Windows 10: Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu...

Discus and support Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; None of these problems exist in a new profile I created. When first login the thumbnails are present, after a while they go away. When try to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vbpete01, Sep 25, 2020.

1. vbpete01 Win User

Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu...

None of these problems exist in a new profile I created.

When first login the thumbnails are present, after a while they go away.

When try to use file open with, it freezes windows explorer and i have to restart it.

There is a com host process running all the time using a lot of CPU. i looking into the details of the process and it is thumbcache.dll it runs non stop, and keeps my cpu fan going.

In outlook 2016 if i try to attach a file, it crashes outlook.

Things i have tried:

Updated everything

DSIM and DISM or whatever

sfc scannow

delete thumbnail and icon cache

Windows defender finds nothing

downloaded and ran malware bytes, nothing found

downloaded and ran CCCleaner, and found some junk registry keys related to uninstalled programs, got rid of all of those now it runs clean.

downloaded shellxview and disabled everything not by microsoft. restarted.

read in here where someone had an issue with Adobe that was causing the problem.... updated my Adobe Acrobat Pro to the latest update.

EVERYTHING else on the PC works fine, onedrive, opening and closing office apps, creating new and updating old office apps, etc.

:)

vbpete01, Sep 25, 2020

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu... :(

ArmoredCavalry, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    Add option to context menu to open file type

Save Code as .reg file and merge:

Code:
    Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu... [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu...

Issue with opening properties in context menu

Ignoring the fact that my "issue" was bloody self-explanatory.

1. I am not able to open ANY properties for ANY particular file or folder. Give me a step by step fix, please.

2. No, I did NOT get any error messages. Yet, my properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

3. No, I did NOT make any recent changes before the issue started.
    Give me a step by step fix, please.

My properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

Just give me the location please., Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu...

1. Various issues in explorer, thumbails/file type icons dissapearing, open with context menu... - Similar Threads - Various issues explorer

2. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update: I had several symptoms:"open with" in the context menu would freeze teh context menu and all explorer processes; I could only use the task manager to restart explorerin explorer, a folder with jpg images usually would show the image with "large icon" and bigger, but nothing...
  3. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update: I had several symptoms:"open with" in the context menu would freeze teh context menu and all explorer processes; I could only use the task manager to restart explorerin explorer, a folder with jpg images usually would show the image with "large icon" and bigger, but nothing...
  4. context menu "open with" freezes all explorer and no icon update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Customize File Explorer context menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer context menu?: I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a...
  6. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  7. Adding NEW file types to context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding NEW file types to context menu: Hello, I would like to add file type .FC7 to my right click (context) NEW menu so I can open a new FastCad drawing in any folder. I found one link that showed how to do this, but it did not work for me. Basically it added a key under the HK_CLASSES_ROOT tree, adding a...
  8. No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer: Can anyone help - this is driving me nuts and I cannot find answer anywhere ! I used to have four icons (shown in photo) when I opened my recycle bin in File Explorer. Suddenly they all disappeared. How do I get them to reappear ?? I am am using Windows 10 Home edition. Any...
  9. Various W10 explorer menu issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Various W10 explorer menu issues: Hello, Since my recent switch from W7 to W10 several issues spoil the progress. The first installation was a total mess, the second is lots better but still has some issues, which all seem related to the Windows Explorer Main menu. I put them all here, in one post. If it is...
  10. Add option to context menu to open file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Add option to context menu to open file type: By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click). As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have...