Windows 10: Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left...

Discus and support Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, When I was 1803, I couldn't find the place in Windows 10 to change the network location for a WIFI access point to change from public to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bertram Moshier, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left...

Hello,

When I was 1803, I couldn't find the place in Windows 10 to change the network location for a WIFI access point to change from public to private. ALSO when I tried to change from public to private using PowerShell, it failed to change.

I upgraded to 1903! The ability to switch from public to private for a WIFI access point does indeed show up!! Finally!!

The problem is: Switching from public to private won't stay!

Steps:

Step One:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... b81ca55c-e742-4718-849d-6233c869f8d2?upload=true.jpg

Step Two:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... e75ba117-baaa-47a5-a301-68e1af71e4bf?upload=true.jpg

Step Three:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... ee1bd532-08df-4c0a-bb4e-6ffa5d87bd75?upload=true.jpg

Step Four (I use the LEFT ARROW icon on the title bar (upper left hand corner) to return to the previous screen/dialog:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... 34ae53cb-214c-410f-b03a-8022d39d1050?upload=true.jpg

Step Five: NOTE: The network profile / location is back to PUBLIC from the previously set PRIVATE.

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... d5dff100-962b-423f-a0b2-569beb7d8a28?upload=true.jpg

As you can clearly see, I'm now back to PUBLIC after clearly setting the network location to be PRIVATE!

To verify this is still the case, I used a different screen / dialog (Control Panel) to see the status of the WIFI access point:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... c309dfc6-da2b-4bf3-a74e-39da6e129716?upload=true.jpg

If the system can't change the network location for some reason, Windows 10 should at least give an error message stating why?!

Yes, I have Administrator privileges on the account I'm using to try and change the network location from public to private.

Thank you.

:)

Bertram Moshier, Jul 10, 2019
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Cannot change network location from public to Private - why

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... [​IMG]

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left...

Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left...

1. Version 1903: Network Location won't stay private (change public to private, use upper left... - Similar Threads - Version 1903 Network

2. Public or Private Changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private Changing: Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing. If...
  3. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  4. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  5. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. Cannot change network location from public to Private - why

Cannot change network location from public to Private - why: I have extensively viewed the net for a solution, and have tried (as far as I know) every suggestion to make the change without success. Your comments/suggestions would be welcomed Thanks in advance 28681
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023