Windows 10: Various Odd Problems.

Discus and support Various Odd Problems. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For starters, I have a pretty badly organised desktop, so my screen is filled with icons. Every now and then, I'll see all of the icons re-render... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Hexillium Win User

Various Odd Problems.

For starters, I have a pretty badly organised desktop, so my screen is filled with icons.

Every now and then, I'll see all of the icons re-render themselves (no idea why - nothing I've done). Here they flash white, then redraw themselves. However, after this, the normal 'link' icon that appears at the bottom-left of shortcuts changes, usually to a cross. (see picture -- https://puu.sh/yyuP0/54bccd5aa4.png)

Whilst the icons are like this, right clicking on something and hovering over "Open With >" causes Explorer to freeze. This usually results in it rebooting itself (just explorer.exe, that is).

Oddly enough, during this time, both Groovy (or whatever MS 10's new fancy audio player is called) and WMP (what I'd usually use), "don't have the codec" to play M4A files. After a fresh reboot (or sometimes, randomly) it can play them.

The thing that caused me to post on here was that I have a PNG (with transparency) on my dekstop (it's a heatmap from a game), and that overwrote itself onto the usual shortcut icon.

Something fishy is going on here. Does anyone have any ideas? I have included a list of my running processes (through Process Hacker 2).

:)

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017

2. Signs appearing in text.

This a example of what is displayed (You’re ) there are other odd signs in various forms of message,has any one else had this problem?.

nannysan_45, Dec 2, 2017
  3. power settings for windows 10 desktop pc

My monitor goes black at various odd times. I can turn it back on by moving my mouse or hitting Esc. But it should not be going black. What can I do to fix this problem?

DavidSchultenover, Dec 2, 2017
  4. vram Win User

Various Odd Problems.

Is your taskbar refreshing along with the icons? Could be explorer crashing or your thumbnail cache is corrupt.

As for the files not playing....maybe a side effect of explorer being the culprit...dunno.

Does the event viewer show any errors around the times of the occurrences?

vram, Dec 2, 2017
  5. Hexillium Win User
    Sometimes the icons are like this: https://puu.sh/yyxau/1314436443.png

It's not explorer itself (as the icons stay on the screen, the taskbar is normal and the window controls are normal).

How would I clear/rebuild the cache?

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  6. vram Win User
    The green checkbox on the icon? Do you have any sort of file sync/cloud software running?

vram, Dec 2, 2017
  7. Hexillium Win User
    Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  8. vram Win User

Various Odd Problems.

When did this start happening?

Are you also using a Microsoft account?

vram, Dec 2, 2017
  9. Hexillium Win User
    I'm not really too sure when it started happening, but it would have been within the last two months.

Yes, I am on a Microsoft account, all of the windows stuff is legit and I am on the latest update.

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  10. vram Win User
    OneDrive will sync your desktop to the cloud by default as of FCU. I unchecked desktop under OneDrive settings.

11. Hexillium Win User
    No, Desktop wasn't syncing by default for me. That might be because my OneDrive is almost full.

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  12. vram Win User
    That green check circle sure looks like a successful sync/uptodate indicator.

I know it seems pointless, but I’d stop OneDrive syncing completely and disable Dropbox for awhile just to see if it stops.

Have you installed any new programs in the last 2 months?

13. Hexillium Win User

Various Odd Problems.

I disabled them and restarted explorer.exe (with task manager).

I suspect there's some sort of database or cache issue here. I have a really fast SSD, and (most) things take no time to load. However, restarting explorer.exe made the taskbar icons (for active windows) take a lot longer than usual (it also hung the start menu).

As for installed applications, yes. Many.

Maybe the culprits are some video codecs I had to help with importing some video into a couple of older programs?

I'd take a stab in the dark and say it's more likely to be some shell extension that I have.

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    I see the Desktop rearranging at times and have to keep in mind the screen is Dynamic, not Static like a picture on the wall. Dynamic means it is constantly redrawing/refreshing, sometimes stays the same way for long periods, sometimes not so much. Since File Explorer and Internet Explorer seem to be well-integrated I don't think such changes can be completely avoided.

Berton, Dec 2, 2017
  15. Hexillium Win User
    Yes, it redrawing itself is fine. However, when it overlays odd things (I didn't capture it in time, but I just had the Audacity program icon overlayed over every single shortcut on the dekstop), I don't want that. I'm going to go through a couple of things and disable them, to see if I can reach a fix.

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
Thema:

Various Odd Problems.

1. Various Odd Problems. - Similar Threads - Various Odd Problems

2. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  3. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  4. Odd problem with shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with shortcut: Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it...
  5. Network share odd problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share odd problem?: Every time I try to copy a .ctd file directly onto my network share, the file gets completely emptied unless I zip it and then copy it into the share. Anyone have an idea why this could be and what I could do? submitted by /u/spiderbitch4003 [link] [comments]...
  6. Odd App Installation Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd App Installation Problem: Hello everyone, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 17763.1457. Fresh Windows install and update on 9/29/2020. I have a few win 10 app installation files that states the installation files are not for my version of Windows. I've tried a few of the online instructions in an...
  7. odd mouse problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    odd mouse problem: I reinstalled Windows 10 / 1903 on an HP 15 f009wm laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP site and everything works correctly except the mouse, that exhibits only jerky unusable movement, with both wired and wireless mouse. When I check the device manager there is one...
  8. Odd Windows Activation Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Odd Windows Activation Problem: Hi! I have an odd activation problem. I built a back up windows 10 machine about a year ago. At that time when I bought the parts, I bought a copy of Windows 10 Home. Windows was activated no problem, then the machine has been off line and idle since just after it was...
  9. Odd Problem with mouse binds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Problem with mouse binds: So, on my mouse, the logitech g303, whenever i press mouse3, it registers as mouse1. If there was a way to reset all my key binds to default, that would be great. When I press mouse1, it does not act as mouse3. I have already tried changing all of my key binds through the...
  10. Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with 'documents' folder.: Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into another folder named 'Doctor Web.' Looking into this, I find that Doctor Web is a piece of security software originating in...