Windows 10: Various Odd Problems.

Discus and support Various Odd Problems. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It’s like a program is trying to associate itself with stuff on your desktop. I hate to sound like a support person over at the MS answers forum... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017.

1. vram Win User

Various Odd Problems.

It’s like a program is trying to associate itself with stuff on your desktop.

I hate to sound like a support person over at the MS answers forum but in this case, maybe performing a clean boot will help. If the problem goes away, then enable startup apps one by one until you find the offending application.

How to perform a clean boot

• Press the "Windows + R" key to open a Run box.
    • Type msconfig and click OK.
    • On the General tab, click Selective startup.
    • Clear the Load startup items check box.
    • Click the Services tab.
    • Select the Hide all Microsoft services check box (at the bottom).
    • Click Disable all.
    • Click the Startup tab.
    • Click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab, right-click each enabled startup item and select Disable.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Restart.

2. vram Win User
  3. Barman58 Win User
    Was just going to suggest OneDrive, mainly because the whole system has been overhauled for the 1709 revision Fall Creators Update so check the settings Right click the Notification icon or the "folder in Explorer

This includes an option for auto synchronising desktop files as well as the New Store on Onedrive only option Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand - OneDrive

Barman58, Dec 2, 2017
  4. Hexillium Win User

Various Odd Problems.

Thank you for your responses.

I keep as many things from starting up as possible in general, so the fix isn't there.

I've found a couple of shell extensions with ShellExView that might be causing this. "Icaros" installed alongside (as a dependency, I assume) to some other software. It's not actually an install though, it's just a couple of libraries and utilities that have registered themselves as "thumbnail handler"s. I've disabled them, and I'll post when I can confirm that the issue has stopped.

Hexillium, Dec 2, 2017
  5. vram Win User
    Any updates? Would like to know what caused it.

6. Hexillium Win User
    Yes. I used ShellExView ( ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows) to have a look for any programs which were handling thumbnails.

I found these three entries that I didn't recognise:

Various Odd Problems. [​IMG]

(link to image: https://puu.sh/yzf2v/1ad739979b.png )

These came installed alongside a codec pack.

After clearing/rebuilding the icon cache and restarting, it seems to be fixed.

This seemed to prevent an error too (Code: -2147219200). It's also fixed the slow loading of icons in folders.

Hexillium, Dec 3, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing your fix *Smile

8. Hexillium Win User

Various Odd Problems.

Hmm, it's happened again. The extensions didn't re-enable themselves. I'm starting to suspect a conflict between OneDrive and Dropbox trying to change the icons together.

At least the other problems have resolved, and it's just this odd icon glitch now.

Hexillium, Dec 4, 2017
  9. vram Win User
    Easy enough to test. Just disable one of them.

Thema:

Various Odd Problems.

1. Various Odd Problems. - Similar Threads - Various Odd Problems

2. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  3. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  4. Odd problem with shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with shortcut: Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it...
  5. Network share odd problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share odd problem?: Every time I try to copy a .ctd file directly onto my network share, the file gets completely emptied unless I zip it and then copy it into the share. Anyone have an idea why this could be and what I could do? submitted by /u/spiderbitch4003 [link] [comments]...
  6. Odd App Installation Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd App Installation Problem: Hello everyone, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 17763.1457. Fresh Windows install and update on 9/29/2020. I have a few win 10 app installation files that states the installation files are not for my version of Windows. I've tried a few of the online instructions in an...
  7. odd mouse problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    odd mouse problem: I reinstalled Windows 10 / 1903 on an HP 15 f009wm laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP site and everything works correctly except the mouse, that exhibits only jerky unusable movement, with both wired and wireless mouse. When I check the device manager there is one...
  8. Odd Windows Activation Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Odd Windows Activation Problem: Hi! I have an odd activation problem. I built a back up windows 10 machine about a year ago. At that time when I bought the parts, I bought a copy of Windows 10 Home. Windows was activated no problem, then the machine has been off line and idle since just after it was...
  9. Odd Problem with mouse binds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Problem with mouse binds: So, on my mouse, the logitech g303, whenever i press mouse3, it registers as mouse1. If there was a way to reset all my key binds to default, that would be great. When I press mouse1, it does not act as mouse3. I have already tried changing all of my key binds through the...
  10. Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with 'documents' folder.: Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into another folder named 'Doctor Web.' Looking into this, I find that Doctor Web is a piece of security software originating in...