Windows 10: VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

Discus and support VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an ST Microcontroller and have it loaded with ST CDC firmware. This firmware and the supplied ST driver Actually usbser.sys Windows driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shingadaddy, Nov 20, 2020.

1. VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

I have an ST Microcontroller and have it loaded with ST CDC firmware. This firmware and the supplied ST driver Actually usbser.sys Windows driver causes the PC to act as a com port.

I have a PC with Windows 7, Running a VB6 built executable. This works with my ST microcontroller.

Same PC - Uprgades to Windows 10
    I have Windows 10 with the SAME VB6 executable. This DOES NOT WORK with my ST microcontroller. And throws Error 8015.

as soon as the VB application tries to OPEN the com port.

Run time error '8015':

Could not set comm state, there may be one or more invalid communication parameters.

No device Lock. Com ports not blocked.

No other device hoarding the com port. I can set the com port to any number and the result is the same.

As tests.

1. I can use a different application than VB one of several TERMINAL applications - putty / termite etc.... and I get good functionality with the ST microcontroller as expected.

2. I also have installed a USB to RS232 UART converter and its driver. Not my ST microcontroller and IT works with the VB APPLICATION !

The ST micro and its driver seem to enumerate as needed but when the port open command is encountered is when the error is thrown. Seems something gets heartburn at that point.The VB application seem to get heartburn just before the application tries to communicate.

On the ST end - there is no COM PORT. The sent com port parameters from the PC over USB com port app over endpoint 0 are not used.

Along with any hints that might prove helpful, is there ANY difference in how Windows 7 and Windows 10 handles USB2.0 device enumeration orCOM PORT control responses expected back to the PC, that might be an issue here???

Please advise and thank you in advance.

:)

shingadaddy, Nov 20, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Nov 20, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

1. VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - VB6 app works

2. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  3. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  4. Will VB6 run in Lunix

Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  5. Windows 7 VB- compile versus Windows 10 VB6 compile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 7 VB- compile versus Windows 10 VB6 compile: I create a VB6 program called Trucker.1.0 and compile in using Windows 7. Within the application title box when compiling it, is the name 'Daily_TASK'. Now I assume this is from some previous project. However, when I execut the Trucker program , "ALL is fine". NOW movinf to...
  6. VB6 manifest for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 manifest for Windows 11: I'm testing my legacy VB6 app in Windows 11 and so far almost everything is perfect. However, I do have a display issue with some of the Common Controls listboxes, checkboxes, etc that's causing some visual problems. I'm suspecting that the manifest that I created to use .NET...
  7. VB6 manifest for Windows 11

VB6 manifest for Windows 11: I'm testing my legacy VB6 app in Windows 11 and so far almost everything is perfect. However, I do have a display issue with some of the Common Controls listboxes, checkboxes, etc that's causing some visual problems. I'm suspecting that the manifest that I created to use .NET...
  8. Release date for Windows 10 1903 VB6 errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Release date for Windows 10 1903 VB6 errors: Does anyone know when the fix for the VB6 issue will be fixed in Windows 10 1903? i can see it has been fixed in 1803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/release-date-for-windows-10-1903-vb6-errors/170a311a-856a-4a88-924f-61053a01e0f0
  9. VB6 on Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 on Win10: Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8. But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing...
  10. Old VB6 App

Old VB6 App: Hi, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for these small problems I and a few others are having with an old VB6 application which is not working properly under Win10. The vast majority of this program is working fine, just 2 (so far!) small functions are not working. 1....