Windows 10: VB6 on Win10

Discus and support VB6 on Win10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Heramb Phadke, Sep 5, 2018.

1. VB6 on Win10

Hello All,

I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8.

But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing the list of COMM ports is empty (even if the computer has few COMM ports available).

We have another EXE developed in VB2010 edition. This EXE lists all the COMM ports in a dropdown on: Win7, Win8 and Win10.

But, an EXE developed in VB6 doesn't work on Win10.

My expectation:

1. Can we "somehow" make an EXE (written in VB6) to list all available COMM ports on Win10 OS?

2. If above is not possible, then what is an alternate solution for it?

~Heramb Phadke

:)

Heramb Phadke, Sep 5, 2018
  2. thanhtan Win User

VB6 or VB.Net?

This describes some of the many differences between VB6 and VB.NET. Much of the current VB6 code base will not run under VB.NET due to changes in VB.NET's syntax and language, its use of the new common runtime, and its switch to WinForms from the VB6 form model.

Visual Basic.NET includes an upgrade tool to assist in converting VB6 projects to .NET. The tool adds an upgrade report to your project listing any problems and inserts comments into your code and To Do items into the new Task List indicating where additional changes need to be made.

However, understanding the following changes can help simplify migrating your existing VB6 code. For further information on this topic, visit Microsoft's web site.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Electronics maze

thanhtan, Sep 5, 2018
  3. VB6 or VB.Net?

I'd say skip VB6 and go .NET. It allows you to do basically anything.

DanTheBanjoman, Sep 5, 2018
  4. user33331 Win User

VB6 on Win10

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

VB6 on Win10

1. VB6 on Win10 - Similar Threads - VB6 Win10

2. VB6 SP6 IDE and legacy programs run fine on windows Xp-7-10 & 11. On W11 it will only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 SP6 IDE and legacy programs run fine on windows Xp-7-10 & 11. On W11 it will only...: I used the debug feature to see that all printer commands are sent to my error section but only when using a physical printer. All the PDF printers work fine. This is all of my programs new and old. They work fine on Windows XP, 7 and 10 but not on 11. I assume it is an OCX...
  3. VB6 SP6 IDE and legacy programs run fine on windows Xp-7-10 & 11. On W11 it will only...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 SP6 IDE and legacy programs run fine on windows Xp-7-10 & 11. On W11 it will only...: I used the debug feature to see that all printer commands are sent to my error section but only when using a physical printer. All the PDF printers work fine. This is all of my programs new and old. They work fine on Windows XP, 7 and 10 but not on 11. I assume it is an OCX...
  4. Porting BIG VB6 project to VB.net

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Porting BIG VB6 project to VB.net: I have VB6 project with about 150,000 code lines that controls sophisticated automatic/manual calibration system. The system hardware was recently updated and some of the hardware drivers does not support any more VB6 32 bit applications.The whole calibration software package...
  5. Porting BIG VB6 project to VB.net

Porting BIG VB6 project to VB.net: I have VB6 project with about 150,000 code lines that controls sophisticated automatic/manual calibration system. The system hardware was recently updated and some of the hardware drivers does not support any more VB6 32 bit applications.The whole calibration software package...
  6. Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10: Many many years ago I developed a VB6 program accessing an Access db running on Windows XP. I am now trying to convert the application to run on Windows 10. Have had partial success but now really stuck and wondering if anyone could help.What I have done so far is:- changed &...
  7. Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10

Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10: Many many years ago I developed a VB6 program accessing an Access db running on Windows XP. I am now trying to convert the application to run on Windows 10. Have had partial success but now really stuck and wondering if anyone could help.What I have done so far is:- changed &...
  8. Legacy VB6 program created in Windows XP. Trying to move exe to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. VB6 isntallation

VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  10. A VB6-Based System Cannot Display Hong Kong Chinese Characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A VB6-Based System Cannot Display Hong Kong Chinese Characters in Win10: Hello. I have a VB6-based system running fine and displaying correct HK Chinese characters when install in Win 7. But HK characters are turned into "?" when I install it in Win10. I included HKSCS characters in all the keyboard options already. I can type and see special HK...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vb6 win10

2. vb6 win10 logged in user

3. VB6 problem with WIN10 1809 upgrade

4. getobject outlook.application win10,
  5. win10 vb6 using advapi32.dll,
  6. win10 run vb,
  7. chm file vb6 win10,
  8. vb.net install win10,
  9. download vb6 in windows 10 x64,
  10. app.path vb6 win10