Windows 10: Very high physical memory usage with nothing open

Discus and support Very high physical memory usage with nothing open in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; msconfig - disable all 3rd party software startups ramMap, file explorer, nothing looks fishy scanned system with ESET, malwarebytes, hitman clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Lozy, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Lozy Win User

Very high physical memory usage with nothing open

msconfig - disable all 3rd party software startups
    ramMap, file explorer, nothing looks fishy
    scanned system with ESET, malwarebytes, hitman
    clean system with advanced system care and CC cleaner.
    nothing helps a bit

just cant figure out what is eating up my rams, have been trying to solve this issue for almost one month then i decided to start a thread.
    what actually could the the problem here or did i misunderstood how physical memory works ?

Very high physical memory usage with nothing open [​IMG]

:)

2. high memory usage

Nothing in any of the images you present indicate that your memory usage is high. Moreover, because Windows is a virtual memory system, it is best when it can use as much of physical memory as possible. If another process needs physical memory, Windows
    will swap a less active process out so the higher priority process can make use of the memory.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Apr 12, 2016
  3. High physical memory usage with no apparent reason

Hi,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

I suggest you to disable Antivirus and security-related products, if you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it
    to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Apr 12, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

For starters, you have a lot of Google Chrome instances opened. Is this normal?

eLPuSHeR, Apr 12, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Chrome opens another instance with every tab opened, there's also few instances of Bluestacks etc. To check for real memory leaks, try turning off all those and other non essential programs from even starting.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    One thing that caught my attention is that your second screenshot shows a process vmware-hostd.exe. Myself a Hyper-V fan and user I do not know VMware too well, but using my PC and Hyper-V as an example, this might explain something:

At the moment I am using 9.3 GB of my total 12 GB of RAM:

Checking the Task Manager, all running tasks, I am unable to find an explanation for this high RAM usage, although I get a hint by seeing that virtualization has several processes running:

The thing is, Task Manager does not show how much RAM my at the moment running virtual machines are using, the vm RAM usage is not shown as a process. To see that I need to check my Hyper-V Manager:

That's it; I now know that my RAM usage at the moment is pretty much as it should be, considering that I have two virtual machines using 6 GB at the moment.

The RAM used by my virtual machines is not shown in Task Manager, apart of it being included in total RAM at use at the moment.

I am of course totally aware that this might not explain your RAM usage but at least it gives reason to ask if you happen to have some virtual machines running in the background without you realizing or remembering it?

7. LMiller7 Win User
    Kari has made a good point, and I one that I suspect is often missed.

There are uses of memory, some of which can be quite large, that Task Manager tells us nothing about. One is the file cache, which incidentally is not included in the "Cached" value which is shown. Another is memory used for virtual machines. This will not be shown as being used by any of the virtual machine processes, at least not with any virtual machine software I am familiar with. This memory is allocated at a very low level by a device driver and cannot be traced to any process. The memory manager knows that this memory is not available but nothing more. As Task Manager obtains it's information from the memory manager it too knows nothing about this.

RAMMap will show more information but this is a sophisticated tool that requires considerable knowledge to make much sense of. I don't understand it very well.

Whenever you are running a virtual machine you should make a mental note of the memory it has been assigned and include it in whatever Task Manager is showing.

LMiller7, Apr 13, 2016
  8. Very high physical memory usage with nothing open

This video explains, how memory management works (does not) in 10.

Memory Compression in Windows 10 RTM Channel 9

It is completely flawed, based on my experience and regular posts on this forum about memory problems.
    I use CleanMem to free RAM (it helps with memory leaks), note that Windows cleans RAM, not Cleanmem.

For the record, I have just tried running without Cleanmem, I have soon realised, it was not a good idea. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very high physical memory usage with nothing open - Similar Threads - Very high physical

2. Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open: Hello, I noticed I'm having high ram usage when my pc is idle. I just restarted my computer in these screenshots so I don't believe it is a memory leak. i have virtually nothing open to use them ram either. Can anyone help with this?...
  3. Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open: Hello, I noticed I'm having high ram usage when my pc is idle. I just restarted my computer in these screenshots so I don't believe it is a memory leak. i have virtually nothing open to use them ram either. Can anyone help with this?...
  4. High RAM usage, nothing open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High RAM usage, nothing open.: This has been a problem since I first had the computer, Task Manager reports 25%ish memory usage even when I close almost all background apps. It's becoming a problem because I need to use more RAM but 1/4 of it is just being lost to who knows what. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and...
  5. High RAM usage, nothing open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High RAM usage, nothing open.: This has been a problem since I first had the computer, Task Manager reports 25%ish memory usage even when I close almost all background apps. It's becoming a problem because I need to use more RAM but 1/4 of it is just being lost to who knows what. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and...
  6. High RAM usage, nothing open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Very high dwm memory usage

Very high dwm memory usage: How do I fix this problem of DWM getting high usage of RAM whenever I leave my laptop hanging for awhile.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-high-dwm-memory-usage/cea2b371-9373-4183-9a95-f09a4072e800
  8. Very high memory usage, no programs open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very high memory usage, no programs open: Task manager claims that 95% or more of my ram is being used, but the values for each program adds up to under a gigabyte. Any help? submitted by /u/Currall04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv9fos/very_high_memory_usage_no_programs_open/
  9. Ridiculously High Physical Memory Usage Compared to CPU

Ridiculously High Physical Memory Usage Compared to CPU: Hi, yesterday my gaming laptop with around 8gb of RAM started to struggle to run things like google chrome without nearly crashing because of the ridiculous level the physical memory usage is at. I've tried several ways of fixing it but am at a loss for what to do. This is...
  10. Very high memory usage by "system"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very high memory usage by "system": Hi all. Im having an issue with my "System" Screenshot by Lightshot This is after 30-60min of having the computer running. Late last night it was at almost 6GB!! wtf is going on? i had Killer Networking - Home those drivers for me e2200 network card, but installed...