Windows 10: Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!!

Discus and support Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just did a clean install of Windows 10. I then checked for updates a only got a few. This started me thinking since when I do 7 or 8 clean install, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by copiman, Nov 12, 2016.

1. copiman Win User

Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!!

I just did a clean install of Windows 10. I then checked for updates a only got a few. This started me thinking since when I do 7 or 8 clean install, I get a lot of updates. So, I started my google quest to learn more about Versions, Builds, and Updates for Windows 10. I read Brink's Sticky as well. I have attached a pic to show what I have. Check for updates indicate that I am up to date.

Can someone explain Version, Build, Anniversary, and updates? Or maybe direct me to information that explains what these are as compared to the old way? I'm more familiar with lets say Windows 7 Home Premium, Service packs, and monthly updates. As a student in computers and networks I think I may need to have a better understanding how Windows 10 does things.

Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!! [​IMG]

Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!! [​IMG]

:)

copiman, Nov 12, 2016

2. Disable auto update app in windows 10

Oh, I see it now..mine says Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240

So, how do I update my version?

GbolahanOlaseinde, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 v1703 No wifi Icon to connect. Please help!

I didnt update my windows. I did a clean install. Oh sorry windows v1703 is creators update. My bad!

Windows Version:1703

OS Build:15063.483

BTW, i installed latest version of drivers from intel.

saisannihith, Nov 12, 2016
  4. Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!!

This (Windows as a service and Servicing links are informative) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history

Windows 10 updates are cumulative, so you only need to install like 3-4 updates, which include everything.
    There are 3 major versions, basically: RTM (Build 10240), SP1 (Build 10586) and SP2 (Build 14393 or 1607 AU).

Updates currently download only, what is needed, lets say there is 800MB update, 10 will download only 150 MB.
    And if this was not good enough, MS is planning to improving it even further with Unified Update Platform (UUP).

TairikuOkami, Nov 12, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    From a practical standpoint it is Windows 10, Version 1607 and Build 14393.447, also referred to as the AU/Anniversary Update. The Version number changed such as 1607 [July 2016] replaced 1511 [November 2015] which replaced 10240 [the original RTM[Release To Market/Manufacturing] version]. The Build number is somewhat similar to a Service Pack as used on Win7 and earlier. It gets confusing when Upgrade and update are used interchangeably. Added to the mix of the RTM/Release version we also have the IP/Insider Preview version [formerly the Technical Preview] which could also be called the BETA or testing version. The IP version has larger Build numbers.

The .xxx on the Build number changes more frequently than the other numbers.

As to the confusion, it's important to have those numbers mentioned in questions or System Specs so solutions for the RTM version don't include those for the testing version.

Berton, Nov 12, 2016
  6. copiman Win User
    Thank you for your response. Things are starting to sink in a little. I do like the cumulative aspect. Seems MS heard the cry about updates.

copiman, Nov 12, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Right! I just did an install of Windows 7 for a friend...OMG.... over 200 different updates that took me about 2 days to finally get through - and that was after working a couple hours to just get Windows Update to do anything at all!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!!

1. Version, Builds, and Updates Oh My!!! - Similar Threads - Version Builds Updates

2. OH MY GOD STOP WITH THE ADS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OH MY GOD STOP WITH THE ADS: THE AD FOR STOP RANSOMWARE/VIRUSES THAT POPS UP ON MY SCREEN RANDOMY THROUGHOUT THE DAY IS SO ANNOYING IT HAPPENS EVERY 2-5 MINUTES WHILE I AM PLAYING A GAME OR CODING AND YOU CAN ONLY CLOSE IT OUT BY CLICKING ON IT THEN CLICKING THE X. THESE ADS HAVE MADE ME SO UNBELIVABLY...
  3. Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!: I tried updating my windows build and after installing and restarting my computer, I signed in to my account. After signing in, I noticed that it has reverted to an older version of my computer with old setup of files, old desktop placement and more. How do I fix this? Send...
  4. Oh windows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oh windows...: Was messing with the permissions for the windows apps folder, as you do. Now I can't run anything as admin and I'm struggling to get the pc to boot to an install disk to get cmd up to fix this mess. May be one of the most asshole it issues I will have with Windows submitted...
  5. Oh no!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Oh no!: I was using Chrome when I opened a new tab. I went to a website and the whole window went BLAMMO! I clicked some things and it become worse. Was it a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oh-no/cd13444d-56fe-4f89-b8e5-43c9b066017e
  6. Oh Windows

Oh Windows: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Cicada3301Cicada [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdwhon/oh_windows/
  7. Oh Boy . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Oh Boy . . .: I'm running Windows 10 Pro . . . This happened, to me before. I was opening a picture, I had downloaded. It, asked. What program to, open with? I, must have picked, the wrong one. And I clicked, use this program, always. Ah, how do I, change the program, that opens the...
  8. Oh no....

Oh no....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/murdered800times [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8236g/oh_no/
  9. Oh My God !

Oh My God !: Will resetting my pc help me to sign into my Microsoft account as it is showing the error that "Windows can't sign into your account" and signs me in with a temporary user profile? submitted by /u/Deepansh14 [link] [comments]...
  10. Oh, the Clarity of Windows 10 Versioning

in Windows 10 News
    Oh, the Clarity of Windows 10 Versioning: I’m trying to be supportive as I watch Microsoft stumble into its self-prescribed, rapid-release future. But is there really a strategy here? Or is this just Microsoft making it up as it goes along? There’s a lot to complain about, but for now let’s just focus on version...