Windows 10: Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable.

Discus and support Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On my son's computer it started acting up today. The following things do not work: 1 Searching the start menu. On pressing any key while visible,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pxtl, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Pxtl Win User

Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable.

On my son's computer it started acting up today. The following things do not work:

1 Searching the start menu. On pressing any key while visible, the start menu disappears.

2 Bringing up the restart menu. It appears after a long and inconsistent delay.

3 Searching anywhere in the system. Search bar in Settings disappear instantly.

4 Uninstalling software. I can only modify - the uninstall context menu disappears instantly. Fortunately I can uninstall in the modify menu.

Things I have attempted:

• sfc /scannow
    • dism both variants
    • various troubleshooters
    • installing all updates
    • the big crazy powershell script that reinstalls all that ****.
    • switching to other user profiles - each of my children have their own user account and they all have this bug
    • turning off all startup programs in task manager
    • restart with msconfig with all non-microsoft services turned off
    • safe mode

Only safe mode works, and obviously it does not work after I *leave* safe mode, and living in safe mode is not an option. What does safe mode do that all non-MS services disabled not do? Idunno. Can't figure out.

:)

2. qubit Win User

Metro UI Tweaker: Make Windows 8 Look Like Windows 7

For those of you trying out the Windows 8 developer release who already hanker for the old Windows 7 look, help is now at hand! Enter Metro UI Tweaker from The Windows Club. From the screenshots below, you can see that things like the Explorer Ribbon and the Metro Start menu can be turned off. It can do a lot more, however.

Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable. metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8_thm.jpg

Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable. win8lookslikewin7_thm.jpg

Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable. metro%20ui%20start_thm.jpg

Note: This application requires the enabling of .NET Framework 3.5.1 on the Windows 8 developer preview as follows:
    1 Fire up Control Panel then click on More Settings and go Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off
    2 Select .NET Framework 3.5.1 from the listing and click OK
    3 Windows will connect to Windows Update to download the required files
    4 When that’s done, you’re good to go

The tweaks currently being offered are:

1 Disable Metro Start menu: Disables only Metro Start menu screen. This function requires editing a system file. It does not remove the file
    2 Disable Metro Ribbon: Disables only the Metro Ribbon UI. It requires taking ownership of a system file. It does not remove this file
    3 Disable Metro Start menu and Ribbon: Disables the Metro Start menu UI, Ribbon UI, Metro Task Manager UI and the lock screen
    4 Enable Metro Start menu and Ribbon: Re-enables all available Metro UI options
    5 Add power options to the Metro Start menu screen: Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown
    6 Add any application/file to the Metro UI Start menu screen: Some applications/files may not be available to you to add to the Metro Start menu screen. This program allows you to add those applications/files which would otherwise be unavailable

When first run, the program will generate a folder in your Windows directory labelled Metro UI Tools. This folder is there to keep your power option apps in place without worrying about them having to be moved. Once generated and the files are unpacked from the program, do not remove the folder or the power apps from this folder as these options will no longer be available and may generate errors. The program works on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. It's constantly being refined, so check the Windows Club website regularly for updates.

Sources: ZDNet | The Windows Club | Microsoft Developer Preview Intro | Windows 8 Developer ISO download page

qubit, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

4. jtw23 Win User

Bloatware updates make system unusable

A couple of things just occurred to me.

The way a software update works is in two steps. The first step is to
    download the files, and the second step is to install the files. The
    problem I've been describing is that installing the files for Windows
    apps (bloatware) takes over the whole machine, and makes it almost
    unusable.

The Windows OS updates are installed by requiring a restart, and then
    the installation takes place during the restart ("23% completed --
    don't turn off your computer"), and that take a few minutes or a
    couple of hours, depending on the size of the update,

The bloatware updates are similar, except that they don't require a
    restart. Instead they simply make your system almost unusable for a
    couple of hours. In other words, the OS updates and the App updates
    really both take control of the computer, but the OS updates do it in
    the context of a restart.

