Windows 10: Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly

Discus and support Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically. I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Adrian_PM, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Adrian_PM Win User

Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly

Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically.
    I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display so have been using a display scale of 200% to make it readable. This has been fine in all previous versions of Windows but after the most recent update everything is "out of proportion". Previously, right-click menus, Title bars, windows contents were alll pretty consistent in size. Now the explorer windows, most right click menus etc. are comically large while control panel windows, browser and app windows are how they used to be. This includes the right-click menus over apps (between task view and hidden icons) so not all menus are borked.

Somehow, the font also looks different with lines "squashed up". Display Scaling is the only adjustment available now so I don't know how to restore things to how they were.

At 200% (what used to be required to make icons usable) text is now overblown in most regions. Compare with the settings panel on the right which is more like it used to be:Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly [​IMG]

For reference, at 100% everything is too tiny but even still, the balance between icons, windows, menus and system settings is still broken:

Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly c266828c-eda2-4d0e-8fbd-d3c1975d5a04?upload=true.png

Font size control was removed from Windows 10 and replaced by the single scale parameter. This used to work OK but now does not. What other controls are we supposed to use to get a display that is comfortable to use?

:)

Adrian_PM, Oct 27, 2018
  2. NeoSOS Win User

Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Oct 27, 2018
  3. Change fonts

Hi John,

Fonts are part of an appearance customization settings in Windows. For us to have a better understanding on your concern with fonts, we’d like to request a complete and detailed information about the following:

• The version of your Windows. To know which version of Windows you are using, press
      Windows + R to open run window, type
      winver and press Enter.
    • The exact name of the font you want to change.
    • The application you are using that you want to change the fonts.
    • If you changed your desktop theme.
    • If you downloaded this font package.
    • Screenshot of this font.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Oct 27, 2018
  4. Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly

Windows 10 changing Font

Found this reply from 2015 for our problem in 2017

Set up of Font Size:

In the original version of Windows 10 You had some control over the Font Sizing:

Go to

** Control Panel

Appearance & Personalization

** DISPLAY

Display Setting Choices:

Change Size of Items

*** Change only Text Size [ From a Drop down menu ]

Tile Bars Changes:

Menus Changes:

Message Boxes Changes:

Palette Tiles Changes:

Icons Changes: Names below Icons on Desktop

Tooltips Changes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Version 1703 after the latest update inMarch/Aprir of 2017:

1. "Display" Settings No Longer available in "Control Panel"

2. When RH Clicking on the desktop "Display Settings" open up BUT

"Change only Text Size" IS NOT Available

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SuJata Moktan's Answer to the problem

Please follow the steps in order to change the fonts.

To change the font size in desktop:

• Tap Start button.
      WHICH BUTTON IS THAT ??
    • Type Fonts.
    • Select “View Installed Fonts”.
    • Select “Change Font Size”.
    • There is a drop down. "Title Bar" with another drop down to its right showing point size numbers.
    If you right-click on the type of font you selected earlier and select "Preview", it will show you how that font will look in all sizes.

I hope the above information was helpful. Get back to us with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

RomanRosiek, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly

1. Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly - Similar Threads - Version 1803 changed

2. Display Font Size Changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Font Size Changed: Hi, Last week I started up my Surface laptop Studio and the Font Size has changed. Everything is huge and I do not like it. Could somebody please assist me with resolving this issue? I went into the display settings several of times and still cannot figure it out. R/SAndy...
  3. Display Font Size Changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Font Size Changed: Hi, Last week I started up my Surface laptop Studio and the Font Size has changed. Everything is huge and I do not like it. Could somebody please assist me with resolving this issue? I went into the display settings several of times and still cannot figure it out. R/SAndy...
  4. Displayed fonts look "bitmap" rather than "vectorized"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displayed fonts look "bitmap" rather than "vectorized": I bought a new hard disk, installed it and every thing works fine. One thing is that the fonts displayed on the screen desktop icons fonts, fonts inside pdf files, fonts on websites look more "bitmap" than "vectorized". I.e. you see pixels that build the letters and not...
  5. Displayed fonts look "bitmap" rather than "vectorized"

Displayed fonts look "bitmap" rather than "vectorized": I bought a new hard disk, installed it and every thing works fine. One thing is that the fonts displayed on the screen desktop icons fonts, fonts inside pdf files, fonts on websites look more "bitmap" than "vectorized". I.e. you see pixels that build the letters and not...
  6. Displayed fonts look "bitmap" rather than "vectorized"

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Font's look pixelated

Font's look pixelated: On every program the font looks weird. I have a Nvidia GPU if that has anything to do with it^ thats what it looks likes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fonts-look-pixelated/4c1f3dd4-2fdf-4b31-9b5c-9233a7f2ccf9
  8. I changed the font on my PC and changed it back to default. Now, all of my symbols look...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I changed the font on my PC and changed it back to default. Now, all of my symbols look...: submitted by /u/bruhh_m0ment [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jaeidj/i_changed_the_font_on_my_pc_and_changed_it_back/
  9. change the font size for all display

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the font size for all display: Would someone please tell me how to increase the size of the font for displaying on my screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-font-size-for-all-display/d9409518-186e-4da3-8566-0bf0f0c24759
  10. 1803 update made fonts look silly

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update made fonts look silly: Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically. I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display so have been using a display scale of 200% to make it readable. This has been fine in all previous versions of Windows but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change font apperance in windows verison 1803