Windows 10: Very Common Reinstall problem Not addressed in other threads very well

Discus and support Very Common Reinstall problem Not addressed in other threads very well in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a custom Build PC. Selected the free upgrade to Win10 (currently my OS). Situation: I installed a 256 GB SSD for my OS, 4TB HDD (newer) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by R8to, Nov 2, 2016.

1. R8to Win User

Very Common Reinstall problem Not addressed in other threads very well

I have a custom Build PC. Selected the free upgrade to Win10 (currently my OS).
    Situation:
    I installed a 256 GB SSD for my OS, 4TB HDD (newer) and 1.5TB HDD (old left in for reference).
    Tried to keep all OS software on SSD for quick boot up. The problem is that most software auto loads to the C: drive (SSD) unless redirected. Kids download gaming software all the time without redirecting to the D: (HDD). This download directing to the D: (HDD) was a problem that I'm not sure has ever been addressed, but when I installed the SSD it was a recognized difficulty.
    Complications:
    Built this PC for gaming and the kids. Nice to use when I get a chance (never, unless problems to solve).
    The SSD has gotten stuffed with other stuff. The older HDD has failed (no problem, it just doesn't show up on windows explorer anymore). Windows 10 updates are installed on SSD and newer HDD. Machine went from boot up in 20 seconds, to 10 minutes now.
    Question:
    If I clean up the SSD and reinstall all the "Other" software on D: (HDD), can I do a clean Win10 install on just the SSD without wiping the D: (HDD)? Can I simply unplug the HDDs and do the re-install? What about licensing etc...
    Will there be other complications? If the HDD is unplugged will it affect BIOS, or other important software related to the re-install? Should I be aware of other challenges when the HDD is replugged in? Are there any BIOS settings I need to do prior to unpugging/re-plugging it in? I plan on just removing the failed HDD in this process as well.
    Comments:
    I know of others in this predicament. All of them have installed SSDs for their OS and had this challenge. We don't want to lose our software or do a reinstall. I have anti-stuff malware defenses that include Betas and hard to get add-ons. Also have complex developer software that has gone up in cost to replace significantly.
    In the re-install process can I change the SSD to D: and have BIOS see it as the boot disk (with the clean Win10 on it) and leave the HHD as C: for all else? will this affect future WIN10 updates? My guess is that the updates will try to go to C:.

Thanks for any and all assistance, comments and advice on this.

:)

R8to, Nov 2, 2016

2. worried very much

This is exactly what happened to my son's computer, when he upgraded to Win 10 his computer crashed and it has not worked since he installed Win 10 on the first day it was made available. I suspect it has destroyed the hard drive. When he turns it on the
    only thing that works is the fan inside the computer and that's it. This is a very expensive gaming computer, Microsoft please help!

Very very very concerned, Nov 2, 2016
  3. 3 year old PC not supported by Windows 10

I just spent an entire day, with the help of an IT buddy, finding out that my tower PC is no longer supported by Windows 10. For weeks I've been bombarded with updates and reminders about upgrading to Windows 10, ver 1609, but each time I upgrade I get
    a black screen around the 75% upgrade complete mark - and I'm forced to back-out to the previous version of Windows 10. Twice a day I'm forced to close an automatic upgrade cause I know its going to fail. Today I took the chance to use Windows 10 Assistant
    - assuming that because of all the issues I've been reading about, MS finally creates something we all can use. Turns out, it fails AGAIN! Only this time, I can't back-out to a previous version....my PC goes into a continues loop of rebooting. Literally
    10hrs later and I'm forced install Windows 8.1 and I'm still working no re-installing all my programs, configuring my system and loading backed-up data.

Never again Microsoft, this was the last straw - you've lost a customer forever....but I'm sure you don't give a crap about one customer - its clear in your product and support.

Very very very unhappy, Nov 2, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

You always unplug all other hard drives when installing an OS

Windows 10 will auto activate after a clean install once you`re on line, just click skip when it asks for a key.

You windows drive is always C when you are booted into it, you can not and should not change it`s letter, and of course updates will go to C, that`s where they`re supposed to go.

All software should be installed on C, games of course can be installed on another drive, from C, that`s exactly what I do.

You say you don`t want to do a reinstall, then you say "In the reinstall process" what is it that you want to do ?

You do not change anything in the bios, you just reconnect your other drives after you reinstall Windows 10.

Make sure your W10 SSD is connected to the #1 sata port on the motherboard and make sure it is 1st in the boot order or 2nd if you want the dvd drive set as 1st.

After an install I always set my OS drive to 1st in the boot order and the DVD drive 2nd and then disable every other drive.

You can always boot from the dvd drive if you want to in the future by using the boot menu. (not the bios)

AddRAM, Nov 2, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    @R8to,

Have you thought about setting up a dual boot system? 1 completely separate OS installed for you, with only your account and login on it so the kids don't accidentally boot into yours and 1 completely separate OS installation for the kids? Use the SSD for your OS so you can control what gets stored on the SSD and what doesn't, and put the kids OS on the 4 TB hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 2, 2016
  6. R8to Win User
    I guess, but would rather not. But if I did, I'd just get another SSD and load the OS there. Boot times are so short, I'd hate to go back to the HDD process. I don't use it enough to justify a dual boot, unless I was running Linus or something else on the other SSD.
    Still this does not address how to Re-Install without damaging software on the PC. Any ideas? I'm not too smart, but have courage to get my hands dirty.