That shouldn't happen. The app installation should just run in the
    background, and allow everything else to run normally. The fact that
    it's making the system almost unusable means that the installation is
    running at a high priority. If it ran at a normal priority, then
    maybe there wouldn't be any problem.

Well, it occurs to me that the Process Explorer program (from
    sysinternals) has a "Priority" column. I have Process Explorer up all
    the time anyway, so it's handy when there's a problem. So now I've
    added the "Priority" column, and I've set the display to show
    processes in decreasing order of priority. And wow, there's a bunch
    of them running at priority 13 (high), and most of them running at 8
    (normal). Interestingly, Firefox and Chrome run at priority 4 (low).

So anyway, next time I get an attack, I'll take a look at the Process
    Explorer window, and maybe that will tell me who's causing the
    problem. And maybe, just maybe, I can just set that process to normal
    or low priority, and solve the problem. (Sorry, I may have crossed
    the line into fantasy thinking, but I can't help myself.)

jtw23, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Various windows UI menus disappear instantly, making the system unusable. - Similar Threads - Various menus disappear

2. Windows 10 menus/UI weird bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 menus/UI weird bug: Hi,I'm having a problem with my windows 10 menus/UI.The only way i found to fix it is to restart my computer.I don't understand when it starts to happen.For further information I have my keyboard, mouse, xbox one controller plugged.I already tried restarting some services but...
  3. Windows 10 menus/UI weird bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 menus/UI weird bug: Hi,I'm having a problem with my windows 10 menus/UI.The only way i found to fix it is to restart my computer.I don't understand when it starts to happen.For further information I have my keyboard, mouse, xbox one controller plugged.I already tried restarting some services but...
  4. Windows menus instantly close

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows menus instantly close: Anything in the windows taskbar instantly closes when i click on it once. When I right click on anything related to windows like the taskbar or when trying left click on the uninstall in the apps and features it instantly closes. When I try to turn off my computer the menu...
  5. Windows 10 settings unusable due to system continuously "Shift+Tabbing" in the menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 settings unusable due to system continuously "Shift+Tabbing" in the menus: Hi, hopefully someone can assist with this, I can't find much about this issue. Every time I go in the Windows 10 search bar, Start menu or Settings, my computer automatically and continuously "****+Tab" in the menus, meaning it keeps cycling through the various entries,...
  6. OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive makes System Restore unusable on multiple devices!: I was attempting to use System Restore to correct an issue, and got a similar OneDrive error that I've seen in the past. Apparently when I create System Restore points with my school OneDrive linked to Windows, the restore point is unusable and terminates almost immediately...
  7. All UI menus and items blank/missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All UI menus and items blank/missing: So I just RDP'd into my home machine, only to find that ALL standard toolbar UI menu items and dropdowns, even everything in the task manager, were nothing but completely blank, empty shells, like there was supposed to be content in them but nothing was there. Did a recent...
  8. Bloatware updates make system unusable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bloatware updates make system unusable: Thread: Bloatware updates make system unusable At random times, Windows becomes so slow that it's almost unusable. Task manager shows the C disk active at 100% for hours. It takes me 15 minutes to copy a file. Sometimes the disk pointer is frozen for a minute or two. This...
  9. UI on windows 10 apps is messed up making apps unusable

in Windows 10 Customization
    UI on windows 10 apps is messed up making apps unusable: Alot of my windows apps look like this. Im not sure if this is a windows issue or display driver issue. Please help https://imgur.com/a/qlUitef...
  10. Properties Menus and Device Properties menus unusable

in Windows 10 Support
    Properties Menus and Device Properties menus unusable: Hi guys, first-timer here. I ran into this issue when I attempted to change the album names of multiple files simultaneously. The properties window that showed up was massively wide - I can't resize it, read the text on the buttons, or even drag to the far end of it. The...