Windows 10: Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

Discus and support Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a new drive, it's for storage only, can I simply use quick format with Veracrypt? Bitlocker has the option to encrypt as you put data on the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CannonRebel, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

I have a new drive, it's for storage only, can I simply use quick format with Veracrypt? Bitlocker has the option to encrypt as you put data on the drive, instead of encrypting the whole drive first, is that not similar to quick format? Encrypt the entire drive, or to not encrypt the entire drive, that is the question? Confused

:)

CannonRebel, Jun 19, 2021
  2. ZachWax Win User

use veracrypt with bitlocker?

Can I first encrypt my drive with veracrypt then encrypt it with bitlocker for two layers of protection? I know my device is compatible with both.

ZachWax, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Bitlocker enabled itself after VeraCrypt reboot

Hi, I installed veracrypt on my desktop this morning running windows 10. Everything went perfectly. I then tried installing VeraCrypt on a microsoft surface pro 3 running windows 8.1. After the initial VeraCrypt reboot, I entered my VeraCrypt password
    (which was successful) and then it took me to a bitlocker recovery screen.

I've never touched bitlocker, specifically because I don't trust it. This was the whole reason I installed VeraCrypt. Since I didn't enable it I obviously don't have the recovery key, and after checking my microsoft account, I don't have any recovery keys
    listed there either.

I was able to remove the VeraCrypt Prompt (after booting the USB that cointained the EFI folder) because VeraCrypt hadn't actually encrypted the drive yet, it was a simple restart to test the password prompt. For whatever reason, this enabled BitLocker
    and I'm pretty sure I'm completely screwed. No system restore points visible, can't boot into safe mode, no advanced recovery options working.

really_screwed, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

Bitlocker enabled itself after VeraCrypt reboot

That's good information. I'm glad I never tried VeraCrypt and stuck with BitLocker as it appears VeraCrypt can't be trusted.

194229b7-e8c7-42b4-9fc8-167138d3392c, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

1. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive? - Similar Threads - Veracrypt Bitlocker Formatting

2. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  3. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  4. Format a bitlocked drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Format a bitlocked drive: Hi Community, I have the following situation:I want to format a drive locked with bitlocker. I can boot the drive and use the laptop normally because I know the bitlocker key, but I dont remembrer neither the bitlocker recovery pass nor bios password, bios is blocking to boot...
  5. Veracrypt

Veracrypt: Hello, Long time no see I have installed Veracrypt for some time ago! but now it keeps dismounting the drive i have encrypted and i have the following settings: but it keeps dismounting 179135
  6. veracrypt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    veracrypt: I am trying to build a 2+TB container on a 5TB USB 7200RPM hard drive using a dell 5584 with a IntelR CoreTM i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz. It wants to take more than 4 days. Mostly this appears through the task manager to be that it is writing less than 0.8MB per sec, and often...
  7. Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive: I use a laptop with a Veracrypt encrypted system drive (yes I know I could use Bitlocker but no, I don't trust Microsoft when it comes to encryption). Now I want to create an image of the drive using Macrium Reflect booted from a USB thumb drive. Would that work? And if it...
  8. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  9. Veracrypt not possible with GPT drive system

Veracrypt not possible with GPT drive system: you see the image attached? hi btw *Smile I want to encrypt my computer but veracrypt seems to be incompatible with GUID. can I keep my windows installation and convert to MBR so that I can encrypt? Or should I go with the now dated and discontinued truecrypt? are...
  10. BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?

BitLocker vs VeraCrypt?: Hello As far as I understand BitLocker allows only to encrypt entire disk. I need to encrypt my personal files (financial documents, identifications) in fast reliable and flexible way. I was using TrueCrypt in past and it was very convenient - create folder , put there all...