Windows 10: various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update

Discus and support various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A while ago, a couple of weeks after version 2004 became available, i had some trouble with installing updates, i still had version 1909 installed, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SaraLikesPotatos, Jul 19, 2020.

1. various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update

A while ago, a couple of weeks after version 2004 became available, i had some trouble with installing updates, i still had version 1909 installed, and a couple updates kept causing trouble when windows attempted to install them. the computer would restart 3 times every time i turned it on, trying to apply the updates, the restart trying to undo the changes, then restart after the changes were undone. this became extremely annoying and no solution i found helped so i decided to reinstall windows from scratch. i went to download windows and the only option was to download the 2004 version to make a bootable usb. i did this and when booting from the usb, the computer would restart after the windows logo appeared on screen. after many hours contacting support and getting no real answer, and trying different usb drives, removing ram, disconnecting drives, removing graphics card, putting in a different one, i gave up and started to search for a 1909 iso. i found it, made a bootable usb with it, managed to install it with no issue. i then paused the updates for a month, thinking there might have been an issue with the 2004 release or something that would be fixed in the next few weeks.

Today the month was over and windows update notified me about the 2004 version. i said yes, sure, windows, update yourself, and after the update was downloaded and i was prompted to restart. i restarted, and the same thing happened, as soon as the windows logo showed up, the computer restarted itself. after that one restart it seemed to be working ok, and i got the update thing before the log in screen, and i didn't see any "undoing changes" thing, so i thought the 2004 version had been installed. unfortunately, i then got a notification saying not all updates were successful, and when i go see which weren't, i see the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 Failed to install on 19/07/2020 -0xc1900101" error. i then googled this error and tried the solutions found here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolution-procedures Unfortunately none of those worked, and the log files mentioned were nowhere to be found. the rollback folder is there, but none of the log files mnetioned. event viewer also didn't help, as the only error around the time of update only mentioned the same thing the update window was telling me, that the update failed and the error was 0xc1900101.

Now i wonder if this may have something to do with one specific part in my computer, and if so with which? when i changed the graphics card trying to install windows from scratch using the 2004 bootable usb, i used a quadro 400 which is the only other graphics card i have available.

This is the list of the hardware in my computer:

Motherboard: msi b350m pro-vdh BIOS date: 03/14/2018 version A.B0

RAM: 4x crucial ballistix sport lt 4GB 2400 MT/s

Storage: samsung 970 evo 250 GB

Graphics card: gigabyte gtx 1060 windforce 2x oc gv-n1060wf20c-6gd BIOS versionit was never modified, just listing it for information: 86.06.39.00.8e Chipset revision: A1

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 yd1600bbm6iae which has never been overclocked or messed with

All the drivers are up to date, trying to eliminate as many variables as i could i tried this with one monitor plugged in, with 2 monitors plugged in, changed which monitor was conencted each time. tried to restart with no monitors.

One other modern operating system that i tried works fine in this computer ubuntu 20.04. this may not be relevant but i thought why not try it. 1909 also works completely fine on my computer. when i was having issues with the other updates a month ago, before reinstalling 1909 from scratch, people told me to run stress tests to see if there was maybe a hardware error. i did that and there were no crashes during the hours of stress testing. memtest reported no errors either.

I hope this is enough information, i tried to be as thorough as i could, and hopefully, if someone else has faced this same issue trying to install the 2004 update, they've found a fix and can share it with me, that would be lovely.

Thank you very much.

:)

SaraLikesPotatos, Jul 19, 2020

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Cvrk Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

These are the official EASy steps on how to do it. How to install Windows 10 Preview to your Windows Phone

There very simple and i've already tried them. The problem that i face is that the software (this app) does not find any updates for me .
    Many people across the world have this issues .So you need the proxy etc thing to get it to work.

4. chispy Win User

various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update

1. various problems trying to install the windows 10 2004 update - Similar Threads - various problems trying

2. Update Problem Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Problem Windows 10 2004: Hi Community! I have a problem with the updates. When I click update it says Cannot connect to the update server. May I know why is this happening? Is there a workaround anyway? Sorry for my bad english as this is not my native language. Shukraan lakum!...
  3. Problem updating to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem updating to Windows 10 2004: When i try to update from Update Center it all goes right until the machine starts rebooting and it freezes after the first reboot and it remains on a black screen after seeing the logo boot. Anyone had these problem? And should I add some other informations to my question?...
  4. Windows 10 2004 update problem

Windows 10 2004 update problem: The last weeks i am trying to update to Windows 10 2004. Current version is Windows 10 1909 Enterprise The problem is it keeps reverting the update because something went wrong. setuperr.log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkoYG9N1rhczmSCqzamgGVsKy-0L?e=IlGtjd setupact.log...
  5. windows 10 2004 update problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 2004 update problem: i just fresh installed 2004 version but it seems that i cannot disable RECEIVE UPDATES FOR OTHER MICROSOFT PRODUCTS WHEN AVAILABLE when i turn it off it again turns on automatically...
  6. Windows 10, 2004 update problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10, 2004 update problems: submitted by /u/TheDarijus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hwszcq/windows_10_2004_update_problems/
  7. WINDOWS 10 UPDATE 2004 PROBLEMS

WINDOWS 10 UPDATE 2004 PROBLEMS: After downloading windows update 2004 my laptop took ages and ages to start up. I did an automatic windows repair and it said that it had uninstalled windows 2004 to fix startup problems. After this, it has messed up my printer and I keep getting an error when trying to use...
  8. Windows 10 update 2004 problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update 2004 problems: The Win10 2004 update went thru the night before last/yesterday morning. Now have noticed my Iolo System Mechanic program that I paid for is gone from my computer. Are others missing files/programs? Is this a known problem with the latest update? I'm reading that others...
  9. Various Problems After Windows 10 Update

Various Problems After Windows 10 Update: After a windows update a couple of weeks back, I am having various computer problems. The first problem is that I cant print anything to my HP ENVY 5640. I have tried to remove the printer to reinstall it but it wont allow me to. Through trying to fix this I've realised...
  10. Windows 10 Various Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Various Problems: Hello All, I know this has probably been asked a few times but just need some clarification if I could, I have the below problems in list form (I'm by no means a computer whiz but can follow steps :-)) - EVERYTIME Win10 Boots it takes about 15 minutes from start to my...