if its the motherboard or vice versa. Yes I am likely to first buy RAM though before another mobo.

frebreez3, Mar 12, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    What RAM do you currently have? You indicated one of the modules gave you errors. Did you replace it? If not, have you run without it, using only 8GB? I mean normal use, not memtest86+. See if you get any more BSODs.

Ztruker, Mar 12, 2017
  7. frebreez3 Win User
    I had two sticks of 8 GB ballistix RAM. One of the sticks was found to be corrupt but not the other. I am currently working with therefore only 1 stick of 8 GB RAM but am still experiecing the issues I listed. Overall, the clean ramstick has not fixed the issue.

frebreez3, Mar 13, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Okay, thanks. Now I know where you are at hardware wise. I don't see any dump files or zip files having been uploaded, yet @philc43 posted data from one or more dumps. Did I miss the uploaded zip file or ?????

Ztruker, Mar 14, 2017
  9. frebreez3 Win User
    Here is the .exe zip file for the crashes I have been having. Note: I sometimes power off the machine after a BSOD because I am trying to jump back into an Overwatch game as quickly as possible, but there should be a good amount of successfully collected BSOD crash reports. Attachment 125395

frebreez3, Mar 15, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    According to the manual for your board, two memory modules should go in slots 2 and 4 (if numbered 1 2 3 4) so a single module should probably go in slot 2 though the manual doesn't specifically say that.

Attachment 125418

Can't do anything with the 3/16 dump. All it says is Symbol files not found. The 3/12 dump indicates memory_management. The 3/6 dump indicates a problem with your video card/driver:
    Code: ffffc081`4fdb2938 fffff807`901e6034*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x16034 ffffc081`4fdb2940 00000000`00000038 ffffc081`4fdb2948 ffffc081`4cb94078 ffffc081`4fdb2950 7fffffff`0000003c ffffc081`4fdb2958 0000003c`0000000f ffffc081`4fdb2960 ffffc081`00000038 ffffc081`4fdb2968 ffffc081`00000178 ffffc081`4fdb2970 0000005c`0000021d ffffc081`4fdb2978 fffff800`0000003c ffffc081`4fdb2980 00000000`00000000 ffffc081`4fdb2988 fffff807`8d0c2680*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys atikmpag+0x12680[/quote] Driver Description: ATI Video driver (remove the Catalyst Control Center and only install the Display Driver)
    Driver Update Site: Support & Drivers

You have a AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series.

I suggest completely uninstalling the display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series card.

Then do a custom install of only the Display driver.

See if that gets rid of the problem.

Ztruker, Mar 16, 2017
  11. frebreez3 Win User
    First of all, thank you for spending the time to thoroughly investigate my issue. Your research into my motherboard as well as my crash dumps is appreciated.

I will use DDU and fresh install my display driver and hope that works (I've tried it before, but well see this time!). I already had my RAM in DIMM slot 2, but your post made me double check.

Hopefully you won't hear back from me... haha

frebreez3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Various BSODs during gaming, Computer fails to start and reach BIOS - Similar Threads - Various BSODs during

2. Various BSOD codes during use and system shutdown & start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Various BSOD codes during use and system shutdown & start-up: Hello readers,For the past months seemingly after getting new monitors, but this might be irrelevant I have been getting BSODs at unpredictable moments of using my PC, and sometimes too when shutting down or logging into Windows. Next to that, my PC often turns off during...
  3. Various BSOD codes during use and system shutdown & start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Various BSOD codes during use and system shutdown & start-up: Hello readers,For the past months seemingly after getting new monitors, but this might be irrelevant I have been getting BSODs at unpredictable moments of using my PC, and sometimes too when shutting down or logging into Windows. Next to that, my PC often turns off during...
  4. Various BSOD codes during use and system shutdown & start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Brand new computer BSOD during games.

Brand new computer BSOD during games.: I am attempting to help a friend of mine troubleshoot her brand new computer that is experiencing BSOD during PUBG and some other general sluggish performance. I have already removed bloatware and am doing a fresh installation of the graphics drivers as well. From what I...
  6. Bsod something failed during a game Win 10

Bsod something failed during a game Win 10: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 133 Parameter 1: 1 Parameter 2: 1e00 Parameter 3: fffff80573beb380 Parameter 4: 0 OS version: 10_0_17763 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 256_1 OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.121 Locale ID: 1033...
  7. Various BSODs started occurring, usually while playing games.

Various BSODs started occurring, usually while playing games.: Hi, Recently my PC has been seeing BSODs quite frequently. They usually occur while playing games. The bugcheck code varies as well. Attachment 111193 Any help diagnosing the problem would be appreciated. Thanks! 70611
  8. BSOD problems (Various types usually during browsing/gaming)

BSOD problems (Various types usually during browsing/gaming): Hello all, I upgraded recently to Windows 10, my computer has always had some random BSOD problems but now it's definitely worse, it used to be only while watching videos (on windows media player) then occasionally on gaming, Now it even happens while browsing and the...
  9. BSOD playing various games

BSOD playing various games: Hello everyone, i would love to get some help whit my problem. As the title say i get different BSOD when i play games like Dragon age or Assassin creed. Here's a link to a post in tomshardware forum, they suggested me to ask in this site: BSOD when playing games - Windows...
  10. BSOD during various activities

BSOD during various activities: Recently bought all parts to build a computer, Built it all with no problems and everything was going smoothly until I started trying to watch youtube videos, download/play games, etc. When I get blue screen I get the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR stop code, I've tried things such...