Windows 10: Very confused now

Discus and support Very confused now in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been reading the horror stories re breaking machines with updates and the like and returning home shortly after a long spell (3 months) in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Very confused now

I have been reading the horror stories re breaking machines with updates and the like and returning home shortly after a long spell (3 months) in hospital am really quite concerned what is going to happen when I fire up my two (currently) 10 machines.

Now of course I shall image or clone the drives before hooking up to the net in case something similar happens to me and I will NOT be happy if my machines break and I have to reinstall. Then this morning I read this
    Windows 10: Microsoft pushes out new build ahead of the Creators Update | ZDNet and I wonder what in heavens name is going on?? Windows new build - Creators build?? not to mention I am guessing the flood of updates that 10 appears to me at least to be getting anyway.

I am now wondering if I have done the right thing with Windows 10 as I also hear that they are thinking of taking away some of the Control Panel or maybe it all - now where is the sense in that because it makes none or is it that Microsoft want to control our computers without a by your leave?? All in all to an average user like myself this all seems to be a shambolic mess.*sarc

:)

ICIT2LOL, Mar 21, 2017

2. Windows Mobile Media Player Doesnt Recognize Storage card as a library

this worked perfectly. Thank you, too bad we have to go through all this to get things working correctly...

confused very confused, Mar 21, 2017
  3. After using windows "start fresh" tool to reinstall windows 10, cannot connect to network: says wifi is turned off.

Dear community, I have recently reinstalled windows 10 using a windows tool. The computer is completely clean, even without acer programmes that came preinstalled. While I have done this before but with a different laptop (downgraded to 8.1 from 10), this
    time the wifi refuses to acknowledge that it is enabled and behaves like it's disabled.

My wifi adapter is currently Broadcom 802.11n.

Computer: Acer Aspire E1-571.

Operating system: Windows 10.

Steps tried:

Reinstalling drivers

Reseting wifi from settings

Turning wifi on in settings (but no luck) - finds nothing and stays off - the button reverts back to disabled automatically.

Troubleshooting tells me to turn on my wifi using a button on the device. There is not button and the keyboard short cut/wifi key does nothing.

Tried removing HKM\CLIS\{988.... - No such file exists, and nor does DNI_DNE

Tried updating drivers from control panel all ways (and downgrading, then upgrading again, even deleting them and restarting).

Dowloaded driver download software - both were not helpful and needed an internet connection

Checked wifi adapter properties, says device is working fine.

In resources, there is no wireless mode.

Checked bios - no option to enable LAN or anything similar... only boot options under "main".

What the wifi sign looks like: a dark wifi sign with a red x in the corner.

Am I missing something, i.e. software?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Very confused..., Mar 21, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Very confused now

I just updated three VMs yesterday that were sitting at v1511 and all three of them were successful. I don't think you have much to worry about. *Smile

simrick, Mar 21, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    A confused confusion therapist seems to be an interesting tautology *Confused?

This new build has been in the making since last August and has been installed many times over and over again by Insiders.

Re. control panel, nothing has been taken away - all that has happened is options have been migrated to new style settings menus.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    John,

Don't worry about windows, just get yourself back to full health *Wink

The Creators Update is the next major build that non Insiders will get, the additional New build only applies to those on the Fast Ring of the Insiders Program, there was some chatter that the creators Update was imminent but it appears not , and for all we know there may be more before the actual Full release of the Creators Update.

Barman58, Mar 21, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you know what you don't read about? The 400 million + installations of Windows 10 that are not having problems.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Very confused now

Thanks all it is just stuff like that and hearing about broken machines that gives me the jitters, and as I mentioned it does seem to me to be a in a right royal mess at times .

To be honest it took me a very long time to actually install 10 in the first place at the start when all the net was awash with that privacy stuff and then I did it on dedicated machines that I had 7 keys for so could just reinstall it if things went pear shaped.

I don't know what build I am up to at home right now but the last time I had those machines on was the day after Boxing day (when I broke the leg). Well that is assuming my son thought to turn them off as I am sure the main laptop was still running when they carted me off *Shock

Ah well I'll just plod on then *Huh

Yep it's a bit of a worry eh??

