Windows 10: VB6 on Win10

Discus and support VB6 on Win10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Heramb Phadke, Sep 5, 2018.

1. VB6 on Win10

Hello All,

I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8.

But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing the list of COMM ports is empty (even if the computer has few COMM ports available).

We have another EXE developed in VB2010 edition. This EXE lists all the COMM ports in a dropdown on: Win7, Win8 and Win10.

But, an EXE developed in VB6 doesn't work on Win10.

My expectation:

1. Can we "somehow" make an EXE (written in VB6) to list all available COMM ports on Win10 OS?

2. If above is not possible, then what is an alternate solution for it?

~Heramb Phadke

:)

Heramb Phadke, Sep 5, 2018
  2. thanhtan Win User

VB6 or VB.Net?

This describes some of the many differences between VB6 and VB.NET. Much of the current VB6 code base will not run under VB.NET due to changes in VB.NET's syntax and language, its use of the new common runtime, and its switch to WinForms from the VB6 form model.

Visual Basic.NET includes an upgrade tool to assist in converting VB6 projects to .NET. The tool adds an upgrade report to your project listing any problems and inserts comments into your code and To Do items into the new Task List indicating where additional changes need to be made.

However, understanding the following changes can help simplify migrating your existing VB6 code. For further information on this topic, visit Microsoft's web site.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Electronics maze

thanhtan, Sep 5, 2018
  3. VB6 or VB.Net?

I'd say skip VB6 and go .NET. It allows you to do basically anything.

DanTheBanjoman, Sep 5, 2018
  4. user33331 Win User

VB6 on Win10

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

VB6 on Win10

1. VB6 on Win10 - Similar Threads - VB6 Win10

2. KB5001337 has broken VB6 vertical scrollbar in Windows 10 version 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5001337 has broken VB6 vertical scrollbar in Windows 10 version 1909: Since KB5001337 was applied to Windows 10 version 1909, the vertical scrollbar in our VB6 application now shows as a white box instead and no events are actioned from the vertical scrollbar meaning that scrolling is now disabled on all screens that use this control. Later...
  3. Match VB6 development environment to colleague

Match VB6 development environment to colleague: I am trying to match my VB6 environment to a colleague's environment. In a particular project he shows the control "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 SP6". On my PC I show the control "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0". I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get...
  4. VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VB6 app works in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10: I have an ST Microcontroller and have it loaded with ST CDC firmware. This firmware and the supplied ST driver Actually usbser.sys Windows driver causes the PC to act as a com port. I have a PC with Windows 7, Running a VB6 built executable. This works with my ST...
  5. A VB6-Based System Cannot Display Hong Kong Chinese Characters in Win10

A VB6-Based System Cannot Display Hong Kong Chinese Characters in Win10: Hello. I have a VB6-based system running fine and displaying correct HK Chinese characters when install in Win 7. But HK characters are turned into "?" when I install it in Win10. I included HKSCS characters in all the keyboard options already. I can type and see special HK...
  6. VB6 and Run time error 9

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 and Run time error 9: All the sudden when I try to add data in a program the error 9 will come up, but the data is still installed. When you hit enter the data will install, then the program will be ended. When I run the program in a VB6 program it works OK. This program worked great for 10...
  7. problems running vb6 application using access mdb on windows 10 and windows server, getting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problems running vb6 application using access mdb on windows 10 and windows server, getting...: we have a vb 6 application developed on windows/xp, and has run perfectly ok on windows 7. windows 10 and windows server 2019 have been recently installed, and now getting random errors and program crashes, saying disk error, database error etc error codes 3040, 3078 etc....
  8. Release date for Windows 10 1903 VB6 errors

Release date for Windows 10 1903 VB6 errors: Does anyone know when the fix for the VB6 issue will be fixed in Windows 10 1903? i can see it has been fixed in 1803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/release-date-for-windows-10-1903-vb6-errors/170a311a-856a-4a88-924f-61053a01e0f0
  9. VB6 Outlook GetObject

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 Outlook GetObject: HI, Have two VB6 projects. In Project - References I have no reference to OutLook. The one project works 100% with GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") and if Outlook is not running I issue CreateObject("Outlook.Application). Both scenarios works. In the other project I get...
  10. VB6 Help file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 Help file location: I've installed an old version of VB6 on my Windows 10 64 bit system. The program works fine,but when I click on Help all I get is the message 'Unable to display Help'. Can someone tell me where the help files would have been installed, and the file names? 91008

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vb6 win10

2. vb6 win10 logged in user

3. VB6 problem with WIN10 1809 upgrade

4. getobject outlook.application win10,
  5. win10 vb6 using advapi32.dll,
  6. win10 run vb,
  7. chm file vb6 win10,
  8. vb.net install win10,
  9. download vb6 in windows 10 x64,
  10. app.path vb6 win10