Windows 10: Various errors: Background image / Windows Defender / PIN login

Discus and support Various errors: Background image / Windows Defender / PIN login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey folks, I have just set up my machine with a clean install of Windows 10. After having spent the last 2 days or so installing all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pakZ, Oct 29, 2016.

1. pakZ Win User

Various errors: Background image / Windows Defender / PIN login

Hey folks,

I have just set up my machine with a clean install of Windows 10.

After having spent the last 2 days or so installing all the programs and tools, and applying smaller registry hacks (mostly to the file explorer), I have - out of the blue - run into a couple of odd errors.

I came to notice them when I was cleaning up my wallpapers folder and tried to set 2 images as background pictures (dual monitor setup).

1.) Windows background changed to solid black.
    Upon checking the settings, it turned out that I was unable to change it back to "Image". Whenever I picked an image and hit "apply", it would fall back to "solid color".

Hence, I decided to reboot, when:

2.) I couldn't log in to my account using the PIN method.
    It worked with entering the password - but the PIN method wasn't even available in the login screen.
    Looking at the settings, it seems like it has been disabled (see Screenshot), but whenever I hit the "Hinzufügen" button, it would do nothing. (update: I tried again and had to re-enter my Windows password; afterwards, again, nothing..)

3.) On checking the systemtray, I noticed that Windows Defender was active again.
    Before, I have installed Avira Antivirus and Defender has deactivated itself without a problem. Also, in the Security settings, now, it reads that the system is protected by Windows Defender again (was Avira before).

I don't know if there are possibly more error, that I didn't spot yet. I ran the repair service (don't know it's english name, sry), but besides some strange errors with the Update service, it didn't fix anything; also, the errors still exist.
    I was able to fix the 1.) Wallpaper issue, somehow..

But the rest remains a mystery to me and I have no idea what else to do. A system restore is the last resort, since it would void a full days work of installing programs and customizing the system.

So, if anybody has any ideas and is willing to help me out, I would really appreciate it *092

Regards,

Jan

edit:
    Windows is running 1607 with all the available Updates installed.
    Also, my only suspicion would be that the security tools might have interefered; but I have never heard that they would have such an effect. I am using Avira Antivirus (Pro), Malware Anti-Bytes (Pro) - and apparently also Windows Defender. I have disabled all of them, but the outcome won't change..

:)

2. ScottSun Win User

Windows 10 PIN Not Working.

I turned on my computer today and the pin login was all messed up with various error codes. I spent an hour looking online until I found this. This works perfectly. Thank you so much!

ScottSun, Oct 29, 2016
  3. changing sign in screen name, email shown and photo

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would like to ask few questions regarding this issue.

1) Which login screen background are you trying to change on the computer? Is it the User Login Screen or the System Login Screen?

2) What are the steps that you have already tried to change the login screen on the computer?

3) What exactly happens when you try to change the login screen by following the steps that you had tried for Windows 10?

4) Did you get any error message? If yes, what is the exact error message/code that you get?

It is important to understand the difference between the various lock and login screens in Windows 8. Some of these screens are controlled by individual user accounts, while others are system-wide defaults. Knowing which screen
    you need to change can be quite confusing, owed in part to the variety of terms used to refer to them as well as the subtle differences between the two "versions" of these two screens.

The 2 login screens available on Windows 8/8.1/10 are User Login Screen and System Login Screen. Let me give you a small description about these different screens.

When a user is logged in but has locked their account, they will see a lock screen image. By default, this is an illustrated image of the Seattle Space Needle. This screen is referred as the
    User Lock Screen.

If the same user were to log back into their account, they will be brought to a login screen with a solid color background that displays their account picture. This screen is theUser Login Screen.

When the last user is logged out of the computer, a lock screen image will display that is not tied to any individual user account. We will call this the
    System Lock Screen. This screen may initially seem indistinguishable from the user lock screen as by default both these screens have the same background image.

Now, pulling up the login screen from the system lock screen will display the various user accounts you can choose from to login. This screen is referred to as the
    System Login Screen. The background color on this screen is set independently of any one user account. Just as with the system lock screen, the only way this color can be changed is by editing an advanced setting.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Oct 29, 2016
  4. pakZ Win User

Another update:
    3D Builder suddenly appeared back as well. First, I noticed it in the context menu, now it has even nested itself into the start menu again.

Also, the icons of the Windows apps have changed and appear, broken.. *really

Thema:

1. Various errors: Background image / Windows Defender / PIN login - Similar Threads - Various errors Background

2. Windows background image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows background image: I have got used to Windows resetting the background image after an update which is just an annoyance.But it also defaults to picking some random images from my recent pictures before I log in and uses them.What if it found some "private" images on the computer and they were...
  3. Windows background image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows background image: I have got used to Windows resetting the background image after an update which is just an annoyance.But it also defaults to picking some random images from my recent pictures before I log in and uses them.What if it found some "private" images on the computer and they were...
  4. PC login background images for windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC login background images for windows 10: How might I locate the right place to search for an image that I liked but couldn't figure out how to save the image to my computer before windows 10 updated to the next background image? I mean, Microsoft is sending these images to my hard drive that are presented to me at...
  5. Login background image Windows 10 LTSB

Login background image Windows 10 LTSB: Hi! I want to change the backgrond image on the lock screen in our Windows 10 LTSB 1507 but we cannot do it. I was able to change the lock backround and the desktop background image but, when is locked and prompts for a login, that background screen still the default one....
  6. Background Image

Background Image: My laptop changed the background image by itself with my PC's one. I installed Windows 10 from there website on my new PC and reinstalled the same Windows on my laptop. I connected on both devices on my Microsoft Account. However I did this a few weeks ago and my laptop's...
  7. Blurred background image during login and input of a password.

Blurred background image during login and input of a password.: After upgrade to 1903 the image in background is blurry when I login and should type password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blurred-background-image-during-login-and-input-of/ef883d07-268c-48a5-bb07-946bed2276a4
  8. Login Background Image: Setting One Picture

Login Background Image: Setting One Picture: One of the posts here indicated how to get at the series of images that display in the Lock Screen. I liked one of them and changed the Lock Screen to use that exclusively. However I don't care for the Lock Screen so I disabled it in GPEdit. I have set the Login background to...
  9. Setting One Picture as a Login Background Image

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting One Picture as a Login Background Image: One of the posts here indicated how to get at the series of images that display in the Lock Screen. I liked one of them and changed the Lock Screen to use that exclusively. However I don't care for the Lock Screen so I disabled it in GPEdit. I have set the Login background to...
  10. How to change the login screen background image?

How to change the login screen background image?: I was wondering where the login screen background image is stored? I'm trying to change it to a different image. Thanks. 31131