ICIT2LOL, Mar 21, 2017
  9. asusG Win User
    I do clean installs periodically and am problem free , takes about 2 hours to complete install 10, install MB drivers , programs and turn off all the ridiculous default settings ie: Sharing Win updates from MY PC to others on the internet/world lol. Never had looping of reboots, BSOD or any failures I read about that might give you the jitters .

asusG, Mar 21, 2017
  10. Stevekir Win User
    Yup. That's me. New computer last June, with W10. Anniversary Update August 2, other updates from time to time automatically arrived and then installed seamlessly. The only glitch was for a month after August 2 when the comp. froze occasionally for several seconds. Said to be involving my C on the SSD. Microsoft cured that within a month. It is a puzzle why some people (a tiny proportion) have problems: hardware; adventurous software; changes in Settings?

It would be interesting if someone could expand in that list. What are the underlying causes?

Stevekir, Mar 21, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    I actually wonder how many of the problems are caused by users who hack at the system to Stop the alleged spying and privacy issues *Zip

Barman58, Mar 21, 2017
  12. dencal Win User
    *Ditto*Thumbs
    Turning off certain privacy options resets your ID....others especially in the upcoming Creator version can adversely affect other apps.

dencal, Mar 21, 2017
  13. Very confused now

Whatever MS is spying on is used to make their products better, I would be more concerned with the NSA, FBI. CIA....etc.

Josey Wales, Mar 21, 2017
  14. pparks1 Win User
    I've not really experienced anything concerning. My boxes have all been updating just fine.

pparks1, Mar 21, 2017
  15. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes I do agree I am not worried about what they (anyone) would see on my machines because it would be very boring to anyone else - I am more concerned that my machines get wrecked by those updates.
    I just think to myself that this system was putout perhaps a little too soon but that is just my own personal thought on the matter.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Very confused now

1. Very confused now - Similar Threads - Very confused

2. I am very confused as to what is wrong with my pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am very confused as to what is wrong with my pc.: I have been searching for a while now and no one else seems to have the same issue as me. I have a dual monitor setup. When I boot up my PC both monitors are responsive. The motherboard logo appears on both and text telling me the shortcut to get into the bios menu appears....
  3. I am very confused as to what is wrong with my pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am very confused as to what is wrong with my pc.: I have been searching for a while now and no one else seems to have the same issue as me. I have a dual monitor setup. When I boot up my PC both monitors are responsive. The motherboard logo appears on both and text telling me the shortcut to get into the bios menu appears....
  4. i need help regarding formatting a GPT drive, im very confused.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help regarding formatting a GPT drive, im very confused.: I purchased a newused HDD, but I'm struggling to get it formatted for use. i don't yet believe the drive to be faulty.all my searches are just going round in circles.in disk management its showing up as "2048GB, healthy GPT protective partition" which is the first odd thing...
  5. i need help regarding formatting a GPT drive, im very confused.

i need help regarding formatting a GPT drive, im very confused.: I purchased a newused HDD, but I'm struggling to get it formatted for use. i don't yet believe the drive to be faulty.all my searches are just going round in circles.in disk management its showing up as "2048GB, healthy GPT protective partition" which is the first odd thing...
  6. i need help regarding formatting a GPT drive, im very confused.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Hi , i have a very confusing issue with my new desktop .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi , i have a very confusing issue with my new desktop .: I baught a desktop with i3 processor, gigabyte mother board , ssd harddisk and from the computer shop they have installed windows 11 . So after two or three days i noticed that my desktop stuck on black screen and its not booting to windows . I have tried so many method like...
  8. Hi , i have a very confusing issue with my new desktop .

Hi , i have a very confusing issue with my new desktop .: I baught a desktop with i3 processor, gigabyte mother board , ssd harddisk and from the computer shop they have installed windows 11 . So after two or three days i noticed that my desktop stuck on black screen and its not booting to windows . I have tried so many method like...
  9. Several different bluescreens and very very confused

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Several different bluescreens and very very confused: Hello and thanks for clicking on this!In the last few weeks I have been receiving bluescreens while playing FFXIV. I'm fairly certain that is the only consistent application being run at the time of the error. I guess that and steam. Anyway the bluescreens I have encountered...
  10. Several different bluescreens and very very confused

Several different bluescreens and very very confused: Hello and thanks for clicking on this!In the last few weeks I have been receiving bluescreens while playing FFXIV. I'm fairly certain that is the only consistent application being run at the time of the error. I guess that and steam. Anyway the bluescreens I have encountered...