R8to, Nov 3, 2016
  7. R8to Win User
    OK, I did not know this. All the posts talk about losing everything on the drives with a re-Install. So hence my reticence in doing a re-install.
    So to summarize, you would move all unwanted software on the SSD to the HDD, then disconnect the HDD and do a clean, reformat, re-install on the SSD?
    About the key, the PC did an auto install during the free period. I don't think I have a key.

R8to, Nov 3, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

You don't need a key. Your PC already has a Digital Licence associated with its unique hardware ID recorded on Microsoft's activation servers. When asked for a key click 'I don't have one' and carry on with the install. Windows will check with the activation servers and activate automatically. Don't worry, the hard drive is not part on the hardware ID.

Bree, Nov 3, 2016
  9. R8to Win User
    Just to be clear, I go to windows, select clean install. But my hard drive is disconnected with my browser on it?
    How does that work? Assume I'm just stupid.

R8to, Nov 3, 2016
  10. Wullail Win User
    Download the ISO and create a boot install DVD using the media creation tool before you disconnect your other drives and boot from that to do the install.

Windows 10

Wullail, Nov 3, 2016
  11. R8to Win User
    Ok, after I figure out what you just told me, I'll let you know. Told you I was not so bright.
    But in my defense I have an EE and CS degree from 1983, but have been a civil engineer since. Also AT in the uscg (out in 1980). So, I'm trying. I build gaming machines, but I'm lost on the software (acronyms included).

12. Winuser Win User
    If your going to do a clean install on your SSD delete all partitions and do not format. then let the Windows installer create all necessary partitions. If I remember correctly when asked where to install Windows you select new and the installer will set it up with the correct directories.

Winuser, Nov 3, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You actually highlight the unallocated space (after deleting the partitions) and select Next. The New button is for manually creating a new partition.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2016
  14. Winuser Win User
    That's how I did it and Windows set all the needed partitions. I done it that way more than once. I just did it that way a few days ago when I did a clean install on my Acer Laptop.

Winuser, Nov 4, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    @R8to,

Realize, though, that we are talking about a clean install here. I know you talked about programs being installed on the hard drive D: drive. It's not as simple as only having the programs stored (installed to) the hard drive D: drive. When you do the clean install, all the things that happened to install those programs on Windows 10 will be erased. To restore the programs from D: drive, you have to actually re-install them - which means you will need the source setup files for them as well as any product keys or licenses for them.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very Common Reinstall problem Not addressed in other threads very well - Similar Threads - Very Common Reinstall

2. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very very weird problem with my mouse: Some days ago I plugged the main m.2SSD of a friend in my pc forgetting to remove my main sata ssd from the mobo, I got some problems and had to remove the m.2 and restart the bios, once i got back on windows I saw that I could open the apps on the task bar double clicking...
  3. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very very weird problem with my mouse: Some days ago I plugged the main m.2SSD of a friend in my pc forgetting to remove my main sata ssd from the mobo, I got some problems and had to remove the m.2 and restart the bios, once i got back on windows I saw that I could open the apps on the task bar double clicking...
  4. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Microphone not recording whole voice, but working very well with other kind of sounds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone not recording whole voice, but working very well with other kind of sounds: I'm trying to record an audio track with my default microphone integrated to my computer, but when I speak the microphone does not save the whole sentence. I tried to record a sound, and it works very well. I hope someone can help me....
  6. Mouse freezing ...sorry it seems very common

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse freezing ...sorry it seems very common: Hello, Logitec mouse, sorry mice because i just went and bought a new one to be sure. So now the wireless and the wired mice have this problem. Dell, xps15 9570 Both work fine on my surface but neither work on the Dell. After trying every solution i could find on the...
  7. Well, this is a huge mess and very, very annoying

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Well, this is a huge mess and very, very annoying: When I configure microsoft store to install my games on drive D, it happens, it is this mess leaving everything ugly and confusing and the worst is that I can not even put this mess in a single folder, has to be exposed on drive D, I like to leave all my computer well...
  8. Google remote desktop works very well.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google remote desktop works very well.: It has been fun to sit here on a Linux Ubuntu PC and work using my win 7 downstairs PC as if I was sitting right next to it. I was able to easily resolve some network sharing issues. The remote desktop streams video perfectly too. I need to set this up on win10 too. 125601
  9. Google remote desktop works very well.

in Windows 10 Support
    Google remote desktop works very well.: It has been fun to sit here on a Linux Ubuntu PC and work using my win 7 downstairs PC as if I was sitting right next to it. I was able to easily resolve some network sharing issues. The remote desktop streams video perfectly too. I need to set this up on win10 too. 125601
  10. My Windows Creators Not Working Very Well

in Windows 10 Support
    My Windows Creators Not Working Very Well: I did a clean install using MS creators update the 1st day it was released. Install went very smoothly. No problems. The first week it ran like a champ, but then started slowing down and having some glitches. Haven't seen anything like this posted anywhere here and was...