Windows 10: Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry

Discus and support Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey all, So essentially I was having issues installing a program in a certain location program files as it was saying I didn't have admin rights to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Humdots, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Humdots Win User

Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry

Hey all,

So essentially I was having issues installing a program in a certain location program files as it was saying I didn't have admin rights to do so even though I'm the only user on this PC and the admin, so I thought this was annoying and started looking around forums for various solutions.

Eventually I got it working by changing the access levels of administrators in the security settings of my C:\ drive, plus also doing some stuff in the registry I can't remember exactly what it was that I did and I can't find the website with that suggested fix.

Shortly afterwards I noticed that my start button / search bar weren't functioning at all, and after trying to fix this in various ways I decided ultimately to do a repair install on windows which fixed the start button & search bar, and so all was good... or so I thought.

I have since discovered that various other windows tools / apps aren't working properly. For example

• Windows default photo viewer wasn't working and seemed like it wasn't even installed until I ran this .reg file i found in step 3here.
    • I can't windows settings at all
    • Occasionally getting a recycling bin corruption error
    • seems like a few other apps might not be working from what I can see in the start menu
      • Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry cf0f15e7-73fd-4a0c-a263-90edf0c685dd?upload=true.png

So yeah I dunno I figured doing a repair install would fix all these things but it didn't... any advice?

:)

Humdots, Jun 10, 2020
  2. erixx Win User

Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Forget it and get Windows 8! *Smile Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry :)

Messing with permissions is really for advanced users, you can't win the Kernel with a crowbar *Smile Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry :)

erixx, Jun 10, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Any way to edit the registry without loading Windows?

You will need to find a way to grant yourself permissions for full control of that hive/key.
    Just as the "Trusted Installer" has.
    You may have to log on as admin to do this.

Grant Read Write (Full Control) Permissions on Registry Keys (Fix Cannot Import and Access Denied Error in RegEdit)
    How to change Registry Permissions with RegIni.exe (VBScript)

And, a search to start you on your quest.

I did it a long time ago, to get rid of & edit some hives, keys, etc.
    Goodluck.*Smile Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry :)

95Viper, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Thema:

1. Various issues with Windows after messing with permissions / registry - Similar Threads - Various issues messing

2. Mysterious error after messing up the registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious error after messing up the registry: One day, I caught myself in a "curiosity killed the cat" situation when I modified a registry key that controls ifS mode is enabled. The key is named, "VerifiableAndReputableTrustModeState" something like that, thatis located in the "Cl/Control" areas of the registry. This...
  3. Mysterious error after messing up the registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious error after messing up the registry: One day, I caught myself in a "curiosity killed the cat" situation when I modified a registry key that controls ifS mode is enabled. The key is named, "VerifiableAndReputableTrustModeState" something like that, thatis located in the "Cl/Control" areas of the registry. This...
  4. Various issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Various issues: I'm having several issues out of my computer on the Win 10 Home 64 bit version. On startup, frequently none of the shortcuts for the apps I keep on my taskbar will pull up, start menu will not pull up, anything pertaining to Windows or Microsoft will not pull up, I.E. Apps,...
  5. Registry permission issue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Registry permission issue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Access denied: Hi everyone, I have a nasty permissions issue when writing the the Windows Registry. 1. How did I noticed it? When installing Adobe products, they end in Error 160: Access denied writing to the registry to a specific key (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT aka....
  6. Various Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Various Issues: Hello, I am having quite a bit of trouble with various things and I am not too sure how to proceed. An overview of my situation: - Unable to check for updates within the settings app. I am given an error code when I try to check 0x80080005. - When I click on "Advanced...
  7. Power Slider Missing after Messing with the Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Slider Missing after Messing with the Registry: I had to mess with the registry to try to allow USB wake on my computer and I remember changing one value inside of it but don't remember which. The value apparently turned off the power slider but didn't help with the allow USB wake problem even when turning allow USB wake...
  8. Registry permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry permissions: I edited registry HKEY_CURRENT _CONFIG permission but then it deleted all users automatically except the one i created recently. Now i can't access anything i tried to restart computer and reset it from advanced optionshift + restart but after 50 - 60 % it comes back to...
  9. Various issues with corrupted registry(?) windows update, completely gone windows store,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Various issues with corrupted registry(?) windows update, completely gone windows store,...: Having tons of issues with my windows install. I've done the basic /sfc commands, dism commands, troubleshooters, and have even done multiple windows resets and repair installs from a bootable USB to no real avail. to be honest I have no idea how this happened, one day my...
  10. Messed up WindowsRE after various OS installations in a partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up WindowsRE after various OS installations in a partition: Hi. Before starting, I'd like to note that I already tried to get help from the Microsoft forums, but all I got is a redirect to the TechNet forums where the available categories don't match to my problem, so I'll try here. I'll do a quick recap: in 2013, I bought a...