Windows 10: Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

Discus and support Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop running Windows 10 Home and I'm going through all the steps to secure my device and set everything up. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lrhodesfell, May 3, 2020.

1. Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop running Windows 10 Home and I'm going through all the steps to secure my device and set everything up. I was planning on using VeraCrypt for drive encryption, but noticed that "Device Encryption" is already enabled. I didn't really know what this was, since I was used to BitLocker with W10 Pro, and, well, I still don't. Is it worth it to go ahead with VeraCrypt or do I not need to bother since I have "Device Encryption" already enabled?

Edit: I have another question: should I have both an admin and standard account, or is this outdated advice given that we have UAC?

submitted by /u/lrhodesfell
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lrhodesfell, May 3, 2020
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

Encryption - VeraCrypt is it trustworthy and effective?

Ciao JeffBender1,

I'm Ugo, a Microsoft Independent Advisor willing to help other Microsoft customers.

Regarding your question, VeraCrypt is an Open Source project, forked from the very famous TrueCrypt (now abandoned), that is very reliable and solves some issues that were in TrueCrypt.

Even I personally use (and trust) VeraCrypt, you can find more information here:

VeraCrypt - Wikipedia

https://lifehacker.com/windows-encryption-showd...

DISCLAIMER: In this post are linked some non-Microsoft websites and there may be ads on the pages for products & services including products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Product). Please thoroughly research any product / service advertised
    on the pages before you decide to use them. Your discretion is very much advised.

Please let me know if this helped somehow.

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, May 3, 2020
  3. Encryption - VeraCrypt is it trustworthy and effective?

Since Microsoft understands that upselling drives revenue but not customer satisfaction - I'm looking for an encryption option as bitlocker isn't included with my Windows 10 Home version.

Does VeraCrypt work well?

Are there significant downsides? i.e. They have access to information, etc.

Thanks

ImaRaindog, May 3, 2020
  4. Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

Encryption - VeraCrypt is it trustworthy and effective?

VeraCrypt is one among many free third party disk encryption tools that are recommended if you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for BitLocker.

Before VeraCrypt, I use use to recommend the defunct TrueCrypt, which worked well and that legacy continues with VeraCrypt of being a solid alternative.

There are others that have also be forked from TrueCrypt you can also consider:

https://securitygladiators.com/truecrypt-gone-b...

As with all encryption tools, do be careful before implementing. Have a backup before you start using it.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Always decrypt and suspend encryption before performing feature updates to new version of Windows. This something you are gonna regularly do when it comes to Windows 10. We have seen cases where customers didn't suspend encryption and lost access to their data.

Andre Da Costa, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

1. Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?" - Similar Threads - Veracrypt alongside device

2. Veracrypt automount

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Veracrypt automount: Hey! How do i get veracrypt to automount? i have diffrent passwords, on all my veracrypt drives? 180623
  3. Device Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Encryption: Hi team,The OS in my laptop is Windows 10 Home, and it has Device Encryption. When I tried to dual boot my laptop with ubuntu, it said that Bitlocker Encryption is enabled on the drive, so to install Ubuntu turn off the Bitlocker.So I have turned off the bitlocker and dual...
  4. Veracrypt

Veracrypt: Hello, Long time no see I have installed Veracrypt for some time ago! but now it keeps dismounting the drive i have encrypted and i have the following settings: but it keeps dismounting 179135
  5. veracrypt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    veracrypt: I am trying to build a 2+TB container on a 5TB USB 7200RPM hard drive using a dell 5584 with a IntelR CoreTM i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz. It wants to take more than 4 days. Mostly this appears through the task manager to be that it is writing less than 0.8MB per sec, and often...
  6. Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive: I use a laptop with a Veracrypt encrypted system drive (yes I know I could use Bitlocker but no, I don't trust Microsoft when it comes to encryption). Now I want to create an image of the drive using Macrium Reflect booted from a USB thumb drive. Would that work? And if it...
  7. System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption: I have this problem for a while now. I use VeraCrypt for the system Windows drive and other volumes. When memory usage is heavy usually because of Firefox Portable, eventually everything freezes, and the disk I/O LED at my notebook becomes unlit indefinitely. The only way out...
  8. Device Encryption

Device Encryption: When I go on Start Menu >>> System Information >>> Device Encryption Support the value of this item is "Evaluation Needed to Display". What does that mean? Windows 10 Home Edition...
  9. how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  10. What does "encrypting windows partition" mean in Veracrypt?

What does "encrypting windows partition" mean in Veracrypt?: I am using a test drive with Win 10, it's an ssd-500gb. I ask because it is taking 75 minutes to encrypt. Is it encrypting most of the drive, or just a small partition? Veracrypt will not allow for whole drive encryption, it defaults to Windows partition only. 127164