Windows 10: VB6 Help file location

Discus and support VB6 Help file location in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've installed an old version of VB6 on my Windows 10 64 bit system. The program works fine,but when I click on Help all I get is the message 'Unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cpat, Aug 9, 2017.

1. cpat Win User

VB6 Help file location

I've installed an old version of VB6 on my Windows 10 64 bit system. The program works fine,but when I click on Help all I get is the message 'Unable to display Help'.
    Can someone tell me where the help files would have been installed, and the file names?

:)

cpat, Aug 9, 2017

2. mscomctl.ocx in Windows 10 no longer will load

It's not simply a matter of registering it. Here's what I know so far:

Apparently Microsoft has created a new version of MSCOMCTL.OCX that is now distributed with some office products (such as MS Access). When installed it can be found in the folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\SystemX86 and is version
    7.0.52.6282 dated 9/3/2017.

Moving this to the location where the VB6 IDE wants it (c:\windows\SysWOW64) will now allow the VB6 IDE to work but you must have already registered the previous version with regsvr32. If you try to register the new version you get an error. Also - in
    the components view of the VB6 IDE you get TWO copies of MSCOMCTL.OCX - but at least the VB6 IDE continues to work.

You CANNOT distribute the newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX (the 7.x version) because it will fail to register. So you must be careful to redistribute an older copy of MSCOMCTL.OCX.

Obviously this is messed up.

It looks like a Windows 10 Update has broken the MSCOMCTL.OCX for the VB6 IDE only.

Daniel Desjardins (dan.desjardins), Aug 9, 2017
  3. Jo Assink Win User
    Visual Basic 6

Is there any way to use old VB6 *.HLP-files for Windows10 users ? MSDN works OK, but the old Help-files were short and easy to find the subject required. I still got the files, but no way to use them.

Jo Assink, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

VB6 Help file location

Hi there. Because of security concerns MS has not allowed .hlp files to open even with the WinHlp32 Viewer, for that won't load either.

Unless someone has another means, you may want to search the Net for another way or see if you can find a pdf file.

I found these search results: open help files in windows 10 - Bing

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  5. cpat Win User
    Thanks, I'll see what I can find on the internet.

cpat, Aug 9, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    From the link given I went to this one:
    Microsoft Community
    At the very last posting the instructions work fine.

Berton, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Gordon7 Win User
    I have Win 10 1607 build 14393.1593 (64bit) installed and XP Office (32bit) that use VB6.
    When I go to the VB6 folder and click directly on the help files, they open as they should, all functions are OK!

VB6 Help file location [​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Gordon7, Aug 10, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

VB6 Help file location

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    I installed the help thingy and it works, have some old .hlp files and can read them. Here's the .hlp file I copied from an old program by double-clicking to open and copying:

I don't know if installing such a program will pick up the build-in help feature or not, don't know when I'll have a chance to check.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

VB6 Help file location

1. VB6 Help file location - Similar Threads - VB6 Help file

2. DMP file upload location help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DMP file upload location help: Can someone help out with this, my pc keeps crashing and i don't know who to send this DMP file tothanks a million in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dmp-file-upload-location-help/143c645e-22f1-4e10-a5d8-631f1416b758
  3. DMP file upload location help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DMP file upload location help: Can someone help out with this, my pc keeps crashing and i don't know who to send this DMP file tothanks a million in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dmp-file-upload-location-help/143c645e-22f1-4e10-a5d8-631f1416b758
  4. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  5. VB6 isntallation

VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  6. Will VB6 run in Lunix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  7. Will VB6 run in Lunix

Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  8. VB6 Outlook GetObject

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 Outlook GetObject: HI, Have two VB6 projects. In Project - References I have no reference to OutLook. The one project works 100% with GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") and if Outlook is not running I issue CreateObject("Outlook.Application). Both scenarios works. In the other project I get...
  9. VB6 on Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 on Win10: Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8. But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing...
  10. Old VB6 App

Old VB6 App: Hi, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for these small problems I and a few others are having with an old VB6 application which is not working properly under Win10. The vast majority of this program is working fine, just 2 (so far!) small functions are not working. 1....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vb6 ide help files